X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just worked a bit on the nailgun i am making

started on the magazine-part
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Looks good!
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

• thats really good, Talisa. Did you use an array to make the rail?
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• i made a long cylinder and then added loops to split the cylinder into 5 parts,
          and then extruded each face and scaled the extrusions using the 'individual origins' setting to create the holes

cant extrude them all at same time cuz they are connected.
          blender will treat them as a single face if you try that

Last edited by talisa; 02-01-2015, 04:49 PM.
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• linear arrays

radial arrays

note: I made up both of those terms, I don't know what they are actually called

Below is a product of array. I know it looks a bit silly texture-wise, my friends and I were making racist jokes about putting solid gold rims on off-road tires BUT it is an excellent example of radial arrays. When you realize I only made one wedge of the 32 wedges that make up this tire, it becomes clear how powerful arrays are.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-01-2015, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• ah interesting. i can see how that could be usefull
              Last edited by talisa; 02-01-2015, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• oh, as an aside, when making circular things like tires it works better to be 36 wedges. The reason is simple to understand. You will need to do more than just make a radial array for a tire. For instance, the holes in the rims will almost never work in an array. They should be added to a larger wedge via booleans and that new wedge can be re arrayed. If you are using a numbrr that does not evenly divide into 360, when you go to do other operations like booleans, the topology won't match up and you will end up with some really nasty edges. Consider a wheel with 8 lugs and 6 decorative holes In the rim. Thats 2 completely different ratios but 36 wedges could handle it evenly. 32 or any other number which doesnot divide into 360 evenly probably wont.

Comment

• curved arrays

This is the method I used for the wires in my turret.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-01-2015, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• @gypsy
                    i can see how that could definitely be usefull gypsy!
                    being able to easily make wires, pipes and rods in a certain curve like that could save a lot of work

adjusted the rail to be for bigger nails, added the missing black-thingy on the side, and added the top to the rails

also got the idea to split the battery into its own model so that i could add that every so-many nails,
                    (something like every 600 nails? thats 20magazines) you will also have to replace the battery in-game

oh almost forgot, i also quickly whipped up a nail in blender (which is also in top pic)

doesnt look to fancy in blender, but it will in-game when it has gloss
                    Last edited by talisa; 02-03-2015, 03:50 AM.

Comment

• more progress!

added the trigger, the part which connects the rail to the base, and nails.

also decided to continue with the battery idea and i added a hollowed-out area
                      for socket to the bottom of the base where the battery's plug will go in.

i'll just simply make the texture fade to black upwards inside the socket so that i wont have to further model the inside

close-up of the nail magazine that the player will be seen putting in the nailgun on reloading:

Comment

• model itself is done

now to get to the UV-mapping next

Comment

• You're pretty fast with Blender.

It might look even better with smoothing groups.
                          Scout's Journey
                          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

• Why didn't you guys tell me that you were hiding here?

Here's a spider I did recently. Basic model in Blender, sculpted in ZBrush and then baked down to a new low poly in XNormal.

Comment

• oooh looks neat teamonster!
                              reminds me a bit of the spider aragog from harry potter, but then in red

@GB
                              of course it will have smooth shading in-game, but i show it with flat shading cuz in blender the model
                              will look weirdly shaded without proper edge-splits, and i always wait till the last to split edges

Comment

• Tea the spider looks Nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X