Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Gates to Resign

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/15/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Effective July 2008. He'll still be an advisor to the company, but you know that is just a ceremonial title and he'll be on vacation all the time.

That'll seem weird.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Since Mac made it personal, I think he just wants to wash his hands of the whole situation. Good for him, but dissapointing to see him go.
    "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Originally posted by Bank
      Since Mac made it personal
      Could you elaborate on that?
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

The one thing I always actually liked about Bill Gates, he, even as the head of this monster corporation, would come down and actually get his hands dirty with some code. The other programmers would usually have to fix up what he coded after he left, but think about that, that's like the CEO of Ford motor company coming to the plant and installing the engine on a new Explorer rolling off the assembly line.

That's a pretty cool thing for a CEO to do, and it reminds me a bit of myself. I love to code, as he obviously does too, and even though he's the head of this major corporation he still wants to code.

Apart from this fact, his business strategy that has undermined and destroyed so many competitors, and takes all the wind out of the sails of any little app makers, is thoroughly evil. This makes me dislike him, as he is really the one that initiated the strategy.

On the other hand, him leaving the company means Microsoft will be lead entirely by corporate officers (Ballmer and the rest) with no technologist at it's head. With no real care about the product from anyone at the top and a more aggressive bunch of business people, Microsoft may be entering an even worse era.

Comment

Originally posted by FrikaC
          The one thing I always actually liked about Bill Gates, he, even as the head of this monster corporation, would come down and actually get his hands dirty with some code.
          I've read old magazines in internet archives and apparently in the 1970's and 1980's he went to TONS of computer user groups (to those that don't know: this was a big thing in the 1970's and 1980's, physical meetings of computer enthusiasts sharing information/programs/etc.)

And back in the late 80's and early 90's I was madly in love with Microsoft. They made the best of everything -- Windows 3.1 and Microsoft Office 6 were amazing, as were the programming languages Microsoft put out.

And of course, Windows 95 and Windows 2000.

Apart from this fact, his business strategy that has undermined and destroyed so many competitors, and takes all the wind out of the sails of any little app makers, is thoroughly evil. This makes me dislike him, as he is really the one that initiated the strategy.
          In the late 90's when I saw many of Microsoft's competitors being destroyed while they simultaneously neglected their own products, I slowly began to dislike Microsoft more and more.

Here is a quote by MindzfieldX that does a better job of describing my feelings of Microsoft from the year 2000 and forward than I could do myself:

2kPro ownz XP.

I heard that Microshit has abandoned any SP updates for any windows OS prior to XP.

thats gay!

My theory :

Windows 3.1 - Windows 98SE = Sucked balls. Typical MS OS problems.
          Windows 2000 Pro = They finally get it right,and create a rock solid OS.
          Windows XP = they realized with the near-perfection of Windows2000Pro , they might bankrupt themselves if they continue making OS's that really have no flaws,they would lose a lot of the buisness of "continous upgrades , changes in OS platforms"

2000 professional was a threat to Microsoft getting richer,so they shot/fired all who made 2000 professional and then all the ownership rights fell on bill gates since he was the only corporate croney left , he scrapped the whole idea and hired a buncha newb programmers to come up with XP and restart the "making shitty operating systems" cycle.Therefor,Bill can look forward to atleast another 5 - 6 years of shitty operating systems,and make more money at the same time.
          Originally posted by FrikaC
          On the other hand, him leaving the company means Microsoft will be lead entirely by corporate officers (Ballmer and the rest) with no technologist at it's head. With no real care about the product from anyone at the top and a more aggressive bunch of business people, Microsoft may be entering an even worse era.
          I think Microsoft doesn't care anymore and it shows. They enter markets for the sake of doing so, and I don't think Microsoft is the same company that used to make every employee a millionaire anymore.

Corporations, like product lines, have life cycles. I think Microsoft left the era of having core values like having the best product and went to a $$$ and market share rules all mentality.

But the best way to make $$$ is to care about their products, and it is clear that is not first and foremost and I think this is rather widely known.

At least, those are my humble opinions on it. Right or wrong.

Comment

nt

Comment

Windows 2000 is so rock solid it's still getting frequent patches over six years late

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                Could you elaborate on that?
                Mac stooped to the level that it is (dirt) in commercial form by publically ridiculing Bill Gates. Their recent ads have been direct low-shots at PCs in general, but the earlier ones were at Bill Gates himself. Including the "I'm a PC" guy.

That's partially why I have no respect for Macs/Mac users.

Comment

I'm sure apple is heartbroken over you not liking their adds taunting pc's.
                  uakene.com

Comment

Mac users have always had the stereotype of being elitists. I'm not saying this is true, I'm just saying that is what the stereotype has always been.

So I don't think this is anything new in the Mac world.

I would say, maybe if they didn't have that and instead of being elitist looked at what doesn't work in their operating system, Macs would be more popular.

I used a Mac for a couple of weeks last year and discovered a lot of the things I take for granted in Windows are really hard to figure out on Macs.

Most of the stuff exists, but it "secret and undocumented knowledge" which is the same as the features being missing.

And the Safari browser is mighty weak. The first thing I did was load up FireFox.

There are some excellent things about Mac OS/X -- it is a fine operating system and visually is impressive as hell in so many ways. Also some of the things you can do on a Mac easily make Windows look like crap. And you aren't going to get a virus on a Mac -- the OS is very secure.

And yet, all of that combined does not make it a better operating system than Windows on a whole --- at least not right now. It is certainly a quantum leap from past Mac OS's.

If Apple ever wants to get serious against Microsoft, it would be so much less silly to see Mac user NOT using Excel --- they need to make an office suite for that OS.

It is so retarded to see a Mac user who hates Microsoft sitting there using Microsoft Office on his/her Mac. That's BAAADDD.

Comment

I used a Mac from the Mac Classic all the way up to 1998 (Mac LC 575, 33 MHz, 8 MB RAM). Systems 6, 7, 7.1, and 7.5. The one I remembered the most was System 7.1, which was dang good. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Macs, except I agree that the Mac ads are retarded and immature. Also, I hate Mac-bashers.

I might agree with you guys about Mac users being elitists, but it's so hard to find an actual Mac enthusiast. I guess they hide, because almost everyone I meet or know is a Mac-basher for some reason. (I have met the odd Mac fan though, but none of them classified as elitists, they simply enjoyed the superior aspects of the machines for the purposes they used them for).

Baker: as for office suites for mac, ever heard of ClarisWorks/AppleWorks? In 'my day' it was called ClarisWorks, and it was great. I don't know how AppleWorks ranks these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Sajt
                        I might agree with you guys about Mac users being elitists, but it's so hard to find an actual Mac enthusiast.
                        I didn't say I think Mac users are elitists (but I've known a few that were), just that they are perceived as being so due to the occasional poor taste advertisement.

I think most Mac users want something easy or less annoying than Windows. A few of them are rabidly anti-Microsoft ... and there really isn't anything wrong with that, there should be alternatives ... it just bites 'em when someone gets offended when the advertisements are a little of out mainstream.

You have to admit all the spyware/viruses and other general b.s. with Windows can get old after a while. Plus OS/X looks real cool.

I might get a Mac mini someday as an extra computer to mess around with, but it wouldn't be my main computer.

Baker: as for office suites for mac, ever heard of ClarisWorks/AppleWorks? In 'my day' it was called ClarisWorks, and it was great. I don't know how AppleWorks ranks these days.
                        Everyone I know with a Mac uses Microsoft Office. I think Apple made some pieces of an office suite, like Keynote, but as far as I know the only respected Office suite for OS/X is Microsoft's.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                          I would say, maybe if they didn't have that and instead of being elitist looked at what doesn't work in their operating system, Macs would be more popular.
                          Macs would probably be more popular if they didnt suck.

I dont care if it runs windows software, it's still a Mac. You cant even put your own hardware in it, you need to send it away to apple, stop whatever you're doing, wait however long, and give them more money.

Comment

Well, Bank is being a foo. So let's fry bacon on his number.

I guess AppleWorks was canned then... I would wikipedia it if I wasn't still awake after 39 hours. Also my wain broke and I had to use a hearse.

Comment

i agree with bank, and isnt their game compatability just complete shit? at least it used to be, not sure how things are going today

of course seeing a picture of someone playing quake 3 on a mac with a baby holstered on his chest just makes me want to blow his fuckin head off...

Comment

Working...
                              X