Happy birthday DOOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy birthday DOOM

Happy 20th Birthday Doom! Why Doom is the seed of all modern games | GamesRadar

Doom turns 20.

This means doom came out on the 10th of december, this also means a day after my birthday I can have an extra celebration and play epic amounts of doom (and get away with it)!

So yeah, celebratory noises and such are in order.
    twitch
    wew lad

Happy Birthday Day OMac! Sorry I am a day late but you know what they say "A day late and a dollar short." Which I guess means you aren't getting a dollar either

How old are ya'?

Also, how are you a Sagittarius but you aren't a fiery mess? I never used to believe that crap til I read about Sagittarius and was like "Ohhhh, that explains everything"

Read this I almost don't like it being this simple to figure me out.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-10-2013, 09:47 AM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Happy birthday(in europa we have 10 december 19:37) !
      Last edited by Sza; 12-11-2013, 11:33 AM.

Comment

happy 20th B-day to doom

still among one of the best games ever made.

it was awesome in 93, its still just as awesome today <3
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I'm 19, so I'm a day short of being exactly 1 year younger than doom
          twitch
          wew lad

Comment

LOL I just realized I wrote "Happy Birthday Day" ooops anyway I hope your Birthday was awesome. May you have exactly 19 more.
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

I knew it but forgot it... happy birthday and hope you the very best!!

Comment

DOOM 20th Anniversary Event Video

DOOM 20th Anniversary Event Video on Vimeo from john romero

Comment

oh yeah, happy belated b-day to you as well oMac
                  are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                  > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                  everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Doom creator John Romero leads us through the game's legendary original episode, sharing stories and secrets.

We Play Doom With John Romero - IGN Video

Comment

indeed, happy birthday doom!

still have gb upon gb of doom wads from today and yore in my hd lol

so many maps im not sure i could ever get around to playing them all.. but whatever variety is nice

and obviously we have our bit of fun with brutal doom too, i still like to keep some vanilla og wads too though... its all good stuff

Comment

I am bringing this thread back up because I have something very important to say regarding Doom and Quake... Contrary to what many people believe, I do not think that Doom was the peak of idsoftware. I think that Quake was the peak of idsoftware. Quake's release was the most prosperous time for idsoftware. When Wolfenstein 3D was released, idsoftware got its first taste of popularity. Doom boosted idsoftware to a whole new level. But even Doom could not defeat Quake. I congratulate Doom for bringing in the sci-fi/horror elements (during the early 90's, that was very original). However, Quake brought the horror elements to a whole new level. When I was playing Quake for the first time, I felt as if I was "being swallowed by a movie". Anyways, Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake belong to the Golden Age of idsoftware. idsoftware will live forever.
                        "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

For me Quake is the peak but also marks the start of the decline of id Software. It is my favourite game by them, it could've been so much more but due to time constraints they decided to just make a Gothic DOOM clone with few RPG elements resulting in the breaking of the company. At this point id Software wasn't the same. I don't think this is the golden age though, I think this is the platinum age for id Software.

I would honestly also include Quake II and Quake III in the golden age though. Quake II had pretty awesome mechanics and quite a good storyline with absolute bad-ass level designs which told the story for you. Quake III Arena although lacking any storyline was completely refined in terms of multiplayer and had elements that led to a large community that had (and still has) large amounts of modding and mapping going on.

Comment

I'm finally playing Doom after finding a copy of it at a thrift store. Always heard of it, never had the opportunity to play. Funny enough, I'm very comfortable playing it since I've played Quake but also Hexen (never got around to playing Heretic...yet...)

Anyway, being able to play it with Quake controls (WASD and mlook) give the game a natural feel for me. And honestly, the only thing that scares me is not knowing the traps like I do in Quake, so occasionally I jump when I realize a ceiling is closing down on me.

Shotgun is my definite favorite weapon too. I'm playing the last chapter of Ultimate Doom, and then have Doom 2 and Final Doom left to go. So far survived well.

Comment

Working...
                            X