• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quake2xp 1.26.4 release

New features
    • screen space local reflections for water & slime
    • screen space ambient occlusion
    • motion blur
    • radiosity normal mapping with high resolution lightmaps (vanilla Q2 & Reckoning)
    • fake sub-surface scattering for monster skin
    • complete vanilla Q2 relight
    • static VBO-IBO optimizations
    • improved light editor

Linux path not tested (sorry)

Other notes:
    • Use clean install, don't use old Q2XP paks or game config!!!
    • Win8 users with Creative Audigy or X-Fi cards should use software OpenAL audio device (select in options menu)
    • New build is very hard for video cards. Use geforce 660Ti or higher class cards with 2GB VRam (for 1080p with max engine settings).
    • Engine can work in simple mode (radiosity normal mapping + dynamic & styled lights only). For this mode set lightmap & specular multipliers to 1.0 (r_lightmapScale & r_ambientSpecularScale cvars correspondingly). For PPL mode, set to 0.5 & 0.3.
    • The Reckoning has new lightmaps only, no retexture or relight.
    • SSAO crush after video restart. Restart engine for fix

Download here

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTbXzVfUqcE[/ame]

This looks pretty good but, the enemies seem to be no challenge what-so-ever. Most of them seem too preoccupied with random stuff to even bother fighting back. The eye-candy is pretty good though, IMO.

Comment

This original game logic, I have not changed anything in it

Comment

Originally posted by barnes View Post
        This original game logic, I have not changed anything in it
        I am aware of this. Maybe I should have been clearer. Your additions look great, too bad they are for a game with terrible enemy logic.

Comment

I've always thought the biggest problem with Q1/Q2 monsters/enemies, was that they would only move or shoot, never both. Memory is really foggy about Q2 though, as I really never got into that game. Q1 was still extremely popular @ Q2 release.

I think that came to an end with Q3 and the enemies was able to move and shoot simultaneously. I wonder if a modification that allowed the enemies in Q2 & Q1 would benefit from the capacity to move and shoot at the same time.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Looks good, I've put it in download
            Make Quake Great Again

Comment

I'm not the nerd I could be, but last attempt I made a few months ago to compile on Linux was crap. Had to keeping changing things in the code to make it compile a little further each time before the next needed fix. I gave up on it.

The windows compile ran OK I thought.

Comment

I have't linux on my computer now, you can put compilation log?

Comment

Linux

I have tried to compile many snapshots on linux. The last compilable one was r593.
                  After r593 I wasn't able to compile anything.
                  However, the compilation wasn't perfect, I couldn't see any water neither the glasses.

These are the error messages I get when I run the program:
                  Code:
                  Load thermal vision program program 'thermal': error(s) in fragment shader:
                  -----------
                  Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors:
                  ERROR: 1:1: error(#105) #version must occur before any other program statement
                  ERROR: error(#273) 1 compilation errors.  No code generated

-----------
                  Failed!
                  Load water program program 'water': error(s) in vertex shader:
                  -----------
                  Vertex shader failed to compile with the following errors:
                  ERROR: 1:1: error(#105) #version must occur before any other program statement
                  ERROR: error(#273) 1 compilation errors.  No code generated

-----------
                  Failed!
                  I hope I can help.

Comment

I'm sorry, man, but I'm not a mind reader.
                    I do not know what your video card
                    try add
                    #version 120
                    in problem vertex shaders

Comment

I don't know if you got my e-mail message, well, I can help you regarding Linux compiling, testing and creating a .DEB package for Ubuntu/Debian. I like a lot what you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                        I wonder if a modification that allowed the enemies in Q2 & Q1 would benefit from the capacity to move and shoot at the same time.
                        I don't think so to be honest. It happens in Nehahra and according to the comments nobody likes it.

I think it would be much better to make bot like AI instead so the player have harder time simply running through.
                        Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

Originally posted by ezzetabi View Post
                          I don't think so to be honest. It happens in Nehahra and according to the comments nobody likes it.

I think it would be much better to make bot like AI instead so the player have harder time simply running through.
                          Me too!

It is of my opinion an ai that can only run or shoot, and never both, is just coddling the player. Given the option of difficulty levels it would be better suited to apply moving & shooting at the same time as a hard difficulty or nightmare, easy or very easy should be the move or shoot, never both, variety.
                          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                            Me too!

It is of my opinion an ai that can only run or shoot, and never both, is just coddling the player. Given the option of difficulty levels it would be better suited to apply moving & shooting at the same time as a hard difficulty or nightmare, easy or very easy should be the move or shoot, never both, variety.
                            It that really so difficult? There are already bots that understand everything, including map shape, teleporters, and switches, how hard can it be take a subset and apply it to monsters?
                            Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

Originally posted by ezzetabi View Post
                              It that really so difficult? There are already bots that understand everything, including map shape, teleporters, and switches, how hard can it be take a subset and apply it to monsters?
                              Are you inclining that I was originally doing anything except commenting on what I observed? You must be confusing me with some kind of coder or programmer.... so yes, it would be difficult, for me,but that wouldn't be the hardest part. The hardest part would be me finding ANY ai difficult to defeat.

I think you honestly believed I was REQUESTING a feature, which I am not. I don't touch singleplayer anything with any length of pole.

Sincerely,
                              that guy

Comment

Working...
                              X