• Show
Clear All

• New Laptop. what ya think?

spec below.

Processor: AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7660G
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Chip type: AMD Radeon HD 7660G (0x9900)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Type: Full Device
    Display Memory: 3022 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 480 MB
    Shared Memory: 2542 MB

I think that its got no hard drive/ssd.
    I think that quad core on an amd laptop will give terrible battery life, and that it must either have a really heavy battery or will only last about 5 mins without mains power.
    I think that it probably came pre-installed with a shit version of windows.

I think that if it does indeed have a harddrive, then its much much more powerful than my laptop.
    Which means it'll overheat even more.
    and the keyboard will be hot enough to fry an egg.
    and you'll have to explicitly underclock the gpu/cpu to stop random stuttering when the drivers decide that its getting too hot.

laptops are wonderful things, don't you think?
    Some Game Thing

Comment

Sounds very nice for a laptop. Wayyyyy better than my slow pizza box... (lenovo y510, core 2 duo w/ 4 GB RAM-- intel integrated video). Should be awesome for casual gaming and will be able to run anything cutting edge of course. Do you mind sharing how much you paid for it?
      6 GB of RAM is good, though down the line you may want to get get more/replace memory as that video card may eat up system memory for demanding games.

Comment

It has a hard drive. 750gb.. I don't need more then that.. (nicely put spike).. here is the great part.. I have 4 fan inside this laptop, plenty of ventilation and it has "coolsense" technology so I don't have to worry about underclocking my gpu/cpu.. also my keyboard is nice and cool.. I am running everything at high settings, (including all games).. Laptop has not turned off in 3 days since I got it..

I payed $599.99 at best buy.. Original price is $659.99.. You save $50 at check-out and they do not even tell you about the savings until they scan it.. I was happy to save $50.

Comment

I have one of those entertainment level laptops and it's like a little vacuum cleaner under load. Pretty happy with it otherwise, just the noise irks me when I use it next to my friends with their shiny aluminum Macbook Pro's. Freaking hipsters. It's a HP and apparently it not breaking after a year is quite an achievement, but I've had it for 5 so

Comment

This one is upgradable up to 16gb according to HP... i will upgrade eventually.. it has to be sent back to the manufacture for the upgrade.. Free Shipping as long as i upgrade it within the 2 year service warranty..

Comment

Originally posted by wicked_lord View Post
              spec below.

Processor: AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
              Memory: 6144MB RAM
              DirectX Version: DirectX 11
              Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7660G
              Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
              Chip type: AMD Radeon HD 7660G (0x9900)
              DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
              Device Type: Full Device
              Display Memory: 3022 MB
              Dedicated Memory: 480 MB
              Shared Memory: 2542 MB
              Max out the ram! It's a Laptop so that's all you can do! HaHaHa!

I noticed that when I went from 4GB to 8MB on my HP laptop it didn't drastically help performance but it noticeably improved it.
              QuakeOne.com
              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
              Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
              Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

WOW WL!!

This is super cool for you and super bad for me foker!

About the battery life... ya you going to burn it so quick but who cares hehe!

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                  I think that its got no hard drive/ssd.
                  I think that quad core on an amd laptop will give terrible battery life, and that it must either have a really heavy battery or will only last about 5 mins without mains power.
                  I think that it probably came pre-installed with a shit version of windows.

I think that if it does indeed have a harddrive, then its much much more powerful than my laptop.
                  Which means it'll overheat even more.
                  and the keyboard will be hot enough to fry an egg.
                  and you'll have to explicitly underclock the gpu/cpu to stop random stuttering when the drivers decide that its getting too hot.

laptops are wonderful things, don't you think?
                  Hatoooooorade
                  Trinity APU is no slouch in terms of power consumption. It's actually better in most cases. Read all about it here Power Consumption : AMD A10-4600M Review: Mobile Trinity Gets Tested

Also, when he uses an external display, if the monitor display goes inactive that will be even less powerdraw than noticed in the graphs.

lower the voltage on the APU a smidge / retain stability / get even longer battery life.
                  Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 03-29-2013, 09:20 PM.
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Spiney View Post
                    I have one of those entertainment level laptops and it's like a little vacuum cleaner under load. Pretty happy with it otherwise, just the noise irks me when I use it next to my friends with their shiny aluminum Macbook Pro's. Freaking hipsters. It's a HP and apparently it not breaking after a year is quite an achievement, but I've had it for 5 so
                    FOK A MACBOOK PRO. No offense to any Mac owners but they are shit. PC>Mac , every day all day.
                    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I pulled the plug on the battery.. It's been 1 hour 45mins so far, and im at 63% battery left.. I've so far done.. Quake, Quake Live, Urban Terror, and browsed the web a bit.... oh.. shit, just hit 62% while typing this.. The box say's this laptop is good to run 3.5+ hours on Battery at optimal performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                        I noticed that when I went from 4GB to 8MB on my HP laptop it didn't drastically help performance but it noticeably improved it.
                        So you went from 4GB to 8MB and saw a noticeable performance increase? What wizardry is this?
                        e|------------------------0---------------
                        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                        A|---------------0------------------------
                        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

I've gotta try that sometime. I bet it loads the kernel at 666 times the speed.

Comment

Originally posted by foq View Post
                            So you went from 4GB to 8MB and saw a noticeable performance increase? What wizardry is this?
                            I was about to troll you cause i didn't see my mistake

I meant I went from 4GB to 8GB lol.

"Went from 4GB to 8MB and now Windows 8 won't load! "
                            QuakeOne.com
                            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                            Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                            Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I noticed the same thing that phenom posted last night, But i was nice enough to not call him out since i knew what he meant.

Comment

Working...
                              X