Frikbot Zombie Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frikbot Zombie Mode

I had an idea today, and wondered if any coders out there would be willing to implement it for me. I am gearing up to release a version 3 of my Frikbot Waypoint pack that will support 600 maps. Basically, every Deathmatch map out there that is at all worth playing will be included in this pack. That means people out there can play the Frikbots on just about any map they choose. However, I have realized that all the months worth of work I have put in to this pack will be all just for Deathmatch play. That might get rather boring after a while for most players.

So, I thought to myself, how awesome would it be to add a Zombie survival game type? Basically, zombies could spawn at the waypoints I have placed at intervals, and quickly fill the entire map. The way I envision it, several types of zombies could spawn around the map in great numbers, and the player is teamed up with the Frikbots to survive a certain amount of time (the time could perhaps be chosen by the player). Or, the player could compete with the Frikbots to survive longer (although I figure the player could survive far longer than the Frikbots). Or, there could be a zombie Deathmatch mode in which zombies are simply there to spruce up Deathmatch (they don't reward the player for killing them, but merely get in the way).

I figure the possibilities are endless. The key is zombies spawning at waypoints. Since waypoints are literally in every corner of every map, survival would be quite difficult. All I need is a coder that is capable of doing such a thing, and I feel this next release of the Frikbots could be huge. Is there anyone out there willing to help me on this?

Of course, if anyone has other game mode ideas with the Frikbots besides zombies, I am all ears. I am basically just trying to come up with ideas other than plain ol' deathmatch, since I have gone to the effort to waypoint 600 maps. In case anyone is not familiar with my waypoint work, you can view the previous releases here:
    http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...t-waypack.html

ohh i am here with many free time i will send you a mp
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Hi L-H

Well I just discovered you work and I admit I don't really understand what it is about... I can see it's a "bot" thing and you made a great / big work to be available over a lot of maps.

While watching some of your videos I thought you recorded your own movements doing the navigation around (anything possible here) and then recorded it and then a bot can reproduce the right actions... well if it's how it works... very interesting.

I'm going to check back what you did you gave me couple of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Mom View Post
        Hi L-H

Well I just discovered you work and I admit I don't really understand what it is about... I can see it's a "bot" thing and you made a great / big work to be available over a lot of maps.

While watching some of your videos I thought you recorded your own movements doing the navigation around (anything possible here) and then recorded it and then a bot can reproduce the right actions... well if it's how it works... very interesting.

I'm going to check back what you did you gave me couple of ideas.
        Hi Mom, those videos are of the bots themselves. It is a view from the bots perspective. The AI is navigating, not a human. The bots are following waypoints, and navigating for themselves. They are very smart. They can use lifts, ladders, teleporters, rocket jumps, buttons, and obtain just about any powerup.

If you play them in deathmatch, you will see that they navigate almost like a human.

Comment

Hi L-H

But "how" do you teach a bot how / where to navigate... do you do the moves yourself while recording it and then saving it??

You see the idea?

Comment

Hi L-H

But "how" do you teach a bot how / where to navigate... do you do the moves yourself while recording it and then saving it??

You see the idea?
            Waypoints can be added using the method you just said, but the results are bad. I manually place waypoints at every junction for the Frikbots to follow, then save them to a file. For example, here is a screenshot of the waypoints. The waypoints have to each be placed individually, then linked to each other. Waypoints can be given certain flags, like "rocket jump", "jump", "precision", etc.. It is quite a bit of work!

Comment

Well it's "hard" to believe you make it that way... but I can imagine it.

In your video when it complex moving it really feels almost human like I've seen a bot who fail a serie of jumps and don't restart it from beginning just kind of "readjust" to the situation... also RJ is kind of mad lol.

I've heard of your bot very often happy to have a closer look hehe.

P.S.

About R00k and your many requests... I think he is retired since about 6 months hehe. I hode you can find a coder but I don't have one in my mind right now (may be MacGyver hehe).

Comment

I forgot this thread is about the "Zombie" idea... well zombies are always so slow in movies/games that's what makes me go away from it... feels too easy.

But ya with the "number" factor it can get a nightmare.

So what about something faster like a knight or some Doberman... anything faster and a little "intelligent"!??

P.S.

BTW is a monster kind a bot too... like when you play a single player game can you consider monsters as "bots" too... do they obey to kind of same rules you apply to the Frikbot?? That is a interesting point of view then!

Comment

Well it's "hard" to believe you make it that way... but I can imagine it.

In your video when it complex moving it really feels almost human like I've seen a bot who fail a serie of jumps and don't restart it from beginning just kind of "readjust" to the situation... also RJ is kind of mad lol.

I've heard of your bot very often happy to have a closer look hehe.
                  Just to be clear, the bot was created by FrikaC. I created the waypoints.

I forgot this thread is about the "Zombie" idea... well zombies are always so slow in movies/games that's what makes me go away from it... feels too easy.

But ya with the "number" factor it can get a nightmare.

So what about something faster like a knight or some Doberman... anything faster and a little "intelligent"!??
                  yes, there would have to be a large number of zombies. I've also been throwing around the idea of having other monsters spawn as well, to mix things up.

P.S.

BTW is a monster kind a bot too... like when you play a single player game can you consider monsters as "bots" too... do they obey to kind of same rules you apply to the Frikbot?? That is a interesting point of view then!
                  Monsters do not follow waypoints. They simply adjust to the map around them (so they can't jump or perform tricky moves). But in a small way, monsters have a simple AI, while bots have a very complex AI.

Comment

my computer died think its the psu but i did transfer my
                    hd to my other machine so i have all my current quake stuff
                    still *phew
                    when i get msvc installed ill send u a link to a new qrack build
                    then maybe i can help u with a zombie mod.
                    i wouldnt mind frikbots as the zombies maybe change the model to grunts
                    make them a bit slower but harder to kill.
                    ive been aying some mmo zombie games lately so i understand the gameplay
                    maybe similar but on a smaller scale.
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                      my computer died think its the psu but i did transfer my
                      hd to my other machine so i have all my current quake stuff
                      still *phew
                      when i get msvc installed ill send u a link to a new qrack build
                      then maybe i can help u with a zombie mod.
                      i wouldnt mind frikbots as the zombies maybe change the model to grunts
                      make them a bit slower but harder to kill.
                      ive been aying some mmo zombie games lately so i understand the gameplay
                      maybe similar but on a smaller scale.
                      That's an interesting idea! If the Frikbots themselves were the zombies, then the game play would have to be changed enough to set it apart from Deathmatch. For example, the player having a number of lives before they are out, and a set time to survive. I'm completely open to any ideas you guys come up with.

I talked to Nahuel today, and he agreed to code a zombie mod in which zombies are spawned at waypoints in large numbers - creating a survival game type. I got this idea from a similar mod for Unreal Tournament that spawned zombies on waypoints for bots. The map can fill with hundreds of zombies in a matter of seconds using waypoints. I thought there could be different skills that increase/decrease the spawn rate of zombies. Nahuel and I talked about different monsters spawning at waypoints. Some of our ideas were zombies that are fast but can be killed by any weapon, zombie scrags that can fly, a big boss zombie that has a much lower chance of spawning, and a phantom zombie that can float (which is a threat to any player no matter where they hide). Of course, the default zombies would be in the mix.

R00k, maybe you can work with nahuel to create several game types, or one ultimate Zombie game type? The way I see it, Version 3 of my frikbot waypoint pack would be much more entertaining if there were several different game types besides just deathmatch to play. Having 2 or 3 types of zombie games would make the mod stick out more than just having Deathmatch on 600 maps. The maps are already supported, so why not add more flavor to the game?

For the record, I can't code or create models, but I can skin to an extent and create sounds for new monsters. My main purpose will be to continue to add support to more maps though. I estimate around 650 maps when I'm done with Version 3.
                      Last edited by Lightning_Hunter; 02-12-2014, 09:23 PM.

Comment

after a day working on code for frikbots i can easily add a singleplayer bot mode to cax so that too can contribute to your effort of making waypoints for 650 maps. the average player can dl cax and run it locally like -gamedir cax then CHANGELEVEL and be put on a random map. The mod would do the rest.

I dont see anything wrong with an FFA Deathmatch mod with Zombie Grunts running around to get in the way. No different than existing traps like lava for example but this would be dynamic obstacles that the player would have to deal with. Using strategy like AXE so not to give away your loc to other players. But then having to use SG (etc.) cause theres 12 zombies trying to eat your brain.

Oh and BTW Q EXPO 2014 is drawing near... this is the community based EXPO where we show off any project thats geared towards Quake. Oddly it only branches out to MAYBE planetQuake as far as media-prise goes.
                        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

R00k b.i.a.t.c.h. check for bad memory brackets 1st... just an advise!!

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                            after a day working on code for frikbots i can easily add a singleplayer bot mode to cax so that too can contribute to your effort of making waypoints for 650 maps. the average player can dl cax and run it locally like -gamedir cax then CHANGELEVEL and be put on a random map. The mod would do the rest.
                            That certainly would put my effort to better use.

I dont see anything wrong with an FFA Deathmatch mod with Zombie Grunts running around to get in the way. No different than existing traps like lava for example but this would be dynamic obstacles that the player would have to deal with. Using strategy like AXE so not to give away your loc to other players. But then having to use SG (etc.) cause theres 12 zombies trying to eat your brain.
                            Ah, so you propose to have Zombie-Frikbots running around in addition to normal Frikbots? It's an interesting idea for sure, although I could see just a few issues with it. If the Frikbot-Zombies followed waypoints and were slower, they would miss a lot of jumps, get stuck, fall in to lava, and navigate quite a bit worse in general. Also, the Zombies obviously couldn't count toward frags, or people would prefer hunting zombies instead of Frikbots. But other than those things, it's a very interesting idea. A Deathmatch game with zombies added would most certainly spruce things up. Perhaps you could work on your idea, Nahuel could work on my idea, and there could be two game types in addition to normal DM?

Oh and BTW Q EXPO 2014 is drawing near... this is the community based EXPO where we show off any project thats geared towards Quake. Oddly it only branches out to MAYBE planetQuake as far as media-prise goes.
                            I've never really looked in to Quake Expo, so I don't know much about it. Do we simply submit the mod, and they choose which mods are the best?

Comment

i hope some of the zombies act like the ones in the altar of storms there so cool having them chase you and i like that they run fast. im looking forward to this mod! and making it compatible with over 600 maps!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X