Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could tell you a fun small detail I believe you missed.

I don't know about the specific gun you chose but usually those battery powered nail guns have a whirr sound every so many shots because they have to charge a very small internal compressor. The "reality" whirr sound is much too long for in-game but, maybe a shorter, more powerful sounding whirr could be used every time a new battery is loaded. Like the installation of the battery does a one time compressor charge. Also you could make the removal of the battery initiate the sound of unplugging a compressir from a tool and show lil moisture clouds spit from some vent or bleeder valve on the gun. This would not only be awesome it would make sense. Real compressors need to be cleared of moisture often and its always done by letting all the air out.

Those guns (paslode anyway) generally need CO2 as well but tgat would be so much work, having all that to reload. You already have nails and batteries.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• in regard to you mentioning moisture clouds and a hiss/whir sound:
      i actually have been playing with the idea to perhaps make some clouds come from holes on the back-side of the extruded parts if you fire a lot of nails in a short time

perhaps one idea i'd have is to add an automatic fire-mode to the gun,
      and make that if you use that mode the weapon needs to blow off steam with every magazine you go through

to balance out the fact the automatic mode is faster,
      you'd need to wait a tad after each magazine cuz the gun needs to recompress
      Last edited by talisa; 02-10-2015, 12:45 PM.
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Thats a good spot. You would easily be able to see it from fp view. If moisture clouds started spitting out of that vent on my real life guns, I'd be very concerned... . That would be kinda like moisture clouds coming from your computer power supply vents. Definitely not good.

That gun actually seems really small to even have a mini compressor. I wonder if they are doing it some other way. Maybe an electric hammer of some kind.

Comment

• You could do that with planes with clouds on them animated to come out of where the smoke comes out. I don't know how good Quakes particle system is. It might be better to use that.

Quick one I did a while ago. Blender, XNormal, P-shop and Marmoset Toolbag.
          Attached Files

Comment

• @teamonster
            DP actually has a really great particle-system, which also has smoke flags for particles

but i meant to make it do that in second life, not in quake.
            i made the model for second life and have no intention to do any more work on it for quake.

fancy jug-model btw

what did you make them for?
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Cool!

The jug was made for TurboSquid.

I didn't know they had PvP in SecondLife.

Comment

• @teamonster
                sure they do, there exist a whole shitload of special 'combat-systems' and 'RP-systems' in SL which are made specially for this purpose,
                to allow people to fight each other with guns, melee-weapons and even magic spells and such.

one of the most popular combat-systems in SL is CCS (Community Combat System),
                a combat-system specially made for people who roleplay in sims which use the system.

it has many fantasy-races to pick from, classes like tank, DPS and healer,
                stats like strength and intelligence endurance and the like
                it includes a set of spells for every class which can be used with the F-keys
                and the system includes health, stamina and mana-bars

so basically it gives you the same fighting-system like RPGs have

you can use any ranged or melee-weapon you might have with it,
                and there are shops that sell special 'enhanced' weapons which do extra damage or that can cause status-effects on your opponents
                although not much people use these 'enhanced' weapons

Comment

• doubt its something most of you would be interested in,
                  but last night i randomly got the idea to make a 3D-model of a cat-tower

Comment

• That is actually kinda cool! Do they have pet cats in Second Life?

Comment

• @primal
                      thanx!

and yes they do! there's all kinda pets in second life. dogs cats bunnies, hamsters, horses... even wild animals like tigers and foxes.
                      one of the most popular brands of pet cats are the kittycats

i myself have a husky as well as a fox.

the fox is very old though and you can really tell by how it looks

however it looks alright-ish when its standing still

but, as soon as it starts to move... yeah, not so much
                      [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3IdIu-36c[/ame]
                      the movement of limbs is choppy and the limbs are litterally single solid pieces which hinge at the shoulders/hips of the fox,
                      and as you can see the pet has the tendency to just slide around as a static block very often when moving around
                      ....which really ruins the illusion of being an actual animal

the husky looks a loooot better. its a more recent pet from 2012, and you can really tell by how it looks.

its much more detailed mesh with 3D fluff, the limbs are each seperate sections,
                      and the animations look much much better in comparison:
                      [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6LpdS_skB0[/ame]
                      also the pet doesnt have the same weird bug as the other one which slides around
                      Last edited by talisa; 03-09-2015, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• lmao @ cat-tower. You should oversize it, wrap it in a skybox that looks like a kitchen and make it a quake map. Maybe when you finally get to the top, this huge cat appears (chthon style) and you have to defeat it by running over some buttons that release a giant dog which chases it off. While you run over the buttons the cat makes swipes at you through the holes in the cat tower. It could be like a 5 or 10 minute map just for fun. Your only enemy on the way to the top could be some mice catnip toys or summin. You could call the map Qitty Qat Tower.

To make it even sillier, go anti-lovecraftian and make everything really cute. You might think it's a hell of a lot of work but, it's already silly so, it doesn't have to be awesome, and you could probably find the models already done and for free on turbo squid or the like.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 03-09-2015, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• and shazaam! the model is done

the cat laying on top of the highest pad is one of my avatars in second life
                          Last edited by talisa; 03-09-2015, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• That's awesome.
                            As an owner/slave to three geriatric felines,
                            I approve of this structure!

At this point in there lives only the youngest (Miko, 9yrs) would make it atop your creation.
                            They require only food & a warm fireplace (with the occasional stroking session, of course).
                            The oldest has lost it completely and "talks" to you. Back and forth, (tho' of limited vocabulary) the conversation can last ages.
                            Last edited by Adam; 03-09-2015, 05:53 PM.
                            Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
                            https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
                            https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
                            https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

• it looks ok but, it doesn't look like it's on the floor. Also, the proportions of the cat and tower are waaaaaay too small in contrast to the floor boards.

Comment

• It would make a great Quake level. Go for grumpy cat at the top though... With laser eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X