X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WhiteMagicRaven
    replied
    textures from all raven soft earlier games, spend a lot of time to optimize and fix it

Leave a comment:

• Bloodshot
    replied
    I've been quite sick the past few days but I recorded the new crusader glyphs

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZwcu2rKbI[/ame]

Leave a comment:

• Kalango
    replied
    Looks great man!

Leave a comment:

• Bloodshot
    replied
    [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=5TgjjsFDL6M[/ame]

Testing invisible water + waterwarp for a swampy sludge effect

Also tweaked the crusader, his hammer throw no longer uses mana, the ice wall does more damage and his glyphs are like the cleric, they produce an ice cloud that does damage over time and freezes enemies. Will upload a video when i can, probably patch the demo with the crusader changes

Leave a comment:

• Bloodshot
    replied
    The afrit was actually a solution to a problem i had with the imps, too many in horde combat would cause them to divebomb in your path and stop you from moving. I agree he's a bit redundant but when i was using too many imps it just completely ruined the flow.

Invisible enemies are from GoT, i think they are supposed to be special "ethereal" types but I could axe them.

Crusader was actually the least tested, i noticed on my final testing runs that he has the most trouble of all the classes, (I was thinking of making his glyphs more powerful to compensate but I kinda got too busy, i'll be revisiting him in subsequent releases)

You really didn't like the halos? I showed quite a few people and they all seemed to think they were cool so i kept them.

As for the bishop, that's hexen 2/hammer of thyrion. I wanted a "companion" to the disciple like the skull wizard or knight archer has, but Hexen 2's palette has little to no vibrant greens.

His robes are green and blue, but it is extremely muted so unless he's in clear light it's very subtle. Once HoT gets true color texture support I'd like to make more vibrant skins.

Demoness is expansion pack, this is a vanilla mod so I'm not sure how to get her in

Thanks for the feedback, I'll certainly note this stuff for the full version, I kinda want to expand the levels too later on. I also made some last minute revisions to the library so I'll have to take a look at it again

My intent is for an open platform for hexen 2 creation, so any contributions are welcome
    Last edited by Bloodshot; 05-06-2017, 07:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ETTiNGRiNDER
    replied
    Just finished the demo. Great stuff, I hope to see a full version some time. The settings are really nice and I like the just-a-subtle bit use of the colored lighting, as well as the little flavor texts in the books scattered around; that's how I like exposition in a game like this to be done. Read 'em if you want, otherwise they're mostly ignorable.

I started out with the crusader, but switched over to the necromancer who I felt was a bit more successful (even though crusader and demoness are my main jams for class choice in this game usually). I also dropped the skill level down to 1 given how brutal the start is, and it seemed pretty hard even at that level although I see that some skill level changes do take place.

Regarding the new monsters:
    Axeman - Love it, I always thought a swordsman to go with the archers was the obvious addition to the bestiary, this fits the role just as well and the model and skin look good.
    Wendigo - Also great. Nice model. Ice balls do look a little naff though.
    Disciple - Good for filling a unique role, though the model's only so-so I think.
    Bishop - Looks too much like the Disciple, you can hardly tell them apart when they're not attacking. Also the green attack halo looks awful. It also seems a bit buggy as per below. Those issues aside, a reasonable addition too. I'd recommend making the skin look more like the original with the blue/green robes, or at least making it look more different from the Disciple so you can tell them apart at a glance.
    Afrit - Meh. Like the bishop, the halo effect looks awful; I'm convinced that the original's fire halo can only work when it's a sprite. Also seems to have less reason for existing than any of the other new monsters, as there's too much overlap with the fire imp; difference is only that it fires three times in a row and doesn't do the charge attack?
    - While not a new monster per se, I think Shadow Wizards were evil enough without letting them summon force cubes too.

Bugs(?):
    - Sometimes monsters are transluscent for no apparent reason. I assume it's a bug since it's different monsters that get this on different playthroughs.
    - Bishops seem to be able to phase into/through solid walls.
    - The predictable shenanigans with blood splatter and moving geometry (for instance a gore pool on the bridge in the second level becoming a floating gore pool after the bridge collapses).
    - Crusader's hammer altfire costs mana, but Necromancer's sickle altfire doesn't. Not sure if a bug or just unfair.

Other issues:
    - A bunch of texture misalignment in the library in the first level.
    - In the same library, trying to jump from the ladders to the goodies on top of the shelves is also immensely frustrating. I managed it a couple of times but mostly either fall off the ladder without jumping or hit the edge of the upper floor and fall down.
    - Difficulty's kind of uneven. In the first level starts off kind of brutal with having to make every nugget of mana count and saving it up for the nastier enemies, then by the beginning of the third level things become kind of easy, then the end of the third level turns very hard again.
    - Monsters seem to drop special items at random (pretty sure in the original campaign it was set by the map author, and the drops were mana only in the expansion pack. I could be mistaken though). For a more leisurely difficulty this wouldn't be as much of a problem, but where resources are tight getting a good random drop seems like it can make or break a situation.
    - Demoness is not selectable. Not sure if this is on purpose or not.

If you'd like, I could help with texture contributions and edits, too. I have a texture pack around for the original Hexen that has some variations of the bookshelves and stuff for instance.

Keep at it!

Leave a comment:

• Bloodshot
    replied
    I mean making, as in creating/coding new enemies, not their AI. Like the stalkers from hexen 1 I want to recreate

The slime is invisible from the top and the water warp makes the ground texture warp around like a liquid, i'll make a video of it when i get a chance

Leave a comment:

• Mathuzzz
    replied
    I thought the only way to avoid the fullbright water is to make the texture lowlight(transparent).

Also, what do you mean by making enemies to go along with it. Are they being stuck? As that is the basic Hexen 2 AI problem.

I thought about making the slime/swamp something different. Like you have water, which you can swim through, then you have lava, which hurts you. Slime could have some other effect. Like in Heretic 2, it could make you slower or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• Bloodshot
    replied
    Shadows of Chaos - Modding suite file - Mod DB

I have uploaded the tools I used to create this mod. The source code was also included in the demo release.

It includes QME, the blender plugin, texture wads converted to hexen 2's palette, the sprite editor, and a few map sources from the mod and the FGD for trenchbroom as well.

I'd like this to be a sort of hexen 2 mapper's resource too so feature suggestions are welcome (if they are in my ability to create)

EDIT:

Here's an example of some of the swampy stuff, eventually I'd like to make enemies to go along with it, I even found a trick to make the muck swirl without having to be fullbright water

Last edited by Bloodshot; 05-05-2017, 11:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bloodshot
    replied
    Since my mod deals with multiple dimensions and crossing old things with new, the more textures the merrier

Leave a comment:

• WhiteMagicRaven
    replied
    Thank you for demo, i am very glad, very very good work =0.
    Can you use some resources from other Raven Soft games?
    RaVeN-05(WhiteMagicRaven)
    they very fit to hexen theme
    MageSlayer textures ->
    ShadowCaster ->
    Even from CyClones some textures can be used ->
    Maybe even from Soldier of fortune =)
    Old Raven Software fantasy games is very good resources, i can prepare them for hexen2 format.

Leave a comment:

• Bloodshot
    replied
    Thanks for the kind words. The enemy stats don't scale but their counts do. So hard has a ton more enemies, especially in level 2 and 3.

It's especially good for the paladin since his weapons excel at crowd control. I kind of half designed hard's enemy counts for coop, but it's perfectly doable in SP too.

And I'm glad the corpse changes worked out, I was getting stuck so much it ruined the large battles, but that simple corpse tweak made the fights 100% better IMO. I was considering making them nonsolid like quake so enemies couldn't get caught on them but I enjoy gibbing corpses plus it's fun to see bodies pile up since the despawn for corpses is off now.

About the first level, I was afraid i didn't add enough light (it's actually blue sunlight mixed with minlight) because my monitor is weird and everything is bright, but all the screenshots I've seen on other computers looked too dark to me. I might tweak this later though.
    Last edited by Bloodshot; 05-02-2017, 05:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mathuzzz
    replied
    Congratulate for you release! So far it rocks, so many new additions! Glad you got rid of annoying solid corpses getting into your way all the time and changed it with fun gib system.

-Do you scale enemies abilities based on difficulty? The melee fighter seems to be moving very quickly and I so far only tried the easiest difficulty.
    -Maybe I would add a bit more lightning contrast into the areas. The intro area with the storm would be even better looking if you would tone down the minlight a bit.

I will give you more in depth feedback once I finished it

Leave a comment:

• Bloodshot
    replied
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ytrqNhKHM[/ame]

Shadows of Chaos - 1.0 Demo file - Mod DB

Demo is released!

Leave a comment:

• Mathuzzz
    replied
    What I loved about these disciples in both Heretic and Hexen was how their robes were teared from the bottom. Like the Death rider from Hexen 2.

ijazz, I believe many people play/mod Hexen 2 specifically becasue of its settings

Leave a comment:

Working...
X