I do not think that I am an old, boring person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do not think that I am an old, boring person

"What? You still play Doom and Wolfenstein 3D? What is wrong with you? Get with the times!"

^

There were times when I had to put up with that type of behavior.

Some people think that if someone still plays PC games from the 90's, he or she should be sitting on a rocking chair.

But I am aware of the changes that have occurred in the world of gaming. I am aware of SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Combined Assault, and Halo 3. I know that there is a Taco Bell event where one could win a Playstation 4 before it is released.

Meanwhile, Doom and Quake are always changing and evolving, because new mods are being released frequently. So I pay attention to the media and I download new mods. So, I have managed to keep up with the times.
    "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Stop giving a shit about what most people say.

It's a trait of modern consumerism, if you don't always buy the latest gizmo you're supposedly weird.

Nowadays most things are designed to quickly become obsolete. People supposedly "need" a new car every few years, a new TV, a new kitchen, a new iphone, whatever. Why is this? Because it generates income and profit.

It's artificial. No one actually "needs" a new game console. You can safely disregard that kind of brainwashing. Do what makes you happy.

If you'd like a PS4 or a new COD game, go for it, but if you're happy with DOOM, more power to you!
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

The existence of this thread baffles me.
      twitch
      wew lad

Comment

I love SOCOM... RIP FTB1
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

I still play Doom and Quake a lot. I also play some newer ones as well (e.g. Skyrim, GTA5, DIRT 3). If I had decent latency to the US I would still be playing Quake online.

Nothing wrong with that. Games (especially shooters) didn't really get much better in terms of gameplay. It's a nostalgia thing for me as well. I miss the old days when public servers were constantly full. Maybe I am just an old man trying to relive the past. Who knows.

Doom and Quake may have had a bigger impact on gaming (and technology in general) than any other. If anything you should feel proud and lucky to have been there when it all happened.

Comment

The latest game that have exellent multiplayer is Quake 4, and i love singleplayer of quake1 (in quakewrld i sucks, i love doom, and play doom everyday at zandronum).
            Hexen:Edge of Chaos: News - my most awaiting game
            Qtracker - for easy searching of Quake and HeXen II servers
            HeXen II: All Source Ports List - i am collecting everything for HeXen II
            HeXen II Files - under development
            Me at Facebook - want play hexen2 multiplayer write me
            hexen2 ftp
            hexen2 maps, mods, addons, etc, torrent

Comment

I'm currently finishing Spear of Destiny on “I am Death Incarnate!"

Fact is these games aren't TOO OLD. They are TOO FUN! I'd rather try to sneak around halls and rooms that are the same height everywhere, along with repetitive textures with Nazis just popping up and making me jump than some crappy linear new first-person shooter. Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, and a bunch of other shooters from the 90s had that "Here's the first level, have fun kid. Some monsters started where you spawned? Too bad." Now most games are all about a long introduction scene with constant interruptions, pointless cut scenes, and no sense of exploration. Too much hand holding. I honestly can't think of a recent new first person shooter that REALLY reeled me in. The last shooter that I actually made a big deal about was Half-Life 2.

Me and my buddies actually still get together and play four-player Bomberman once a week on the SNES or Genesis. We actually play Quake II on the N64 as well (you can't duck for some reason). You can't beat the classics. Even music was much better in the 90s and before, along with most movies.
              Last edited by Trickle; 11-07-2013, 05:19 AM.

PLAY QUAKE DODGEBALL!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-dodgeball

Trickle's VWeps

Comment

@WhiteMagicRaven

I had fun playing on Q4MAX servers!

PLAY QUAKE DODGEBALL!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-dodgeball

Trickle's VWeps

Comment

I just started to bother with modern multiplayer gaming. As fun as 64 player Conquest games in BF3/4 are, I won't hesitate to fire up Quake when I see games going on (and im not going to bed. Ugh,all the games are at night lately,late)
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

"What? You still play Doom and Wolfenstein 3D? What is wrong with you? Get with the times!"
                    I haven't heard anything similar in a long time. The recent experiences I made when talking about older games were rather positive, to be honest.
                    On one occasion a university professor started talking to me about how he enjoyed the old Conter-Strike, after he saw me playing Q1 to pass time on a night shift
                    The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.
                    - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

I think *I'm* old and boring. Wanna fight about it???

Comment

Tank Battle, Atari 2600 FTW!
                        Nekkid

Comment

Originally posted by quakenekkid View Post
                          tank battle, atari 2600 ftw!
                          get some!
                          QuakeOne.com
                          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I remade pac-man a long time ago and I still play my version frequently. So, it's kinda like I still play pac-man (kinda). I think I posted it here before but just for shitz & giggles here is my version

The file inside the zip is an exe but it doesn't install anything. Way back in the flashMX (6) days you could save flash projects as a standalone player. That's all it is, my flash project with an exe wrapper. The game is stupid but actually pretty addictive.

To my knowledge no one (including myself) has ever beat it. All you have to do is eat all ?510? dots. Actually if someone can beat this and tell me if the win screen works it would be great (take a screenshot). I already know about the "E" getting cut off in the lose screen, it is what it is.
                            Last edited by MadGypsy; 11-13-2013, 01:50 PM.
                            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Okay, but put some pants on first, for Shub's sake!

Comment

Working...
                              X