Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hexen 2 / Hexen II - BSP editor crashes on "Make entity"

Hello,

I'm a long-time mapper for older games, just not this one. I always liked Hexen 2 and long ago I'd bought a boxed H2 editor called HexMaker and attempted to use it. I've used many editors since then for other games, and to this day, HexMaker was the absolute worst, but only until recently, I'd assumed that HexMaker was used to make H2, but I was sorely mistaken.

After searching, I came across Quark and BSP, and I have to say I do like the BSP editor, it's really easy to use so far. However, I've set up my game.cfg to what I believe is right, but it crashes whenever I use "Make entity". I'm sure it's just something that I've not set up right. Would anyone be able to help?

Here is my BSP\hexen2\game.cfg

Code:
    game			1
    no_models		0
    model_file		"hexmdl.ini"
    default_wad		"virtus.wad"
    wad_directory		"hexen2"
    newmap			"default.map"
    map_directory		"hexen2\maps"
    entity_qc_directory	"entity\"
    bat_directory		"hexen2\bats"
    bspbuild_directory	"hexen2\maps"
    sort_entities		0
    entities		"hexen2ents.qc"
    palette_file		"quake.pal"
    gamma			0.80
    texture_path		"hexen2\maps"
    q2_pak_file		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Hexen 2\data1\pak0.pak"
    world_minmax		4096
    If anyone is wondering what "virtus.wad" is, that's actually the texture wad that came packaged with HexMaker. I'm using that as I don't know where I'm meant to find hex2full.wad - it's not in my H2 directory.

I DO have hexen2ents.qc in the BSP\Entity folder.

As an aside, any tutorials on setting up quest objects, readable signs, and messages that appear (i.e. "This fireplace is unusual") would also be greatly appreciated. I understand most of the basics about building/texturing/entities (provided it doesn't crash)

Thank you

Figured it out. In case anyone else comes across this problem, it's that the default entries related to entities in the BSP/Hexen2/game.cfg aren't initially set up right for H2. Furthermore, manually editing the entity path in notepad (and adjusting the locations of the actual folders/files themselves) didn't work for me. Adjust the locations of things yourself, and then: File -> Preferences -> Game/Directories in BSP editor, and you'll see the entries related to entities are blank. Adjust those based on your filepaths.

(After that, I also had to edit the paths in another ini file, hexmdl.ini, but the error message explains this. Just copy pak0 and pak1 from your real H2 directory to somewhere simple (like C:/BSP/Hexen2 or whatever) and update the paths in that file. Use Find & Replace.)

If anyone wants to give advice on the few additional things I'd mentioned before (quest items, readable signs, and hint messages that pop-up) -- and I'm also having trouble getting ambient sounds to play (beyond the ones that are automatic, like torch sfx and wind from the sky texture) -- it'd be appreciated, thank you
    Last edited by Nemesis; 01-24-2016, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X