X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inkub0,

here is the solution for your problem:
    I describe it for the example rtex388.jpg (this is one of the grass textures).
    I use this as example, because you see it directly after starting a new game (demo1).

1.) Create a subfolder in "textures" folder called "demo1" (map name).
    Here you paste a texture (for example your beautiful bookshelf texture): rtex207.jpg
    2.) Now rename "rtex207" in "demo1" folder to "rtex388"

Now, when you start the game, you will see the bookshelf texture on the ground, wher the grass should be.

This means (exactly like metchsteekle described):
    You can use specific textures, by creating subfolders in the "textures" folder with the specific map name.
    The textures found in there have a HIGHER priority than textures directly in the "textures" folder !!
    So the engine uses the one in the "mapname" subfolder and NOT the one in the main "texture" folder.

This is exactly like DarkPlaces works also.

So back to your problem:
    If FTE ignores the "E" or "M" behind rtex384, then simply place the correct texture, that fit the level in the "levelname" subfolder and call it "rtex384.jpg".
    - For VILLAGE3: Create a subfolder called "village3" and place the grass texture inside and rename it to: "rtex384.jpg"
    - For EGYPT1: Create a subfolder called "egypt1" and place the rock texture inside and rename it to: "rtex384.jpg"

Thats it

Best wishes,
    Seven
    Last edited by Seven; 08-12-2010, 10:16 AM.

Comment

FTE has a command named mod_texturelist, you can use it to show a list of all the textures the engine knows about.
      Textures in the BSP have a length limit of 16 chars.
      Both of the maps you named have only an 'RTEX384' texture, with no postfix. I double checked the bsp file itself with a text editor, no postfix there either (though there is gibberish after a null, which will get ignored).
      Sorry, but the extra letter is not part of the bsp itself, hence why engines will not load it.
      In quake there are maps with different textures but identical names. FTE should support loading textures/village3/rtex384.tga as a replacement for the one in village3 and not others, which should work for hexen2 the same as it does with quake.
      Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by inkub0 View Post
        no, it doesnt works... not FTE, nor UQE

i'll use the subfolders to divide the work, but i wait engine support for this... *confused*

hey guys, d you think that we're influencing the developers of the engines with this thread?
        Not really but source code is there You dont need A degree skills to copy and paste just read code carefully (aka h2 support in dp shouldnt be too hard to achieve...)

Comment

Originally posted by d1554573r View Post
          Not really but source code is there You dont need A degree skills to copy and paste just read code carefully (aka h2 support in dp shouldnt be too hard to achieve...)
          Incorrect. They did a lot of silly hard coding in Hexen 2.
          sigpic

Comment

Hello Spike,

good to have you hear in the thread.
            You made a tremendous work the last days/weeks in correcting the issues in FTE for
            Hexen2 Single Player.

I can confirm, that the texture management works as described in post #76.
            So inkub0 can use this method.

Thank you for having a perfect Single Player experience with FTE,
            when the High Res Textures for Hexen 2 are done.

Best wishes,
            Seven

Comment

Hey Guys! Thank you so much everybody! All of you are wonderful people!

with FTE now everything goes well, but sometimes i need to restart the renderer to see some textures, like in egypt1...

I'm still working and nearly to another release

Last edited by inkub0; 08-13-2010, 03:07 PM.
              Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

"Not dead is what forever can wait" (HPL)

Comment

Wow, those Egypt textures look THE BOMB!!

I love them!!

gb
                Scout's Journey
                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

0.5 is here!!!

i'm a bit confused in managing the subfolders, but it seems all ok...
                  i changed something in the walls at demo1... i made them more "noisy"...
                  explore the game and see the marvelous new textures
                  Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

Comment

You can call me a liar, but I would swear, that the floor texture (first screen post #81) has already a bump/normal file.
                    Also parts of the horse looks like if it protrudes out of the wall.

Unbelievable work inkub0 !
                    I can only say it again and again.... with my mouth wide open

PS: Please rescale your screens or use imageshack previews

Comment

@ Spike

In the in-game Textures Option of FTE, there is a setting:
                      "Maximum Texture size" [default: 1024x1024]

inkub0 uses some textures, which exceeds this size.
                      How does FTE handles it ? Does FTE resize these big texures (to 1024x1024) ?
                      What is the performance impact when we change the setting to [2048x2048] for example ?
                      Would there be any different ?

Thank you for your short feedback.

Maybe this is causing the problem, described by inkub0 above (post # 81)

Seven

Comment

There are still problems with the subfolder thing.

For example, rtex362.jpg (egypt floor tex) is in the egypt1 subfolder, but it is also needed for egypt2 and so on.

I believe a texture in a subfolder will only be loaded for that specific map, not for other maps that need it. For example, /textures/egypt1/rtex362.jpg is found by egypt1, but not by egypt2.

What happens is that egypt2 doesn't find that texture, so the original .wal gets loaded. And when you reload egypt1 afterwards, it also uses the original .wal because that is still cached (I believe).

- Textures that are needed by several maps belong in /textures so all maps can access them.

- Conflicting textures with the same name belong in subfolders for every map they are used in.

You will need to put rtex362.jpg either in /textures, or in all the subfolders of maps that use it - /textures/egypt1, /textures/egypt2 and so forth.

-------------------

The new textures look great! Making some textures dirtier is really an improvement.
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

but it conflicts with another texture (square metal wall with a skull) i cant put in /textures, because i'll see it in demo1, demo2 ecc... the only solution is that
                          Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

Comment

Originally posted by inkub0 View Post
                            but it conflicts with another texture (square metal wall with a skull) i cant put in /textures, because i'll see it in demo1, demo2 ecc... the only solution is that
                            That's what I thought.

Then you must put it in egypt2 etc as well, for every map that needs it.

Same for other conflicting textures.

This will probably fix the issue where you have to restart the renderer as well. The levels are not finding their textures, and then the original one gets cached and overrides any replacements. Dunno if that's an engine bug - might have to ask Spike.

Blame Raven :-)
                            Scout's Journey
                            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I would suggest:
                              If one texturename has two different visuals, then you should put
                              the ONE which is used in most maps in the main "textures" directory.
                              Then all maps uses it.

Only the special map, which needs the other "look" of this texturename
                              must be placed in the subfolder of this special map.

When I look inside the V0.5 subfolders, I dont find textures from there also in the main "textures" folder.
                              Example: rtex361.jpg
                              This one is in 9 subfolders, but only "egypt1" is different looking.
                              So you should delete the texture rtex361.jpg from all other 8 subfolders
                              and put this regular one in the main textures map.
                              So ONLY "egypt1" uses the special one. (or maybe all "egyptx" maps if necessary)

If you do it like this, you must create much less subfolders.

But hey, thats just a small cosmetic point.
                              I dont want to criticize your work of course. Just a tip to save space and subfolders.

Anyway they work fine and look fantastic inkub0 !

Seven

Comment

[EDITED]
                                Bug killed
                                [/EDITED]
                                Last edited by Seven; 08-18-2010, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X