Quake 2 q2dm8 -Warehouse Conversion Darkplaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 2 q2dm8 -Warehouse Conversion Darkplaces

Hey guys. This is Q2DM8 - Warehouse retextured and converted from Quake 2. It's one of my favorite maps and I couldn't find any good ones for Q1 though I did find one for Quake 3. After converting I had to fix some of the brush work, change the lighting, textures, weapon spawns, etc. Tried to be as faithful as possible with weapon and ammo spawns but much fewer weapons to choose from in Quake 1 without mods so I just did the best I could with weapon placement. Added some ambience, fixed the func_train mechanism which broke for some reason and going to add a custom sound for the func_train mechanism soon. I also added Quad and Pent hidden in the map for those adventurous to look. Also added a few custom brushes to fix a few issues and a few more crates on the lower level to fill in some empty space and a few custom crate boxes. Otherwise it's a pretty faithful conversion.

Edit: FAIL
    Last edited by PrimalLove; 08-23-2014, 07:58 AM.

Hey!
    Just a heads up, I used vanilla darkplaces to run it and I encountered some texture issues.

It all looks kinda familiar. I haven't played Q2 in a while.
    What are you going to tackle next?
    Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
    https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
    https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
    https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

Hmm.... Not sure. I'm using the newest DP and I don't get any of those texture problems. I use to get those problems when I was first fixing the textures. I'll have to take a look at it. Thanks for letting me know. But im unfortunately at the moment unable to reproduce on my side.

EDIT:

In trying to fix it I broke the map? :/ Can't compile it anymore. "No classname in entity on line 20115". Unfortunately I don't know enough about mapping to fix this problem. If anyone knows what this means please let me know. As far as I can see the map doesn't even have an entity on that line at all. I had two wad files attached to the map and that is why it loaded them in the wrong order. Those were the old Q2 textures and forgot to remove the additional wad file after editing. When I removed the wad file it no longer compiles. :/

EDIT 2:

Looks like I got it fixed.
      Last edited by PrimalLove; 08-09-2014, 02:19 AM.

Comment

2 gripes

1) post images when you release something
        2) post related code/data when you have an error

your last post was like "Things are broken how do I fix them.“ We have no way to know what's on line 20115.
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

What was the problem? I mostly ask this cause I can't stand it when I'm searching the web for a solution and I find a relevant thread, only to realize it died before the answer was reached lol.
          'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

@MadGypsy - Those are fair gripes and I'll release the .map file in the first post. I was able to get entity problem fixed and remove the unwanted wad file. The only thing that seems to be an issue now is texture alignment. Strangely the textures will look fine in the editor (using TrenchBoom) but will show up at a different angle when complied. I suspect it's because I have errors in the BSP process that I need to fix.

@Dutch - Currently just a few errors to clean up and texture alignment issues. The original problem is resolved.

Posted Updated Link on first post. Thanks.

Comment

@Texture alignment issues: check the angle values of the textures on the brush faces. If they are decimal point values, they may display correctly on the editor but compile incorrectly in the bsp.

@The original problem: I was curious what was preventing the compiling and producing the class name error.

On a side note, the warehouse was also my favorite q2 map, it's great to see it getting q1 love. I will check it out when I get home.
              'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

@Dutch - In reality I didn't "fix" it. I simply reverted to an older file that for whatever reason didn't have the same problem. The texture alignment thing is strange but I checked and didn't have any decimals. The original problem was I forgot to remove the Q2 wad file from the map that I used as a reference to replace textures. I'm not much of a mapper so that is why I figured I could atleast tackle a conversion. :/ LOL! But unfortunately now it still doesn't compile correctly. I included the original map file I used, the error logs, etc. If anyone cares to check it out and let me know what I've done wrong. I included two versions of the bsp. One I that is older but works flawlessly on my machine using HD texture pack but has the wad problem if used in vanilla. The second one is the one I "fixed" but still doesn't compile correctly, lighting not working, and texture misalignments. I'm pretty happy with the one that works with the HD textures. It looks like I'll need to start over. I used bspc to decompile the q2 map, then used convmap with -f32 -i to convert to Q1 format. Did 90% of editing in TrenchBoom and 10% in Quark. It only took a few hours so at some point I'll just re do the whole thing to get it right. But for now, I am unsure where I went wrong. Anyway, hopefully you'll enjoy it anyway. I miss this map!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X