DOOM 3: graphic tweaks and glitches.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOOM 3: graphic tweaks and glitches.

I think it's time to gather in one thread all the Doom3 graphic tweaks: parallax mapping, new monster skins, light mods, shaders, and start to discuss about them.

What is the better mix of graphic enhancements?
    what is the best Doom3Config.cfg file?
    only this thread can solve these questions

Ok guys post your comments and your pk4 files. And say why the mod you are using is the better
    Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

"Not dead is what forever can wait" (HPL)

Welcome to QuakeOne.com/forums/quake-talk/
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
      Welcome to QuakeOne.com/forums/quake-talk/
      But its in the "Other Games" section!

Safe!

Though it feels weird to me discussing Doom3 on a Quake 1 website.
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Once upon a time I was onboard with the Doom franchise. Now prepare yourself, because I have never played Doom3. GG
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Quake players who also play Doom3 might want to talk with Quake players who also play Doom3, without leaving their cozy forum. I don't see the problem.

It's pretty similar to Quake in some ways. Especially when it comes to editing. It's like Quake 3 + per pixel dynamic lighting, with the gamecode written in a script language that resembles Quake 1's QC more than id's other games.

It's a small thing to install the duct tape mod and raise the running speed. That eliminates two of the most frequent complaints (slow movement, and the flashlight).

The annoying monster spawning doesn't necessarily affect custom maps, like this one:

::bja-design::

The techbase theme can be changed to this:

Anyway, back to topic, personally I don't use any graphics mods for D3, just a few tweaks like higher running speed.

gbmod_d3.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Dump this in your doom3 folder and load it as a mod. That's my settings. What it does:

- higher walking and running speed, running is almost as fast as Quake

- higher pistol damage, pistol is actually useful now

- slight increase to machinegun rate of fire

- some changes to clip / ammo box sizes, can't carry quite as much ammo

It is easy to add flashlight to guns, but I kinda like the original way to handle the flashlight.

My minimod only contains three script files, you can view these in notepad and my changes are marked // gb, so everybody can easily edit this without the need to know much about coding.

Oh yeah, there are hi-res replacement textures here:

http://doom3-hr.com/

I doubt my machine can run Doom3 with those though. inkub0 will like them.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I did an ultra quality run through it lately. With my current setup I never dropped below 60 fps once, and found the whole thing quite enjoyable all over again. I guess Doom3 is one of those games where you have to drop your expectations and just judge it on it's own merits.

I've never actually used any mods or special settings aside from upping the amount of memory allocated to vertex buffers and index buffers a little. Personally I find the whole flashlight thing adds to the game a little - there's a tactical element in it which would be missing if you could have had it always on. Other people may differ and that's cool.
            IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              But its in the "Other Games" section!

Safe!

Though it feels weird to me discussing Doom3 on a Quake 1 website.
              Whoops! my bad, besides Doom3 is and Id Software product too!

Comment

If You have ATI Video Card turn off Catalist A.I. in control panel, this makes glithes.
                I Like to use:
                r_mode -1
                r_aspectratio 2
                r_customWidth 1680
                r_customHeight 1050
                With this you can make any resolution.
                I like to use Bloom in Doom Doom3world • View topic - HDR
                Like Quake 1 mod in Doom3, The Dark Mod, Hexen edge of chaos -> you can talk here about doom3 Official Hexen:Edge of Chaos Community! - Index page
                Games based on doom3 is good to. Love Quake4, Wolfenstein and Prey.
                New game is coming in 2011 is Brink using Doom3 engine.
                The big problem is that doom3 requries high end machine, or doom3 need more speed otimisations.
                Hexen:Edge of Chaos: News - my most awaiting game
                Qtracker - for easy searching of Quake and HeXen II servers
                HeXen II: All Source Ports List - i am collecting everything for HeXen II
                HeXen II Files - under development
                Me at Facebook - want play hexen2 multiplayer write me
                hexen2 ftp
                hexen2 maps, mods, addons, etc, torrent

Comment

It doesn't really need a high end machine; anything from the last 5 years should be able to run it fine, with a GeForce 6000 series (or ATI equivalent) being a reasonable entry level for normal/high quality on the gfx side. Add a gig or two of RAM, and just about any CPU and it'll run well. None of that is high end. In fact it's actually quite firmly towards the bottom of "low end" by comparison to what you can can get today.

Comment

My old geforce 6600gt has a picture of the D00M3 logo on the fan!

Comment

awesome r00k!!
                      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Yeah, the 6600gt was considered the Doom 3 card for a good chunk of people back in the day, and was a damn fine card for the asking price. Definitely one of the best midrange/budget cards NVIDIA ever produced, and probably competitive with some of their then higher-end stuff too.

But it's a 6 year old part. Calling one of these "high end" in 2010 is equivalent to calling a 1st generation 3dfx "high end" in 2003...
                        Last edited by MH; 10-31-2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I used many shader enhancements mods, but they dont work. I see black blinking objects instead of the real textures
                          I have an ati radeon HD4830 - 512mb gddr3
                          can somebody help me?
                          Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

"Not dead is what forever can wait" (HPL)

Comment

I'm fine with the D3 graphics, I can play it on Ultra and don't want better textures or stuff. I got a GeForce 8800 or 9800 or something like that, it cost €120 a long time ago.
                            dfsp*spirit
                            my FPS maps

Comment

Originally posted by MH View Post
                              Yeah, the 6600gt was considered the Doom 3 card for a good chunk of people back in the day, and was a damn fine card for the asking price. Definitely one of the best midrange/budget cards NVIDIA ever produced, and probably competitive with some of their then higher-end stuff too.

But it's a 6 year old part. Calling one of these "high end" in 2010 is equivalent to calling a 1st generation 3dfx "high end" in 2003...
                              Yes, I consider this card a baseline for Doom3/Quake4/HL2, etc.
                              I really got a jump upgrading to the 8800gt, which is now a days pretty much baseline OpenGL 3.0 compliant.

Comment

Working...
                              X