Quake sound used again in tv show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
    It's from the series 6000 general collection, a commercial sample library used everywhere in professional sound production in the last few decades. That library contains much more than just the very few Quake sounds. You're bound to encounter these sounds everywhere because everyone producing anything containing sounds uses that library.

Theoretically this could be used to give us 100% faithful hi-quality Quake sound replacements (the original samples were downsampled to 8 bit 11kHz to save space). The problem is that a video game license of that collection is too expensive for anyone here to fund (even if we had a Quake license), and id probably isn't interested.

Anyway, the Quake sounds were not all lovingly handcrafted by Trent Reznor, they were just lifted off the most common sample library available.

Edit: They have audio demos from the library on their page, you'll hear the Quake explosion sound about a minute into it as well as lift etc sounds.
    The Missing Link (FreeQuake can exist with sound replacements?)
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I don't understand what you mean Mindz.
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Quake1 can not be offered "for free" because the last hurdle of "custom content to replace all of ID softwares content" was sounds.

It is very much a goal/dream of mine to have a fully-functioning 'Free Quake' ,

Every map has been re-textured, all map designs was GPL'd by Romero right?

What else is there to STOP a free version of Quake being offered?
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I see, but you'd need a license to use the samples from the General collection in your game.

It's a much better bet to use stuff like tenshihan's sound pack.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I would never "go on my own" and do anything "period" unless I had 2-3 other license knowing/understanding type people who understood that portion.

Quakeone.com SHOULD have a "Want to play Quake?Click here" that's 100% legal, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
              Quakeone.com SHOULD have a "Want to play Quake?Click here" that's 100% legal, imo.
              Except it wouldn't be Quake...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiney View Post
                Except it wouldn't be Quake...
                It would be Qauke,if anything arose from such a venture (anyone interested in this w/ me?)
                How do you figure? TO ME, Quake is in

-Netplay
                -Physics are nice in Q1, they will ACCURATELY translate

Pure and simple, what I see and what I hear = nothing comapred to what the gameplay of netquake has to offer.

Comment

I hear that water drop cave ambiance track in a ton of things, movies, TVs, other games

Not sure if it was something the 'id' recorded or something they borrowed
                  +Rep! I'm going to the top!

Comment

I hear that 'shambler sight sound' in other sources that have little to nothing to do with Quake more than any other one of these 'sounds from Quake'.
                    I've heard it used in at least a couple '2D fighting game' characters... probably more...

Back in the Early 2000's there was a TV show on Nickelodeon... about a kid in a wheelchair. It was named ''Pelswick''... that was the main character's name.
                    Done in the drawing style of the original Science Court cartoons (I've you've seen Home Movies on Adult Swim you'd recongize the animation/drawing style immediately) it only lasted about 2 weeks before it stopped having new episodes and goin' off the air (essentially canceled, gone the way of every second FOX drama).
                    What was interesting about that was the kid had some 'magical wizard' that nobody else could see to help inspire him and get him through life (I feel really retarded typing this out but I'm not even making this up)... and every time he'd teleport in and out it would use Quake's teleport sounds...
                    As if that wasn't bad enough it was like ONLY Quake's teleport sounds. I heard 4 of the 5 different total teleporter sounds in Quake across like 11 different teleports in/out and I'm like... that's exactly the same sounds they used in Quake...
                    Here we have some half-assed 'wheelchair-friendly kids drama' and they are gonna use the same sounds from a PC game where you blow the heads off of interdimensional shamblers to avoid them killing you first... Thought that was weird.
                    I guess these 'sound libraries' really are used everywhere.

There's no escpaing them either. I was watchin' near the end of some documentary on the History Channel about the human fascination and fear of Werewolves over the last hundreds of years and in some murky dungeon scene they played the classic 'water drip' sound used in Quake in its entirety and almost uninterrupted by any other sound at the time...
                    I've even been channel surfing and come in on some documentary thinger about Sahara desert travellers... and when they are showing camels lying down... they just played the same noises made by angry imps, demons, floating skulls you name it from Doom when they grunt idly, take damage, get toasted and so on... I'm like, camels don't make that noise, demons from hell are supposed to make that noise...

Comment

Working...
                    X