The "Steam" Update of Quake Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Steam" Update of Quake Live

This post is an active WIP The next update will include a large number of gam - Pastebin.com

I'm not sure anyone has discussed this on here yet, but apparently these changes are legit. What do you think about them?

Could be a sweet deal! Could add some needed variety for those new to Quake to get the younger audience and still leave the "legacy" style of gameplay for us oldies. I think it's a step in the right direction indeed!
    Last edited by PrimalLove; 08-20-2014, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I still think the idea of Quake Live in general has been wrong since subscriptions, like we can't all just go back to Quake 3 and download those maps and features which aren't available freely in Quake Live.

This update will be very interesting even if horrible, I would be very interested in what the majority of the fanbase would do in reaction to this when it's officially out. Thus far they've been quite annoyed, so I wouldn't be surprised if at least the old school players go back to Quake 3.

Comment

Those features would be easy to add into something equivalent to quake live that is free. Ioquake3 comes to mind. Could easily add a server side mod that would include such features. Quake has similar types of mods that make the gameplay a bit newer. Like CAx, etc. Also I disagree. Quake Live has really revitalized the quake scene. Especially tournament play. The subscription thing is just a to make money and its really not bad. In fact the got rid of the premium subscription and now just have Pro. It's like 4.99 a month or 35.99 a year. That lets you make private games, access to all gametypes, arenas, etc. It's pretty cheap compared to say a MMO subscription. But most of this content you can get freely if you simply own Quake 3 or similar and have a few mods available. But in terms of it revitalizing the quake scene I definitely give it props!
        Last edited by PrimalLove; 08-20-2014, 09:50 PM.

Comment

That's not how you troll well.
          Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

I am not convinced that, that article is even written by anyone at id or bethesda.
            QuakeLive did get a new front end, so you dont load it through your browser.
            Why would they sell QuakeLive on steam?

If QuakeLive wasnt enough of a nerfed version of CPMA, reading this pastebin, looks like it will even be worse!
            Last edited by R00k; 08-21-2014, 09:04 AM.
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Yes, it will come to Steam. The linked Pastebin is some really dumb and obvious trolling though.
              Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

ya i'm just saying the ideas in that 1st pastebin post are completely the wrong direction to take quakelive. Might as well have full inventory on spawn and noclip enabled, with health at 999.
                It looks to me like a novice player wrote that, to gain popularity with dumb ideas so the community would rally up and make the devs change the game.
                Games should be challenging or else its not a game but instead, a movie.
                www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

hah, wonder if this sets the stage for a mass exodus

QLive moves to Steam, causes rife in the ranks!
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                    Yes, it will come to Steam. The linked Pastebin is some really dumb and obvious trolling though.
                    Why are the mods insisting to delete any thread or post regarding this troll? And why are they neither "confirming nor denying" this on the IRC channel if it's trolling? All they have do to is say: "this isn't real, you were tricked." which is what they haven't done. Sponge has partially confirmed in the IRC channel:

Code:
                    <+ia> i think running faster with gauntlet out needs to go
                    <+ia> that's just dumb
                    <ika> I think it's fine
                    <ika> loadouts on the other hand are dumb
                    <+ia> and a blatent cs rip off... quake can do better
                    <+ia> *blatant
                    <+ia> i dont even know what a loadout is from anything besides ql focus
                    <@sponge> you know many shooters will have  different speeds per-gun? also cs has guns slowing down your base speed,  we have one weapno that speeds it up
                    <+ia> well what i meant in more detail sponge, is  i think it's ok if you only have gauntlet or maybe 1 gun, then you can  walk faster cause you have less mass
                    <+ia> but if you just copy them and change movement speed based on weapon that's out
                    <+ia> i mean i think that's stupid in cs too
                    <+ia> so i don't think just copy/pasting it is a good idea
                    <@sponge> how about because its fun and lets you chase people down more easily
                    <@sponge> neither of us thought of cs once while talking about it
                    Sevenix|2 [[email protected]] has joined #quakelive.focus
                    Q [[email protected]] has set mode +v Sevenix|2
                    <[eXodus]> its never been a part of quake and it doesnt add anything
                    <+ia> it's just going to mean people with good movement can gauntlet anyone
                    <[eXodus]> and that 75 damage gauntlet
                    <[eXodus]> its just horrific
                    <@sponge> who gives a shit if its been a part of quake

<marcu5> sponge i meant to ask this.. exactly how much of a difference with the 50-100ms jump delay make? and why the change there?
                    <sponge> marcu5: basically it doesn't it just makes holding down jump feel a million times smoother

Comment

Looks like QLive is suffering a modern equivalent of Q1's oldschool issue , "You're changing shit that I take for granted and I'm gonna have to ride my bike a bit differently than I normally do!"

Just like when CAx took precedence over CA+ as being the go-to flavor of Clan Arena, You made RL too powerful my LG doesn't complete anymore 3 hits and im dead,yada yada.

Then r00k had to explain CA+'s nerfed RL damage , which no one listened extensively,it's just different and I don't like it!

I I I
                      ME ME ME
                      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Lol, I don't really care anyway-- most people say they're going to go back to Quake 3 when this update comes. I will still be interested in playing this Quake Live 2.0 though, just to see what it's like...

What I don't understand is why they could at least make these changes options.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Warlock View Post
                          Lol, I don't really care anyway-- most people say they're going to go back to Quake 3 when this update comes. I will still be interested in playing this Quake Live 2.0 though, just to see what it's like...

What I don't understand is why they could at least make these changes options.
                          You're right, it happened with NetQuake/Quakeworld! but this time the game exists outside our own ecosystem (our PC's) and is located elsewhere. I dig what you're saying ,give the current QuakeLive a spot to remain as-is , but that would divide the resources on the backend for them,and unlike the NQ/QW fiasco they would have to shoulder the costs of effectively hosting a dust-gathering version of QLive and a perpetual never ending to updates Steam flavor of Qlive.

THIS SHIT IS FUCKING DEJA VU BRO. ?!?!?! Am I reading into this scenario correctly? Is this the past rearing its ugly ass head in modern times? Maybe they are learning from the previous mistake of effectively dividing the community (NQ & QW divided,respectively,unable to frolik with each other in any capacity!) and entirely abandoning QLive browser , as opposed to allowing it to be an option at all!

Oy Vey....WOE IS ME.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                            You're right, it happened with NetQuake/Quakeworld! but this time the game exists outside our own ecosystem (our PC's) and is located elsewhere. I dig what you're saying ,give the current QuakeLive a spot to remain as-is , but that would divide the resources on the backend for them,and unlike the NQ/QW fiasco they would have to shoulder the costs of effectively hosting a dust-gathering version of QLive and a perpetual never ending to updates Steam flavor of Qlive.
                            I didn't mean have 2 separate versions of Quake Live, I meant there should be specific servers which maintain the current gameplay mechanics or have an option to change the gameplay style. Maybe even have more specific options like voting to disable loadouts, but keep "running faster with gauntlet" enabled, etc. Kind of like what UT did with mutators.

I don't get why most Quake (at least QL fans) are so opposed to the stuff I mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                            X