STRAFE: the revival of the old FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STRAFE: the revival of the old FPS

I wasn't sure if any of you knew about this or not, So I figured I'd post it. A new FPS has emerged. One with pixelated graphics and blocky gibs, the likes of which has not been seen since 1996.

Here's the website, and yes, it looks terrible on purpose.

So apparently this has been developed since about late 2013, and is a huge deal for it's "revolutionary graphics" that supposedly melt the face of any human being not prepared to play. I've played their open beta for it, and it looks fun as all hell. Their new Uber-gore tech is basically a function that defines where the blood of enemies will splatter, so if they're putting enough effort in to the point that they're defining where the blood's gonna land, then you know they're doing their best to recreate a Quake type experience. On top of that, the levels are procedurally generated, so no two playthroughs can possibly be the same.

I've played the broken beta version they put online and now I look like Two-Face from Batman.

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Irony is that the Unity engine is slow and inefficient.

I bet it gets under 60 fps on most non-bleeding edge video cards ...

And around 20 fps on average video cards.

It's been true of ever Unity engine game I have ever seen including the ones with bad graphics.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
      Irony is that the Unity engine is slow and inefficient.
      True, but it seemed to run fine on my PC. That being said, no two PCs are the same, so that could cause problems.

Comment

Yes we know this. Well at least i do.

Its a crazy ass game that literally is all about run and gun, amplifying that Doom and Quake feeling.
        Not all Unity games are slow/unefficient. Thats biased. With some proper testing and bug fixing, it can excel into the big leagues.

Totally off topic, but look at what this guy made using an outdated engine,
        Blitz3D, and how sweet the outcome was.
        SCP - Containment Breach

The "commercial" of Strafe is crazier.
        [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VHbpdKiInn8[/ame]
        Last edited by Voros; 04-25-2016, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Yea, I remember seeing this a while back. It's shaping up nicely and looks like it'll be a good time!

Comment

Unfortunately, this could have been done on the DarkPlaces engine and would have made a nice gift for Quake's 20th
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

DeathMaster you played it? i dont see a download link on the website.

Comment

Originally posted by Davers View Post
                DeathMaster you played it? i dont see a download link on the website.
                They had a broken build on the internet called "STRAFE: SPEED ZONE". It might not be on the website for the time being, so I'd suggest checking out their Facebook.

Comment

The Speed Zone is available on ModDB (note, you will spawn outside the map sometimes, so restart the level again, by pressing L, I think)

And there was an actual demo of Strafe, but I never got the chance to download it, so it maybe gone now.

For some reason this came into my mind : Strafe's gore or Brutal Doom'a gore?

Comment

-> Procedural generation for levels
                    -> No plans for moddability

Yeah, I doubt this is any "revival of the old FPS". The part that these cargo-cult "oldschool" shooters seem to fail on is doing good level design.

Comment

I think its more focused on balls to the wall action. No cover and badass guns with tough enemies.

Comment

Working...
                      X