Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• id software removed the buy link from its web site

Hi all,

I've just checked id website and found all buy links disabled: not only Q1, but all games listed in the site had been removed. Quite sad...

Latest QView server list

Interesting.

Comment

it would be so cool if they just gave quake away for free now...

Comment

You can buy all id software stuff through various other retailers like STEAM, maybe they are just closing down the internal purchasing branch..?
        Though, since both Johns have left the company, I believe the studio is pretty much done. The remaining staff might simply be there to organize support etc.
        I would be very surprised if any new title came from idsoftware, even Raven might make a id-tech 5 game, but i doubt it.
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
          Though, since both Johns have left the company, I believe the studio is pretty much done. The remaining staff might simply be there to organize support etc.
          I would be very surprised if any new title came from idsoftware, even Raven might make a id-tech 5 game, but i doubt it.
          I fear you are right. Obviously they're supposed to be working on DOOM 4, but I fear that may suffer from DNF-itis.

Comment

the world is fucked up

Comment

They should sell the rights to Solecord for a couple hundred so he could sell it here.

Comment

Maybe it's a preparation to closing down? Like moving everything to Bethesda main site, may be?
                About the game being free. Maybe not free, but a GOG release would be great. I totally hate when old games are on Steam. Steam is great for new game that are large in size and it's a lot more convenient to release it as a digital download rather than numerous DVD's, Blu Rays.... That's my personal opinion...
                MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

Originally posted by gulliver-trans View Post
                  I fear you are right. Obviously they're supposed to be working on DOOM 4, but I fear that may suffer from DNF-itis.
                  Not to mention Quake 5.
                  I am like a stray dog, lost in between what I do and what I should do.
                  But sometimes, all you need is Imagination.

Comment

This link shows all the results for "quake" in Bethesda shop. T-shirts and glasses...

Latest QView server list

Comment

id was a pioneer back in the early 90s. Doom and Quake were legends. Anything after Quake 3 felt kinda like the pinnacle had been reached already. Quake 4 (which wasn't released by id themselves), Doom 3, later Rage... great games maybe, but not the milestones any more that people expected or hoped for.

The shooter genre has developed a lot, and with all its diversity it's pretty hard to release anything special still. Maybe it is better if id silently disappears now. Members of that company have moved on, players have moved on.

However, I would have really liked to see Doom 4 still. And I'd like it to be really good. I also liked Carmack's idea to bring a Quake 5 which returns to the setting of the first part. One way or the other, id should leave with a bang.
                      Authentic Models Pack
                      OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
                      LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

Originally posted by gulliver-trans View Post
                        SOOOOO TRUE "LOL"

funny but also sad

"DNF-itis" LMFAO, that game turned out to be a Carbon copy of Call of duty with a markerboard/urinal/toilet simulators built in

then, they (i know not ID software, it was GEARBOX) did pretty much the same thing with Aliens - Colonial Marines... half of the game wasn't even fighting ALIENS... it could have been so much better... they went too far from how the original Aliens games were. Alien vs predator Gold the original AVP pc installment kicked ass... and i remember Alien Trilogy on PC and playstation 1 being pretty good back in the day *if you want to exclude predator from the topic* it was mostly aliens and fighting humans was kept to a minimum, but ACM made like a third, or was it almost half of the game , fighting company mercenaries .... it just got annoying after a while lol - I mean aliens are scary, fast, fun and can startle you and add to the feeling of being lost and helpless... but those soldiers you fight.. FOR SO LONG and most of the game... i felt like i was playing call of duty all over again... it just felt mediocre to me as an ALIENS universe kind of experience, they really should have re-thought it. And it felt way over simplified like the developers just assume the player is some blithering idiot who can't use any kind of critical thinking or problem solving, so it became totally linear in how you played every level *oh they also slowed the aliens wayyyyyyyyyyy down on movement speed* If you want to know what I mean by that, play AVP gold edition from Rebellion if you can find a copy, its a great classic and you'll see how fast aliens are supposed to be, to keep them being a maximum threat!

after so long playing it i felt like James Rolfe "AVGN" and staring at my screen after killing the 20th - 30th wave of company mercenaries , and saying to myself " this is an ALIENS game, i want some fucking Aliens dammit!"

sigh... so many squandered developing opportunities.
                        Last edited by -ArDaMaX-; 01-11-2014, 12:31 AM.

Comment

*back on topic - sort of *

well at least as far as doom goes, you get Brutal Doom , the version 19 that just came out of it is pretty fuckin awesome (it will hold me over just fine until the Doom 4 sees the light of day)

plus tons of other good projects still in development

but yea, i'll be amazed if they actually do Doom 4 RIGHT - , they did alright on doom 3, lots of amazing mods for that too... tested.sikkmod.etc.etc

and yea I also hate how steam tries to riddle these oldschool games with DRM , GoG should handle the oldschool games... at least they aren't super uptight about oldschool titles that arent even really their creations...

but some newer games , as said the bigger newer ones, ya those on steam i don't mind

and I hope Quake gets to see another worthy installment, if not, at least we always have our mappers and modding communities
                          Last edited by -ArDaMaX-; 01-11-2014, 12:32 AM.

Comment

As stated several times, relevance of ID is long gone. Their shooters from 90īs, no matter how legendary, are totally different kind of gameplay than what is expected today. They simply cannot release Doom 4 without angering significant part of market/community.

They should release Quake 5, make it pinnacle of all their old-school shooters and then disappear, before CoD and Battlefield fans burn down their HQ

Comment

Working...
                            X