Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTF bots?

nm...found 'em

As I am fairly worthless right now at ctf... I'm going to download the 3-wave maps and re-familiarize myself with them. There was once a bot that did a pretty good job at ctf, I think establishing way-points or something as it played. Has anyone heard of such a bot? Is that the one on the Q1 file downloads page? That would be a little funner than running around them by myself.
    Last edited by Dilligaf; 12-24-2012, 09:51 AM.
    *I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*
    sigpic

Actually Yes! I do not know what % but do know for a fact and a fairly smart on if that too. Here is a list CTF Bots-Server Side etc
    This is only a handful of many, and there are ones out there who are "smarter" and even dumber.I also wanted to point out there are more bots out there as well. You can even stealthily alter their pings as well.

I hope the link helped. I happen to find you post after talking to some admins
    that explained a bit about them. Here is a copy of one of "its" CFG files.

(Sorry cant find it) But it was VERY EZ to do. Simply change the Zeros (no) to Ones (yes) and save the config. Run the exe. and go from there.
    They are configured a few different ways. Some use GUI too.
    **Im falling asleep here. I fell outta my chair almost.
    ttyl

Comment

It's not widely known, but RMQ has Frikbots that are able to play CTF (written by Supa).

There is no standalone version, though I'm sure it would be possible to make one by taking the bot code from the RMQ source and stripping out the RMQ related stuff (or porting the CTF parts of it to a fresh FrikbotX source).

Frikbot is a very good bot that uses waypoints, so these bots are probably the best CTF bots in existence, only no one knows they're there.
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

hmm i didnt know this. ..
        i would assume ctf bots would be harder to code than dm bots due to the hook
        ive always wanted to add frikbots to cax but never got around to it

dal if u wanna practice ctf ill play
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Right, the RMQ bots don't use the hook.

But I believe it would just be a case of adding a "use the grapple here in direction xyz and pull for 1 second" flag to a Frikbot waypoint. A halfway decent coder would be able to do it.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Any luck on the bots or the bots with the coding you were looking for?
            I actually played CTF a handful of times. I am used to the Team we have in matches. SO I entered a Quake look like game. (Nice graphics and everything was high-tech in display) Well idiot me enters the game and I kill the first guy with a flag that everyone was chasing. Then I see a guy passing me but didn't try to frag me. So I went to great strides to catch up. Again- he sees me and no fragging. Even though I fired at him. SO I finally was side by side to him. I opened up and killed him.

Next thing I know I see the Console drop BANNED- Reason: Unsportsman Like
            [Killing Fellow Team Member]
            LOL- OOPS! Too much FFA in my blood...
            Well they didn't label the game like we do in quake.
            Sadly- since I am BANNED- I cant even apologize or try their servers out.

Comment

Lol, I did something similar in TDM. I didn't get banned though, I just got called a noob. I was switching colors too much and I forgot which team I was on. The worst part is I couldn't even hit my own team... LOL!
              http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Chuck NygA created some RuneBots that would easily navigate a map using the hook, hooking across lava pits ETC on dm4 and to the Red Armor on DM1.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                  It's not widely known, but RMQ has Frikbots that are able to play CTF (written by Supa).

There is no standalone version, though I'm sure it would be possible to make one by taking the bot code from the RMQ source and stripping out the RMQ related stuff (or porting the CTF parts of it to a fresh FrikbotX source).

Frikbot is a very good bot that uses waypoints, so these bots are probably the best CTF bots in existence, only no one knows they're there.
                  That's nice to know,are the changes to AI commented do you know by any chance?
                  WARNING
                  May be too intense for some viewers.
                  Stress Relief Device
                  ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                  ---------------------------
                  .--------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by bluntz View Post
                    That's nice to know,are the changes to AI commented do you know by any chance?
                    Yes, they are commented. The RMQ source generally has a lot of comments, and the bot CTF stuff is usually commented // Supa CTF AI or similar. The main body of the CTF stuff is in its own file, too.

I would rate a port of the RMQ CTF code to vanilla Frikbot a "medium difficulty."
                    Scout's Journey
                    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                      Yes, they are commented. The RMQ source generally has a lot of comments, and the bot CTF stuff is usually commented // Supa CTF AI or similar. The main body of the CTF stuff is in its own file, too.

I would rate a port of the RMQ CTF code to vanilla Frikbot a "medium difficulty."
                      I grabbed the SDK and the windows winter installer but see nothing about CTF bots.
                      Am I to use the engine with the CTF mod? The readme included says only BSP2 maps are supported but it seems to run them.I tried impulse 100 101 20 21 and addbot but no bots were added running the CTF mod with the engine.
                      What I did see was your post from 2009 in russia.
                      "addbot" adds a bot, waypoints are included.

You can do some new moves, like walljump, pogo (simply hold Jump), stairglide (pogo up stairs), shaft climb, and there's a swinging grapple, too.
                      I added the pak0 and pak1 from the ctf mod to the rmq mod and ran CTF1,on loading the map it gave a missing waypoint error and addbot errors to unknown command.
                      Last edited by bluntz; 08-31-2013, 01:41 PM.
                      WARNING
                      Stress Relief Device
                      ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

QuakeOne - Remake Quake Multiplayer Demo

Try this, the 2009 multiplayer demo. It includes at least one CTF map, ctf1rq.

I'm not sure why the bots won't work with the demo you downloaded.

Be aware that game modes in RMQ are set like this:

"deathmatch 2" / "teamplay 1" : Gametype = CTF, pickup respawn times are 5s
                        weapons, 30s for armour and 20s others - players spawn with 125h

"deathmatch 2" / "teamplay 2" : Gametype = CTF_FF, pickup respawn times are
                        5s weapons, 30s for armour and 20s others - players spawn with 125h, friendly
                        fire enabled

Capture the Flag has bot support. As long as you haven't joined a team
                        yourself, bots added via "addbot" will auto-join the Red and Blue teams. After
                        gating in some bots (or finding some players!), you can pick a team by typing
                        "red" or "blue", or press +jump to autojoin.

Make sure you have set "fraglimit" to "0" while playing CTF. Otherwise it may
                        be a short game.
                        I tested it, and it works.

Edit: The RMQ QC source is contained in the e1m6rq demo, among other places. it might also be in the SDK. The file you want to look at is bot_ctf.qc and you'll also need to search the code for "CTF". There are changes in the other bot related QC files and perhaps also elsewhere in the code.
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Thanks Jo
                          I am interested in looking at the AI for use with the tutorbot.I do not have a good enough laptop to model on the road so I am passing my time with something a bit less demanding.
                          Thanks JB
                          WARNING
                          Stress Relief Device
                          ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

Working...
                          X