q2 weapon skins. in hi res?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by osjclatchford View Post
    thanks muchly to you. how lovely everyone is here on quakeone!

as for the facebook idea, that would be outstanding of you! I am not on facebook and as such would not be able to share it there. also thanks for the quakexp version. will help less-technical potential users get more use from it. I imagine q2evolved is somewhat outdated nowadays?
    Yes, is outdated unfortunately. Most used source ports are KMQuake2, Quake2xp and berserker, since i have all of them installed, I try to make it compatible for every one of them.
    Make Quake Great Again

Comment

prox... for new grenadelauncher model

proxlauncher

intended for the rogue mission pack... couldn't get this to work on q2evolved. perhaps you'll have better luck with one of the other engines?
      Last edited by osjclatchford; 06-27-2016, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Nice work! Love the GL after you added some touches to it. Looked a little bright before

I got a hankering to play some q2 now lol
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Quake2xp? Hi quality skins? Looked this
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZvFcCZExf8

Comment

Are there any high res v weapons skins for q2. Not models just skins...?
            Hi, new guy here. Not new to Quake2 though. I've been pretty much the holy terror of the forums over at Tastyspleen.net for many years. Dunno if anyone's ever heard of it, but Tastyspleen's Q2 community is basically the #1 destination for playing Quake2 in North America.

Anyway, as far as simply finding a PAK file that will add hi-res skins for the stock weapon models... none really exist, at least as far as anyone in the Tastyspleen community knows of. A reasonably skilled person maybe could simply make larger hi-res textures for the stock weapon models, but I don't know how much success they'd have with it. I'm somewhat of a half-assed Q2 "modder" myself, and I've done lots of work with weapon and item skins. The problem would probably come in how some of the stock models are texture mapped. Many of them have skewed looking texture images because the mapping onto the models is skewed as well. At one point, I took a few of the stock powerup models and attempted to completely redo the skins from scratch to make them hi-res whilst retaining the look of the original. Here's some shots of a few things I did...

I play quite a bit of Q2 multiplayer, so the client I'm using in all these screens is R1Q2, which isn't as fancy with lighting and blood effects as EGL, but it runs nice and fast. Anyway, these are the only stock models I've attempted to competently reskin as hi-res. It was NOT easy. It involved completely remapping the entire models texture to a new layout and then saving it. So it's the exact same wireframe model, just with a completely different texture mapping.

HOWEVER...

There might be a few high res model PAK's floating around out there in internet land. Indeed, I've located one in particular, and I've used parts of it in my own personal player PAK's that I make and post up from time to time. But just so no one possibly makes the same mistake that I did... maybe check with someone before you decide to repost any hi-res weapon/item/ammo PAK you might've found. There's a set of models floating around out there which were unintentionally leaked into public circulation and are the property of Wirehead Studios who has been working on a project called Generations Arena. It's some project that's supposed to combine several of the original id games all into one game... or something. Anyway, the story is that some of the leaked content is what got them in trouble at one point for copyright issues because they took parts of it directly from other games rather than using new original content. A few of my personal player paks featured some of the original content portions of said leaked pak. Eventually the main guy at Wirehead stumbled upon my personal homepage where the items are posted, and he sent me a "Dude,... WTF!?!" email. We worked it out, he liked my work, he let me keep it up with a disclaimer and permission, the end.

Anyway, just be warned. If you happen upon a hi-res model pak for Q2 out there, do a little investigating before reposting it. Getting sued sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Focalor View Post
              ...Anyway, as far as simply finding a PAK file that will add hi-res skins for the stock weapon models... none really exist,...
              dude what? both seven and myself have already posted EXACTLY that in this thread already...

Comment

Dude, something came after that quote.

"...at least as far as anyone in the Tastyspleen community knows of."

Comment

Truth!

dude what? Both seven and myself have already posted exactly that in this thread already...

Comment

Sued for what? For posting Q2 high res models/skins?
                    Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Vengeance View Post
                      Sued for what? For posting Q2 high res models/skins?
                      No, for reposting a particular Q2 pak file which contains id and Wirehead Studios copyrighted material. The pak in question was unfinished and never intended to be released yet. It contained newly designed hi-poly weapon/ammo/item/etc models with hi-res textures, which are copyrighted property of Wirehead Studios. It also contained a few images and sounds which were ripped directly from the original game files of games such as Doom, Wolfenstein, Q1, and Q2, and those files are the copyrighted property of id Software. Somehow this pak file containing all of this was leaked out before the project was ready for public release. People at id found out that it contained their copyrighted property and they threatened to sue Wirehead Studios over it.

But again, this pak in question also contains copyrighted work of Wirehead Studios. So if one were to somehow obtain all or part of this pak (because it's still floating around out there) and repost it anywhere and someone from id or Wirehead were to discover it (which happened to me), they could potentially find themselves in legal trouble over it.

Comment

No, for reposting a particular Q2 pak file which contains id and Wirehead Studios copyrighted material. The pak in question was unfinished and never intended to be released yet. It contained newly designed hi-poly weapon/ammo/item/etc models with hi-res textures, which are copyrighted property of Wirehead Studios. It also contained a few images and sounds which were ripped directly from the original game files of games such as Doom, Wolfenstein, Q1, and Q2, and those files are the copyrighted property of id Software. Somehow this pak file containing all of this was leaked out before the project was ready for public release. People at id found out that it contained their copyrighted property and they threatened to sue Wirehead Studios over it.

But again, this pak in question also contains copyrighted work of Wirehead Studios. So if one were to somehow obtain all or part of this pak (because it's still floating around out there) and repost it anywhere and someone from id or Wirehead were to discover it (which happened to me), they could potentially find themselves in legal trouble over it.
                        Understood, but ID/Wirehead studios will release them in a "official way"?
                        Make Quake Great Again

Comment

yawn to all of this.

I'm done here so feel free to take it or leave it regarding my stuff...

Comment

yawn
                            Yeah, whatever.

Originally posted by Blood Vengeance View Post
                            Understood, but ID/Wirehead studios will release them in a "official way"?
                            Well I was going to say that the project had been in development for 8 years or more. But I just checked their webpage, and it looks like it's been released I guess. Looks like it's actually made for Quake3 though, so if a person was looking to download it and use the items in Quake2, they'd either need a Q2 client that could use Q3 models (I think one or two may exist, possibly APRQ2), or you'd have to convert them to MD2 for use in Q2, which is not always quick and simple to do. And obviously, if anyone reading this DOES decide to get their stuff and convert it for use in Q2 or any other game, obviously you should only do it for your own personal use, don't post it online unless you get permission from someone.

http://www.wireheadstudios.org/generations/
                            Last edited by Focalor; 07-28-2016, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Hi, new guy here. Not new to Quake2 though. I've been pretty much the holy terror of the forums over at Tastyspleen.net for many years. Dunno if anyone's ever heard of it, but Tastyspleen's Q2 community is basically the #1 destination for playing Quake2 in North America.

Anyway, as far as simply finding a PAK file that will add hi-res skins for the stock weapon models... none really exist, at least as far as anyone in the Tastyspleen community knows of. A reasonably skilled person maybe could simply make larger hi-res textures for the stock weapon models, but I don't know how much success they'd have with it. I'm somewhat of a half-assed Q2 "modder" myself, and I've done lots of work with weapon and item skins. The problem would probably come in how some of the stock models are texture mapped. Many of them have skewed looking texture images because the mapping onto the models is skewed as well. At one point, I took a few of the stock powerup models and attempted to completely redo the skins from scratch to make them hi-res whilst retaining the look of the original. Here's some shots of a few things I did...

I play quite a bit of Q2 multiplayer, so the client I'm using in all these screens is R1Q2, which isn't as fancy with lighting and blood effects as EGL, but it runs nice and fast. Anyway, these are the only stock models I've attempted to competently reskin as hi-res. It was NOT easy. It involved completely remapping the entire models texture to a new layout and then saving it. So it's the exact same wireframe model, just with a completely different texture mapping.

HOWEVER...

There might be a few high res model PAK's floating around out there in internet land. Indeed, I've located one in particular, and I've used parts of it in my own personal player PAK's that I make and post up from time to time. But just so no one possibly makes the same mistake that I did... maybe check with someone before you decide to repost any hi-res weapon/item/ammo PAK you might've found. There's a set of models floating around out there which were unintentionally leaked into public circulation and are the property of Wirehead Studios who has been working on a project called Generations Arena. It's some project that's supposed to combine several of the original id games all into one game... or something. Anyway, the story is that some of the leaked content is what got them in trouble at one point for copyright issues because they took parts of it directly from other games rather than using new original content. A few of my personal player paks featured some of the original content portions of said leaked pak. Eventually the main guy at Wirehead stumbled upon my personal homepage where the items are posted, and he sent me a "Dude,... WTF!?!" email. We worked it out, he liked my work, he let me keep it up with a disclaimer and permission, the end.

Anyway, just be warned. If you happen upon a hi-res model pak for Q2 out there, do a little investigating before reposting it. Getting sued sucks.
                              Hi i'm adapted your re-skining for my engine (q2xp) I can use your work in my engine?
                              Tnx

Comment

Some years ago we contacted with Tabun from WS and he said - you can use items, but don't weapons (static or animated) models.

Comment

Working...
                                X