Deathmatch Classic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deathmatch Classic?

What did you guys think of it? I personally thought it was an alright tribute to

ID and Quake, but I didn't like it that much - plus, for being an "upgrade" It

sure has some bad textures - models are nice but the level textures are worse

then quake. That, and the movement physics were more like HL which made me

dislike it even more.

Looks like remake xD
    Hexen:Edge of Chaos: News - my most awaiting game
    Qtracker - for easy searching of Quake and HeXen II servers
    HeXen II: All Source Ports List - i am collecting everything for HeXen II
    HeXen II Files - under development
    Me at Facebook - want play hexen2 multiplayer write me
    hexen2 ftp
    hexen2 maps, mods, addons, etc, torrent

Comment

I play this once a month if not less. The movement is slow but there is a hook and powerup server that kinda speeds things up a bit. I like it, its not Quake but more like HL-Quake.

Comment

It's like Quake reborn, honestly.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I haven't played this, but from the looks of it... To me it seems nothing more than a terrible abomination and complete insult to Quake. Just look at the screenshots of DM2, DM4, E1M2. The textures are absolutely horrid. Look at where the rune textures and such used to be. There is now G-man and Lambda symbols... just... no, this does not belong. Valve states its a "tribute"... I find this nothing more than just a very bad idea, and an insult to ID software. Valve already took the Quake engine and labeled it as the source engine and now they do this to Quake.

I could go on for awhile about how I dislike Valve and their very over-rated HL games. I do use Steam though, I just really dislike how they took many of ID's ideas, then make this "tribute" to Quake with DMC... The atmosphere of Quake seems gone, what makes Quake Quake is gone. Don't want to come off as too harsh, but to me this seems... all in all... very bad.
          Last edited by bta.monster; 12-29-2010, 09:38 AM.
          Clan Brotherhood of the Axe

Comment

I don't find it too harsh, I agree with you. Valve makes some good games, but they always advertise source and crap and how it can run on older computers, when you look at the bare bones of the engine, it IS the Quake engine from 1996 still. Sure, heavily modified and with physics, but you can clearly tell.

Comment

That whole "how it can run on older computers" was a great decision though. Look at how popular Counter-Strike was even with the far better alternative options. One being Tactical Ops for UT2k3 - was better in EVERY aspect but had about 1/20th of the player base simply because of the engine. People who had a computer from 1999 couldn't play it - but they could play Counter-Strike - and smoothly.

On the note of Deathmatch Classic. I actually did enjoy it, wasn't as good as the original Quake. It was a more realistic Quake. The HL physics are alot better than Quakes. However physics also can remove from gameplay as was the case with DMC - the weapons lost their "feel" to them.

Comment

Originally posted by ooppee View Post
                However physics also can remove from gameplay as was the case with DMC - the weapons lost their "feel" to them.
                Yeah i know what you mean, I felt alot of the weapons didn't have the right punch. I also hated the redesign of some of the weapons, namely the Nailgun and grenade launcher. The rocket launcher however, was very nicely done. I think it even would go good with the original game, as it really seems like a higher poly version of the original, and is actually more true to the original then most custom quake models. Can't say the same about the rest of the weapons though.

Comment

Working...
                X