Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Selection 2

Anyone seen this?

Even though I really dislike almost all HL online games and mods, Natural Selection was one of the best MP mods I ever played for HL, and in general. It was a very good blend of action and strategy, and the design was quite cool - kind of like Aliens (the movie), but not.

I pre-ordered NS2 and the beta is good. However, It can get VERY glitchy if theres too many players, and It isn't optimized the best it could be. That being said, they update the beta frequently with new things, and the stable games I have played so far have been amazing.

What do you guys think of NS/NS2?

Looks like a moshed up clone with a twist. I would have paid a bill with the money you spent on that game.

Besides Black Ops is better.

But that's just what I think. I don't cook my thoughts, they come out raw.
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Not sure what you mean by clone, the (very similar) original was made in 2002, and It combines FPS and RTS gameplay very cleanly, and requires actual strategy and team coordination. That's one of the reasons the original was one of the most played online HL mods. It's way better then the new crappy AvP game which is nothing like the Aliens movies.

And IMO, black ops sucks. It's call of duty with new weapons for god sakes, and stupid ones at that. MW1 was the last decent COD game.

Sorry If i sound defensive, I like to argue

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodshot View Post
        And IMO, black ops sucks. It's call of duty with new weapons for god sakes, and stupid ones at that. MW1 was the last decent COD game.

Sorry If i sound defensive, I like to argue
        Them's fightn words.

I actually haven't played natural selection or #2, they just don't peek my interest, I don't really like games where you have to stop mid fight and reorganize units, I either want to play a RTS (StarCraft) or I want to play an FPS (Quake).

Merry Christmas.

I'll probably never play natural selection, it looks rigid and I just don't have much time anymore. and I don't know why I'm even downloading WoW right now, I'll probably never have time to play lol.
        QuakeOne.com
        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I'm just pointing this out since you obviously haven't played it, to clear this up but - the Strategy portion of it is entirely optional, Since it's whoever chooses to enter the commander chair/structure.

There's even servers in the first one (second is still beta so it doesn't have it yet) dedicated to pure combat. But still, i could understand you not getting into it, just because It might not be your type of game, since the normal gamemode requires a good deal of teamwork (even though you don't have to)

Comment

I will admit the first NS had alot of work into it. Was fun. However it got old quickly and I just found it to be "unpolished" - it didn't excel in any particular aspect.
            This one (#2) could of been good if released 3-5yrs ago - as even today the game looks highly dated.

Comment

I own this. Worth it just for the matter of what it's going to be. At this stage it's really not amazing but it's definitely improving.

Ooppee? You're complaining about this one man developed engine? Seriously? This looks great for being worked on by ONE man in his spare time. This looks better than most AAA games I see now anyways and this is Indie.

Comment

Didn't know it was done by one guy. I didn't enjoy NS mod for HL1 so why would I bother researching #2? Regardless though, if you plan on releasing a game - you want to at least make it equal to the modern games out there.
                As a example if a new game came out today with HL1 graphics (as a example) - it would be overlooked and probably ran through the grinder on the rating system.
                It looks decent but even from the video it looks like it still has ALOT of work to be done. The gameplay looked so stiff along with the player movement. A FPS has to have flow to it, map and movement wise.

Comment

Originally posted by ooppee View Post
                  Didn't know it was done by one guy. I didn't enjoy NS mod for HL1 so why would I bother researching #2? Regardless though, if you plan on releasing a game - you want to at least make it equal to the modern games out there.
                  As a example if a new game came out today with HL1 graphics (as a example) - it would be overlooked and probably ran through the grinder on the rating system.
                  It looks decent but even from the video it looks like it still has ALOT of work to be done. The gameplay looked so stiff along with the player movement. A FPS has to have flow to it, map and movement wise.
                  I didn't like the first game either but I picked up NS2 (mostly because of friends) because I knew it would be much more polished than the first. I mean it's not like you can do something all that polished in the GoldSrc engine anyways. Not to mention NS2 looks really rigid right now because they're just now starting to add proper prediction on everything. I mind you it just recently entered beta phase. They've been working really hard on this (I'm following them on facebook) and seem to keep releasing updates. (I always see the game updating in steam)

I'm excited for this game, they've already fixed so much so fast I'd be surprised if this game wasn't polished on release. I have no doubt that they will succeed with this game. The RTS options ARE optional by the way, think of it kind of like Savage except you can hop in and out at any time.

This game definitely won't be overlooked. It's doing well so far and it's only just got into beta. The engine is a very pretty engine it's just that the art style is very... square and HL1/Halo-esque.

Comment

if you plan on releasing a game - you want to at least make it equal to the modern games out there.
                    Black ops is doing fine with last gen graphics. Also, who cares about textures when we all know they can be upgraded down the line. If the game play is solid, people will upgrade the graphics of the games they love.

Comment

Working...
                    X