Heroes of Might and Magic 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heroes of Might and Magic 2

Anyone ever play this? I used to as a kid (never got far in skirmishes or campaign, it was too hard for me back then)

It's a turn-based strategy game that focuses around control of the map for resources, and building an army and leveling up your heroes.

I really thought it was an interesting concept that was well developed, building up armies and hiring heroes to lead them, acquiring and up-keeping towns and castles, controlling the map, etc.

I thought it was cool how the amount of troops you have is sort of treated like your army's health for that type. Just reinstalled it today because I was bored, and I am really enjoying it.

Here's a video:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YdthMLeiRE]YouTube - Heroes of Might and Magic II (Homm 2) - Dragon's Ownage[/ame]

Just wanted to know if anyone here tried it before.
    These types of games aren't for everyone, but if you like strategy games (not RTS) I'd say it's worth checking out.

Also, IMO the first 3 are the best, the 2 after that aren't really that good, or that fun either.

I never tried it but a friend of mine used to play it a lot a long time ago.

It's fugly and turn-based stuff is definitely not my cup of tea but I was told by reliable sources that it's a classic and a great game.
    dfsp*spirit
    my FPS maps

Comment

yep i played 2-4. They are kind of fun. That type of game was based off of master of magic. Came out in the early 90's by Microprose which was like the early 90's version of blizzard, although they are unrelated. They just made great game after great game.

Master of magic was 2d top view looking down only. You had towns/normal armies and hired or found champions that you would level up. You would also unlock mystical creatures and use magic to summon magical creatures. Was a fun game. I still dosbox it up everyonce in a while.

Comment

Dear all,

turn-based strategy games are my second passion beside old First-Person-Shooters.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is the most popular one from the HoMM series.
        Thousands of people are still playing it.
        You are right, part 4 was a kickback. While part 5 got better. Lets see how part 6 will be.

If you talk about fantasy themed turn-based strategy games like HoMM, you must not forget to mention the biggest comrads:

- Kings Bounty: The Legend
        - Kings Bounty: Armored Princess (the successor)
        - Disciples 3

I even created some mods for The Kind Bounty series.
        I can only highly recommend Kings Bounty. Once you start playing, you will lose your sleep completely

Disciples 3 is much much darker fantasy themed (apocalypse). Thats why I love it.
        Damn, just look at these amazing screens ( I LOVE that dark theme): here or here

While Kings Bounty just like HoMM are fresh, funny, colorful with lots of sweet details.

Thank you for this nice thread

Kind regards,
        Seven

Comment

Forgive me, but I had to write some Disciple 3 in-game quotes.

The scriptural/biblical phrases/words gives the magic spells a special weight wich I have never seen in any other game before. It completely impressed me.

Healing:
          "... and he shed light on them, and he shed warmth and grace upon them."
          Resurrection:
          "... and he blew the song of life, and everyone responded, even those who have been silenced forever."
          Resurrection 2:
          "... And I saw the light, and he came to me and said that it was not my time yet."
          Summon a Golem:
          "... And he rose from the ashes and mud, naked, like a child, but do not be afraid of steel and flame."
          Attack increase:
          "... And then he said 'Not with me anymore, not with me ...', and he became the scourge of his enemies."
          Magic Resistance:
          "... And then he said:'Here is my shield, take it and save those who are wounded and sick'."

Comment

Like the rest i have great memories of this game. Played it in 1998, but not much. I did not have a PC back then, so instead i made my own paper game of Heroes 2 world - 9 A4 papers cut together to a one big game with drawn monsters, objects and landscape.

But anyway once Heroes 3 came, there was no turning back, and i still am playing, mapping and modding it till now. After Heroes 3, Heroes 2 was the best game, though it was very unbalanced in statistics. Heroes 4 was "too different" for me to like it, and Heroes 5 was just retarded.

Comment

I am played Heroes2 but mostly i played Heroes1 in dos. =) only these versions. Good Games.
              Hexen:Edge of Chaos: News - my most awaiting game
              Qtracker - for easy searching of Quake and HeXen II servers
              HeXen II: All Source Ports List - i am collecting everything for HeXen II
              HeXen II Files - under development
              Me at Facebook - want play hexen2 multiplayer write me
              hexen2 ftp
              hexen2 maps, mods, addons, etc, torrent

Comment

I never really got into HoM&M. It looks similar to Age of Wonders, another turn-based strategy game from the 90s.

Comment

Working...
                X