OSJC's skies for zDooM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSJC's skies for zDooM

Been busy with zDooM recently, Fixing issues that only come into play when using a new engine. I posted this on the zDooM forum but it's kind of saturated over there and I thought a few of you over here might enjoy and this way it's not missed/lost.
    Presenting;
    Skies
    the old skies for doom were 256/128 (designed to fit the view plane exactly) but of course in zDooM the ability to look up and down shows these limitations (e.g. tiled skies with mountains in mid-air!).
    whilst the option of stretching short skies is available, stretched pixels are fugly as hell!
    so I knocked up some bigger skies!

original episodes + Pic
    On these three, the simple addition of some clouds adds much needed detail.

TNT sky2 + Pic
    Here, the mountains and stars create a nice atmosphere but, nostalgia freaks relax, the distant galaxy and nebula are back from the original!

All in all I was most happy with the results as they do not at all look out of place with the rest of the art in the game but instead play homage whilst giving you the opportunity to look up without getting too disorientated!
    I'm sure someone has probably already done this better than I, but I like it and thought I should share.
    all credit goes to id software, team tnt, raven and midway for the art compiled from their original wads!

enjoy! ...or not

Nostalgic regards
    Latchford

Looks good.
    Did you planning to do same things for heretic and hexen =) ?
    in GZDoom it looks most beautiful.
    Hexen:Edge of Chaos: News - my most awaiting game
    Qtracker - for easy searching of Quake and HeXen II servers
    HeXen II: All Source Ports List - i am collecting everything for HeXen II
    HeXen II Files - under development
    Me at Facebook - want play hexen2 multiplayer write me
    hexen2 ftp
    hexen2 maps, mods, addons, etc, torrent

Comment

thanks, good to know it works in gzDooM too.

and yes, more are coming; ep 4 next and then who knows what then! I'll probably go through all the DooM's first and then onto heretic and hexen. still less work in raven's ones as the skies are already quite bigger to account for the wider view plane in-game. But still not 256/256 which is best for zdoom.

The prob with the sky4.png for 'Thy Flesh Consumed' (and rsky3.png in DooMII) is that the maps feature some holes in the floor, with the sky showing behind, making it impossible to feature mountains at the bottom of the image because it has to tile with the top! I've Just noticed the same bug on my sky2.png in map16 (in the yellow skull key cave) on tnt-evilution too! I think I will be able to fix that one without ditching the mountains though, as its only from one tiny angle that you can see it... (at 1280/1024 + anyway, not sure about lower res')

I don't remember if this map design/feature occurs in heretic and I wouldn't know about hexen...

you'll have to let me know...

*UPDATE*
      OK: FIXED tnt sky2
      Updated d1 sky (episode four sky) + PIC

More soon...
      Last edited by osjclatchford; 03-02-2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

OSJC's DooM II skies

ok, heres 'more' as promised, ok I know it's been a while so 'soon' is kinda out of the window but, hell, I've been busy with other stuff!

anyway, heres the goods;
        D2_SKIES.zip
        a set of three skies for DooM II!

pic

I had previously found a version of rsky1 floating on the net but It was a little rough (a lot of stray yellow/orange pixels) so I re-touched it back onto the DooM pallette and that one was good to go.
        rsky2 was a little trickier and help came in the form of Duke3D's cityscape sky textures, to add some much needed height to the buildings!
        (I think this sky is going to be a bit of a love it or loathe it kind of deal but IMO the two blend well...)
        Finally I came to rsky3 and hit a bit of a dead end.
        The same problem I had previously dealt with on sky4 and tnt's sky2 (the clippy floor-windows) was back, due to the design of the levels it features in.
        Of course, the mountains had to go, also the original had leering faces fading in between the clouds and mountains; it remained non-symetrical and as such, I had to change the texture entirely.
        For now, I have recompiled the four elements of tnt's sky3 for evilution and I am currently using this, but that may change in a future release...

enjoy...or not

regards
        Latchford
        Last edited by osjclatchford; 06-20-2011, 08:01 AM.

Comment

More skies for zDooM from OSJC

done a few more skies intended for plutonia/heretic etc, based off of this pic originally intended for the JDooM engine.
          I downsized it and tweaked it to fit the DooM pallete and heres the result;

check it out
          as you can see its just variations on a theme, (and another hexen-esque red one too) but I'm totally in love with 'cloudy dark' and 'cloudy brown' is now my current DooM II sky1...

like it? then grab the pack
          don't forget you'll need to exctract then rename the .pngs (to sky1/sky2/sky3 as desired) and put them in a texture folder, then put that in a zip or a wad.
          Then you can run that zip/wad off the command line...

BTW anyone know of a better orange sky (than id's/mine ) out there?
          Also, I'd love to know a better way (other than trial and error) where converting to the DooM pallette is concerned, too. I had real trouble trying to convert an orange version of 'cloudy' over to the DooM pallete, let alone a blue one.
          There just doesn't seem to be that many orange/blue tones in there...
          Last edited by osjclatchford; 06-20-2011, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X