Heretic1 + Hexen1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update 2014-08-12

For Heretic, as far as I know there has not been made any new files since my last update, so I re-uploaded the Heretic compilation. If you are interested, find the download in 1st post.

For Hexen, there is a very active person, who does a lot of great things and work for it at the Doomsday Engine´s forum: veirdo
    He made/packed a complete new Hexen resource box file: jxccp 1.31
    The only other thing you may need/test, is his weapon remake project.
    With these 2 downloads you are perfectly done and up-to-date for Hexen 1.

Kind regards,
    Seven

Comment

• I never really got into Hexen. I loved Heretic and played it at least as often as Doom back in the day.

Comment

• i was playing Hexen + Deathkings last month following the Hellraid Hype, and its still awesome

during this time i tried to make a HeXen Fighter Weapons mod in skyrim but i hate the Creation Kit

Comment

• Yes, Heretic is much more like Doom or Quake, as Hexen has different characters with only a very few weapons each (which will become a little boring). But in summary there a lot more weapons in Hexen compared to Heretic (which was surely a pain for the developers), but you cannot use them all together in-game without cheating.

I still like them both simply because of their fantasy ambience and sounds.

Comment

• a good mod for those who wants to play hexen as a RPG its Wrath of cronos

Comment

• I apologize if this sounds off-topic... However, honestly, I do not know why Raven software and idsoftware used the title "Hexen". Raven software and idsoftware should have used the title "Heretic II". The storyline of Hexen was a direct follow-up of Heretic. I apologize if this sounds repetitive, but idsoftware and its buddies do a few things that are illogical. (Example: Quake 2's storyline was not related to Quake's storyline. So why did they choose the name Quake 2? Oh that's right, because the original Quake sold many copies.) PLEASE do not take this the wrong way... I can say MANY GREAT THINGS about idsoftware and Raven software. They have released so many wonderful games. Please, this is just a minor criticism. This is something very small (I always thought that idsoftware and its friends could have corrected this flaw). Think about it and move on...
              "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

• I do not think that Quake solding many copies has anything to do with Quake 2 title. Then they could also use Doom 3 instead of Quake.

Direct story continue in Heretic 2, not Hexen (story of Corvus), but I also remember reading that there were also too many gameplay differencies (puzzle driven hub system instead of episodic continuation for example), so they changed the name.

Comment

• @Seven

Thank you very much for your Heretic Compilation.

Please, could you reupload the HUD-Weapon models for Hexen that you corrected in your Update 2 ?

The ones from the new Hexen resource box file seems not to be optimized for FOV = 100 in widescreen

Thanks in advance!
                  Last edited by kevin81; 11-26-2014, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RL Clown View Post
                    I do not know why Raven software and idsoftware used the title "Hexen". Raven software and idsoftware should have used the title "Heretic II". The storyline of Hexen was a direct follow-up of Heretic.
                    Can't really agree with this. Hexen changed too much of the gameplay formula to really be "Heretic II", and was only a plot continuation in the vaguest sense. Hexen to Hexen II kept much more similarity and felt more like a real sequel to the previous game. It was a sensible name change, I think.

The "Heretic II" that we eventually got shouldn't have been called that, either.

Comment

• Heretic II good but another game.
                      Hexen:Edge of Chaos: News - my most awaiting game
                      Qtracker - for easy searching of Quake and HeXen II servers
                      HeXen II: All Source Ports List - i am collecting everything for HeXen II
                      HeXen II Files - under development
                      Me at Facebook - want play hexen2 multiplayer write me
                      hexen2 ftp
                      hexen2 maps, mods, addons, etc, torrent

Comment

• Did you have mood to contribute to Blasphemer? https://code.google.com/p/blasphemer/
                        Its something like freedoom but for heretic, Free Heretic Game.
                        Hexen:Edge of Chaos: News - my most awaiting game
                        Qtracker - for easy searching of Quake and HeXen II servers
                        HeXen II: All Source Ports List - i am collecting everything for HeXen II
                        HeXen II Files - under development
                        Me at Facebook - want play hexen2 multiplayer write me
                        hexen2 ftp
                        hexen2 maps, mods, addons, etc, torrent

Comment

• If memory serves me well, I remember reading in "Masters of Doom" that both games (Heretic and Hexen) were meant to be part of a trilogy concept by John Romero, with a third game (Hecatombe) never being made.

Comment

• that blasphemer seems interesting. its like heretic, but different

is there any way though of accessing any of the other levels shown off on the main-page about the project?
                            i can only access the map in first pic and one cave-map with placeholder sprites for everything from the main menu.

are the other maps shown off on the main page of the project present in the 0.1.5beta?
                            and if yes, what are the mapnames of those maps?
                            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Somebody tried H! Zone for Heretic? Seems a lot better than D!Zone! for Doom (that's really crap, like Q!Zone for quake, uber crap)
                              Make Quake Great Again

Comment

• H!ZONE is "better" in that it's not entirely stuff pulled off of FTPs/BBSes, but also includes some brand new stuff. The quality isn't that much higher though (the new graphics are pretty ugly in places and the maps are iffy).

Comment

Working...
                                X