No announcement yet.

Quake Champion Gameplay Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quake 1 was free to play and it spawned one of the most hardcore online gaming environments to date. I'm not a fan of continually paying for a game. If I spend $60 in the store for a disk in a fancy box, I better get access to everything on that disk.

If it has to be pay to play, then the game should be free to download so you can practice or whatever. Then pay to get online. I doubt that is economically viable though in this day and age. Most of the revenue a game gets is probably from people who buy it, play it once or twice, and move on to the next blockbuster release.
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

How was Quake 1 free to play? You mean the demo?
      dfsp*spirit
      my FPS maps

Comment

Originally posted by dfsp_spirit View Post
        How was Quake 1 free to play? You mean the demo?
        nevermind, i didn't truly know what free-to-play was until 2 minutes ago. I had wrongly assumed that free-to-play meant there was no monthly subscription for online access. unlike that world of warcraft game.

my bad, i'll see myelf to the door
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Ugh.
          Free-to-play is bad because of the way your personal information is sold & collected to 'target advertize' to you without your consent.
          Yes, there are issues with 'pay-to-win' but not all 'free-to-play' games go that route.
          Yes, there are issues with 'pay walls' (where things you didn't have to pay for before, now you have to pay to keep having) and 'pay gates' (where the game is deliberately designed so that it's unfairly hard and/or nearly-impossibly-difficult to progress through withoug 'buying' something), in-app purchases (which may or may not have instant access to your 'virutal wallet' linked to your bank account & be hard to avoid clicking on by accident), and in-game ads (ranging from simple banner ads in '3D Bowling games' etc. for Android to the just awful middle-of-the-screen popups and video ads in Asphalt 8: Airborne that have only been getting worse with time)...
          Probably the worst of all is Combat Arms, where you have to pay real money to be able to access 'admin functions' and kick cheating/harrassing players-- otherwise general nuisances will go unmoderated, or worse, blatant cheaters will target your room speciifcally for being "without Elite Mod"-- whilst the actual 'moderation' system rarely if ever bans players, and the mandatory, not even built-in anticheat software that launches along with the game doesn't even properly do its job all the time, and often causes technical problems for the end user as well.
          But, no, I'm pretty sure that the primary reason against free-to-play games both as a buisness model and as a design model is the way that your 'user info' is collected and aggregated for marketing purposes.

You know they make the most money off the fewest players, right?
          And look how many 'free to play' games give you ingame rewards for 'liking them on facebook' or promoting them on social media in some other way... it's sickening.

I truly hope Quake: Champions is simply "pay once, play forever" and that's it.
          I want to "buy it on CD", too, I mean technically it'll be DVD or Blu-ray to hold the amount of data going into 'modern' games, but you know what I mean, having a 'box copy' isn't really the same as having gotten a 'digital download' is it?

Comment

I played some more Overwatch recently and I gotta say I really hope they do not add ultimate abilities to Quake Champions.

Yes, you gotta charge them and use them at the right time. But still it feels absolutely unfair to be killed by them or killing others with them. One character's ultimate in Overwatch actually is an aimbot (!) that makes you auto-headshot enemies for a few seconds. oO I don't want to see stuff like this in a game which has Quake in it's title...
            dfsp*spirit
            my FPS maps

Comment

is it really that much worse than quad/pent/ring?
              Some Game Thing

Comment

Not that much, no. Putting pent in a MP map (does it even work?) would be a terrible idea in Quake as well. Few maps that I have played used the ring. Some Quake MP maps have a Quad, yes. Can be fun in certain game types (though I'm not a big fan of it personally).

But there's a principal difference between picking up the Quad and ultimate abilities imo. People fight for pickups. It's predictable when they spawn. And it happens only a few times per game. Abilities and ultimates in Overwatch get fired all the time. To me, they make the game feel chaotic and random. Random to me means boring. But it's a matter of taste, of course.

On a side note: I don't think Overwatch should have Quad instead or be like Quake. I don't consider Quake the perfect game. I appreciate game developers trying new stuff. I enjoy class-based team MP games with objectives: I liked ET:QW and TF2 a lot, for example. But ability-based hero shooters are not my kind of game it seems. I hope they come up with something new (compared to Overwatch) that makes the game fun for me.
                Last edited by dfsp_spirit; 09-07-2016, 07:04 AM.
                dfsp*spirit
                my FPS maps

Comment

Looks decent. Definitely better than what I was expecting.

Comment

Working...
                  X