This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inkub0: hi one more time

Just now i download your texture pack and FTE Engine and after some compares both combinations of textures/engines discover few obviously facts:

1) As you told, we already use different methods, and many texture sets incompatible one with other. Different styles - my "dirty" and your "clean", most textures cannot be replaced from other set.

2) But at least 30% we can recombine and gain GOOD result.
    For example - your texture set can provide excellent graphic quality in "photo source search" method - when you really use same original object, like Pharaon's tomb or ornaments, many doors seems very very cool, ect.
    From other side, with your natural grass texture on big plane exist some problem, when pattern seen and repeated. I try different grass texture and found pattern less visible on big planes (compare rtex080 for example).
    Or compare rtex425, or see gold from rtex386 (but there i put not Egypt, American coin from 19 century)
    And there many other cases when replacing texture can have place.
    So i suggest make collaborative retexture pack from both sets.
    Or we can do 2 repacks with combine something about 30% one from other.

3) In your texture structure exist texture overlay (bug with same textures in different levels), for example texture on wall from levels "demo" in level egypt1
    We need one structure without overlay (my structure work without overlay, you may see that structure and copy any files from there as you wish)

4) All packs we better be create from tga files (them low or no compressed, but quality lossless)

At final, about engines. There same troubles - different ways.
    jsHexen2 can provide less graphic features than FTA (as i see, FTA include better lighting system, use bump mapping, bloom and other), but jsHexen2 allow clean original gameplay without bugs (except bugs original Hexen2, of course, if they there was).

So, there now few paths - remove bugs from FTA (i was played in FTA 4 levels H2 and meet some bugs with camera, moved objects and water), or upgrade graphics features of jsHexen2 - bloom can be fast added from UQE bloom.c or even from FTA, i think in FTA used better method with correct resamples.

Or combine Darkplaces with GllHexen, but when i try explore Darkplace source i found what my beer bottles was depleted

So, in any case - task equal, we need to make a hippopotamus with a rhinoceros to make love
    Small jsHexen2 and retex project http://hexen2retex.narod.ru/

Comment

• And one important thing - we must make choice for target video memory - big textures easy can impossible smooth game with older videocards.

My target was 64-128Mb onboard, without models and non-standart textures for old systems old 64Mb card GF3Ti500 can easy work with game.

But your pack need much more memory, as i see, and when you retexture and models and ect. there may be a lot of memory, above 256 or 512Mb

Comment

• I' reorganizing the texture set without overlays... unfortunately your folder tree cant work with FTE, cause of the "textures" subflders in every level subfolder...

You right, Darkplaces has absolutely the best graphic impact, but no compatibility with Hexen2 at all... and is developed since 2004! Too much code to decipher

I added 10-15 textures of yours in my pack... can i put it in my future 0.75 release?

(I'm going to dinner now)
        Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

"Not dead is what forever can wait" (HPL)

Comment

• Originally posted by inkub0 View Post
          @ Jeank
          About Textures...
          I need all the mtex series !!! are you developing something of that stuff?
          There very little set, because them hard to remake, and i sipmle add noise in most causes.

Originally posted by inkub0 View Post
          I saw your jsHexen. It's great! in some ways better than FTE, but it cant load external JPG! i'm developing the textures in jpg for now, for space and download time reasons. I'll switch all in TGA when its's done.
          Thanks!
          Before i see and read your message i wrote - using TGA is really better.

Does your engine use the normalmaps? Did i saw real time lightning?
          No for now. If peoples from FTA can give some help or share source code, i think we can put this in jsHexen. For example UQE Bloom can be there without troubles, but UQE bloom with bug, and i was lazy for remove it

Can i create a pack with the models folder and put it on my site? I'll mention you and your work! Monsters are nice!
          Use all what you want from this pack!!!

P.S. I also used in Hexen2retex caustic underwater textures from quake pack, because i don't have any serious animation skill, i hope author forgive me
          But with jurajstyk (author of old build of jsHexen2) i was trying to connect many times, but letters stay without any answer...

Comment

I' reorganizing the texture set without overlays... unfortunately your folder tree cant work with FTE, cause of the "textures" subflders in every level subfolder...
            I think, i can fix it

I added 10-15 textures of yours in my pack... can i put it in my future 0.75 release?

(I'm going to dinner now)
            Of course yes.
            And i make dirty and put in future some 15-20 textures from your pack, ok?

Comment

• Ok of course
              Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

Comment

• Hello Jeank and inkub0,

I just sent a PM to you guys. I had a idea which I want to tell you.
                Please check your inbox.

Thank you very much.

Seven

Comment

• FTE should already attempt to load textures from textures/ too.
                  Water textures need the * replaced with a #, thanks to * being a wildcard.

so textures/demo1/foo.tga textures/foo_luma.png textures/foo_bump.tga foo_norm.tga foo_spec.jpg are all examples of images that FTE can load (note: not all the same sort of texture, but all combine to be the same material - you'd normally put them all in the same path!).

FTE does still have numerous bugs for Hexen2. Sorry about that. Its getting a bit more playable at least.

Regarding rtlights files. They're not strictly needed (just set r_shadow_realtime_world), but you'd be insane to just set that cvar - hexen2 maps have a lot more lights than quake did. An rtlights file for each map would allow placing lights more cautiously, thus more playable framerates. I started making an in-engine editor for it.

Regarding static lightmap quality... There is one lightmap sample for every 16 world texels. Scale the texture, scale the lightmap quality. It might be possible to relight the maps with a higher lighting quality, though really all that does is smudge it. I'm not sure which Quake tools would be able to work on hexen2 bsps though, as I suspect they might corrupt the bsp file, should be trivial to modify them to support it. Alternatively full realtime lighting is to the pixel.
                  Some Game Thing

Comment

• I would advise to stay realistic and finish the basic texture pack (ie diffusemaps) before anything else. I wouldn't like to see this texture pack go south because it tried to do too much.

I also think that replacement textures should *not* become dependent on one engine.
                    Scout's Journey
                    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

• Originally posted by Spike View Post
                      I'm not sure which Quake tools would be able to work on hexen2 bsps though, as I suspect they might corrupt the bsp file, should be trivial to modify them to support it.
                      I think QuaRk fully supports Hexen2 Game... but i-m not sure.
                      I want to study to become a mapper
                      Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

Comment

• I think QuaRk fully supports Hexen2 Game... but i-m not sure.
                        I want to study to become a mapper [/QUOTE]
                        I use Quark for mapping in Hexen 2 and havenīt any problem yet. But as it is generic editor, it took me some time to figure out what I can and what I canīt do.

Comment

• @ mathuzz
                          Can you develop rtlights for us? PLEEEEEEASEEE
                          Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

Comment

• UQE support ogg soundtrack, but FTE not worked midi music either ogg.

sorry my bad english!

Comment

• I think Spike can fix your problem. He is a developer of FTE team... lets wait
                              OGG soundtracks are surely better than midi... you lucky boy

offtopic
                              Where are you from?
                              /offtopic
                              Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

Comment

@ mathuzz
                                Can you develop rtlights for us? PLEEEEEEASEEE
                                I would like to help, but Iīm afraid I donīt possess the knowledge of developing rtlights.

Comment

Working...
                                X