No announcement yet.

Guide to DM for new/non-DM'ers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, Bruce. Upload those demos mang. =)

Comment

haha, hook.dem was an awesome hook demo because of the zero mess ups, I learned a lot off that demo years ago, I think my brother and I have been looking for it for years, I think it's gone
      uakene.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy View Post
        Awesome post Retrocade. As an avid ctf'er, I have never really ever taken the time to completely learn DM, this obviously shows when I play with you all.

However, as I took the time to read your thread, it got me a bit excited, perhaps for newbies like opening a treasure chest of secrets from over 14 years of deathmatch. Contrary to what Foq believes, this isn't just a strategy map for how to play DM3, but rather, once a person DOES master the map that is played the most in the mod, the rest of the maps just fall into place with your skill level as long as you know where the weapons and powerups are.

We do the same thing in 3wave, we'll teach somebody on Elder for example. Once you learn all the hooks there, you can hook any map. Powerup respawns, when to get flags, etc etc.

What I'm saying is I love this shit. Thanks for taking time out and putting this up. You're a stud.
        If it's not a DM3 guide, then what's with the DM3-specific locations like SNG boxes, outside, etc? Contrary to what you believe, I think DM3ers get good at DM3 and stay on DM3 because they're good there. They've developed their skills on one map and one map only, and they just about suck everywhere else. They're afraid to play new maps for fear of being a noob.
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by foq View Post
          If it's not a DM3 guide, then what's with the DM3-specific locations like SNG boxes, outside, etc? Contrary to what you believe, I think DM3ers get good at DM3 and stay on DM3 because they're good there. They've developed their skills on one map and one map only, and they just about suck everywhere else. They're afraid to play new maps for fear of being a noob.
          I am quite tired of seeing you troll each and every thread with your thoughts of DM3 and how horrible it is to you, and how bad you want other people to play new maps. New maps are played all the time, so sorry for your luck not being around. Your posts are always the same: negative, and off topic.

Whatever the reason for the map being played repeatedly, it's played. And you have become such an annoyance and are throwing threads off topic just to throw your uneducated two cents in. Everybody was giving good comments, and then comes you. I've also warned you about posting the truck especially when not needed. If you can see this, you've almost reached my final strand of annoyance. Enjoy your temp ban. And I'm going to say this once and only once: this has nothing to do with the fact that your opinion differs from mine, it's the fact that I'm tired of seeing you troll this community with your negativity.

You will be allowed back on July 23rd, and if your trolling continues, so will the infractions. And if you evade again, as you did this morning with "Ed Hill" account (which is now banned for 10 days as well), I will make it permanent.
          Last edited by Frenzy; 07-13-2011, 11:48 AM.
          uakene.com

Comment

Shut the truck up brah.
            For the record, I was RE:some asshole , and not telling Chad to Shut his Truck up.
            Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 07-13-2011, 12:44 PM.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

anyhoo....back to topic, i wouldnt mind a thourough DC guide, retro covered it a bit but.....
              -does the amount of cells you have matter? can you dc someone w/ 10-12 cells, or dc the entire water room w/ 100?
              - is line of sight very important?
              -does having the top of your head out of water make it more powerful?(i've seen tv/scp do this alot.

thanks for teh helps

as for my contribution- i seem to spawn at mound/sng alot....mound spawn i grab mega, gl from water and then head to ra,,,sng spawn i grab sng/mega and run to ra...in both cases i hope to find the first rl lookin for ra to head to 2nd quad.

it seems to me 9/10 times the team w/ most quads is goin to win the game (usually just beacause they have more control) so GET THE FN QUAD.

Comment

Correct smokey dc is proportional to cell level.
                Anything in the air or touching metal within radius.
                It also leads to an interesting tactic i use a bit.
                If your cell count is low and health armor high you can dc in the water without pent and live.

For Graph
                When you spawn at rl grab it and immediately go for lg if team gets pent before you get to lg peel off and get the gl leaving lg for team pent.
                If team doesnt get pent before you get to lg take it and get out assume enemy pent Head for mega ra.

Dont pick up ammo you dont have a weapon for especially rox, otherwise you are arming the enemy if you die.
                In fact dont even touch them go completely around them and dont jump cause they are listening.
                Slow down on the stairs to avoid the thud.
                Another basic is to show up at the quad spawn no matter what shape you are in and support your team
                even if you hurl your smoking corpse on the quad.

RL turnovers can be game changers so I like to keep
                10 or less rox in my pack just in case it falls into enemy hands its damage may be reduced and maybe recovered.
                Last edited by bluntz; 07-13-2011, 09:27 PM.
                WARNING
                May be too intense for some viewers.
                Stress Relief Device
                ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                ---------------------------
                .--------------------------

Comment

sorry been busy last few days.

How do I convert .dem to avi or mpeg-4?

I have hook.dem as well as various other "old school" training demos. I can post them.

Not sure where or how as I'm a net n00b and all my time is focused on improving my ability to spawn near paks.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce2 View Post
                    sorry been busy last few days.

How do I convert .dem to avi or mpeg-4?

I have hook.dem as well as various other "old school" training demos. I can post them.

Not sure where or how as I'm a net n00b and all my time is focused on improving my ability to spawn near paks.

Thanks!
                    Can you go to "File Downloads" and "Upload" that hook.dem as well as old training demos in the right category? You have the option of so as a user, this would be great.
                    uakene.com

Comment

Give all the RL ammo to me, so I can fn spam "4leaf" grenades
                      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I never really thought about strategy in death match tbh, other than shoot anything that moves and run away when hurt hehe. I would play but I only seem to find servers populated with the bad bots that jump into the lava all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Quake Jesus View Post
                          I never really thought about strategy in death match tbh, other than shoot anything that moves and run away when hurt hehe. I would play but I only seem to find servers populated with the bad bots that jump into the lava all the time.
                          thats because shoot anything that moves and run away when hurt is the only real strategy for actual death match. folks around here have a bad habbit of calling things something they aren't. clearly, this guide was written about CRMod, not death match.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Knight View Post
                            clearly, this guide was written about CRMod, not death match.

Let me file this response in my Who Gives a Fuck folder.

Comment

Haha be nice.

Comment

Yeah, be nice. You might just hurt my feelings.

...couldn't type that with a straight face.

Comment

Working...
                                X