Anyone remember a game called Strife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone remember a game called Strife?

This was a fps by Rogue, I believe. Was one of the last games, if not THE last to run off of the DooM engine. Supposedly the source code for the game was lost. For those that don't remember it and don't wish to google it, it was kind of like an RPG/adventure on a fps platform. From what I understand, Quake was originally going to be something like this game. I wonder if it is possible to "recreate" a game like this without the source code. It sure was a fun game.

I remember it, but did you sure source code is lost? because GZDoom support it flawlessly.
    Hexen:Edge of Chaos: News - my most awaiting game
    Qtracker - for easy searching of Quake and HeXen II servers
    HeXen II: All Source Ports List - i am collecting everything for HeXen II
    HeXen II Files - under development
    Me at Facebook - want play hexen2 multiplayer write me
    hexen2 ftp
    hexen2 maps, mods, addons, etc, torrent

Comment

I played the demo on ZDaemon once

Comment

The actual source code is lost, yes. I read something about that once. I'm sure it's still downloadable and torrentable somewhere. I think I got it successfully working on ZDoom once, but it took some finaggling. But I read something that releasing the open source for modification was impossible due to some kind of system crash resulting in the source codes being completely wiped.

Comment

I played through the original game at one point but as I remembered it was quite long.
          I've also later tried the Vavoom Doom port which was the first to run Strife.

Found this on wikipedia:
          "A game engine recreation of Strife was created by Jānis Legzdiņš (author of the Doom source port Vavoom) by means of reverse engineering, as the original source code to the game was lost by Rogue Entertainment."
          – Moon[Drunk]'s Quake Graphics
          – Quake Revitalization/Retexturing Project

Comment

Nice! Guess that answers all my questions

Comment

Strife: The greatest game you've never played.
              I seriously can't stop playing it since I found it a few months ago. I only wish that the story was a bit more flexible, so you couldn't make any game-breaking decisions (unless of course your death is inescapable).

I'm certain that [G]ZDoom, Skulltag, and Vavoom support the game. Apparently Doomsday was going to, but that project was abandoned or something.

Comment

Check this for a complete lists of ports/engines to play Strife and other FPS: FPS Source Ports

Awesome classic game btw, played it a loooong time ago together with Rise of the Triad.
                FPS Source Ports

Comment

Working...
                X