Under 27kb for 4 Quake 3 Skins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under 27kb for 4 Quake 3 Skins

Well I did this YEARS ago, and I've honestly never found this online anywhere. As we know throughout Quake 3 Arena you see statues of 4 characters:
    Doom, Ranger, Major and Visor
    Those statues are actually static meshes which use the EXACT same UV map as their player model version. So needless to say I made them into playable skins.
    Pointless but for 4 skins - why not?

Examples:
    http://tremor.quakedev.com/shot0011.jpg
    But now in a player skin.
    Attached Files

Wow. Nice
    I've often considered making a Quake 1 map with statues of key characters. I wonder if it would possible to replicate this in Quake 1?

Regards

Monty
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

I've never mapped in Q1 so I am unsure if you need to edit the source code to add static meshes - like the torches and all.
      If you don't it would be entirely possible and very simple to do would just have to load the model up in a editor. Put him into position you'd like and then replace the skin with one that suits what you want and save as a 1frame model.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
        Wow. Nice
        I've often considered making a Quake 1 map with statues of key characters. I wonder if it would possible to replicate this in Quake 1?

Regards

Monty
        I don't think you can in quake 1 normally, but i do believe Quoth has the mapobject_custom entity which allows you to point it to a model and select a frame and it will display it in your map (no collision). I use this to place dead bodies on the ground, or i find mid-death frames to make bodies floating in water.

This way you could probably make statues just by entering the model path and frame number, then perhaps making a custom stone skin of a quake guy or a monster and putting it in the progs folder, and pointing the model path of the entity to it.

Comment

Hi Oppee/Blooddshot,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
          When I've dabbled in mapping previously it is usually a case of selecting the entity you want (light, flame, Gun, Monster, ammo pack, health pack, etc) and placing it where you want it to appear in the map. Then compile the map to a .bsp and off you go.
          I suppose it would be a case of grabbing a player model (player.mdl), for example, converted in to a "statue" suing Bloods technique and importing it in to the map?

I'll try and ask some mapping luminaries like Peg and Orl for their advice from the mapping perspective.

Thx guys

Regards

Monty
          Mr.Burns
          "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
          WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
          Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Wait for the upcomming RMQ progs.dat, I think with a lil' tinkering you should (in theory) even be able to use a particle emitter to make a fountain of dead player bodies, or whatever

Comment

Sorry for noob question: What "UV map" means?
              Hexen:Edge of Chaos: News - my most awaiting game
              Qtracker - for easy searching of Quake and HeXen II servers
              HeXen II: All Source Ports List - i am collecting everything for HeXen II
              HeXen II Files - under development
              Me at Facebook - want play hexen2 multiplayer write me
              hexen2 ftp
              hexen2 maps, mods, addons, etc, torrent

Comment

Texture coordinates - basically maps out the polygons and tells them what part of the texture they will use.

http://www.3djamiebowers.com/3d%20ga...vs%20black.jpg (example)

Comment

Understand thanx )
                  Hexen:Edge of Chaos: News - my most awaiting game
                  Qtracker - for easy searching of Quake and HeXen II servers
                  HeXen II: All Source Ports List - i am collecting everything for HeXen II
                  HeXen II Files - under development
                  Me at Facebook - want play hexen2 multiplayer write me
                  hexen2 ftp
                  hexen2 maps, mods, addons, etc, torrent

Comment

Working...
                  X