Quake Champions opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake Champions opinions?

I have waited and waited to buy QC, I have waited so long that the reviews I have read are mostly negative. There are quite a bit of positive reviews but it does not seem like they are from hardcore gamers who have experience with the quake series period. The reviews I have read say the game play is just horrible, graphics are not so good, the key bindings are not good, just overall bad.

Has anyone here played QC and if so what are your opinions and would you recommend buying it?

I'm also interested to hear if it's any good. I can say that the psuedo "class-based" character selection looks stupid. It's almost impossible to implement that kind of a system and maintain a level playing field across all maps. I'm with wicked, I'm not interseted in reviews from people who regulalry praise call of duty. I wanna hear it from a real Quaker.
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Hell, i would Like to know that too. As for graphics, they are not really important.
      I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
      My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

Comment

Originally posted by TheKillingJoke View Post
        Hell, i would Like to know that too. As for graphics, they are not really important.
        I agree. If it looked like 1996 all over again I'd be happy, as long as the online is just as good with more than 10 people playing lol

Comment

I made the mistake of buying it some time ago and now I'm the proud owner of a $30 Chest Box Opener Simulator 2017.

In short:
          • Graphics OK but nothing out of this world, I like the scenery of the maps and that's about it.
          • Gameplay is fun only the first match, then it's just eugh...
          • Generic lame-ish voiceover with supposed-to-be 'cool badass' sentences when you choose a character.
          • Matchmaking is pretty pretty bad (10 out of 10 matches always total rookies vs super experienced people complaining that they always get matched with rookies).
          • It seems that consumed ammo depends on framerate (meaning people with higher-spec PCs will always be more likely to kill opponents with clunkier PCs).
          • The main menu looks like a honeypot website filled with clickbaits and premium and loot boxes and amazing dollar sign chest open did I say premium buy more now moneys!

I'd rather staple my hand to a desk than play that game again. In fact, it was after playing it that I decided to go back to good ol' Quake1.

Comment

Uh... That Sounds Like somehow Kind of Candy Crush MMO-Deathmatch O_o
            I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
            My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

Comment

Do not buy the game just yet because they will have a free to play version of it soon that you can try and then judge for yourself.

Bottom line, I think it's an okay/good game but it's not a great game. If you're expecting Quake 1 style deathmatch, this isn't it. This is more like Quake 3, but they've modernized it and in my opinion, some of the changes are fun and other changes are sort of "What is this?" This is also coming from a guy who played hundreds of hours of online Quake 1, 2 and 3 in the 90's.

After my last video about the Quake Champions in June, I uninstalled it and haven't really missed it. I enjoy Overwatch and as much as I've been razzed for that here and other places, that game is fun and keeps me glued to it. With Quake Champions, I had fun with the 15-20 hours I played of it but I don't have a huge desire to keep going.

That said, I do plan to cover it when the free to play version comes out to show people what they're getting and to give a final verdict on whether I'll keep on with it or not. If nothing has really changed or if they haven't added any new fun modes, I will probably be out of it until they do.

I have a few Quake Grave episodes where I've played it because I wanted to give the game a fair shake. I recommend this video for pros and cons but keep in mind this was from May 11th of this year and not the most recent build. I have no idea what has changed since June or so:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ope4udROZKs

You can watch more of the other Quake Champions videos here:
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...SvryodkNJG6mXd

Comment

That's about what I expected.

The quake formula is so easy. Good maps, a rocket launcher, throw in some gore, and choose your colors. How can anyone screw that up?

My rig won't run new games anyways, but if champions turned out to be an excellent online game like the previous ones, I was set to upgrade. Glad I didn't.

Comment

Tried it but I wont play it again even tho its a fun game and it felt like the dev team put in alot of effort. Had no problem with the graphics, did miss 320x240 d_mipcap 3 but except for that its maybe only a matter of taste.

Things that annoyed me was, no strafe jumping, low runspeed, didnt even understand how to bunny decent and rocketjumping was a joke. The maps didnt inspire me at all except for maybe the q3dm6 remix(they called it something else). HUD/UI was no big hit either for various reasons so id rather play Q1 if there was anyone to play.

Comment

Thank's for the replies, I do not think I will be buying QC period. Any other good games out there that ya'll play? I currently only play BF4, TF2 and that's really it.

Comment

I threw a bitchfit about Quake Champions in an old thread the day it was announced. Not only did everything I say come true, it was somehow even worse than I expected it to be. I never would have even bothered if it wasn't free so this is my official verdict.
                      Originally posted by wicked_lord View Post
                      Thank's for the replies, I do not think I will be buying QC period. Any other good games out there that ya'll play? I currently only play BF4, TF2 and that's really it.
                      Mostly an endless spiral of TF2 and QuakeWorld. I couldn't be bothered to touch most games these days. Insurgency Sandstorm looks fun but apparently it ran like trash in the beta, so I'll stick with the first game for now.
                      Quake is for nerds.

Comment

I played QC for the first time a few weeks ago, needless to say, its ok but not my cup of tea. Leveled up quickly in the first day, won several matches for not knowing anything about QC.

Comment

Working...
                        X