Quake I, II, III, or IV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake I, II, III, or IV?

Out of the opinion from the masses what was the all time greatest Quake experience from I through IV? Quake I is by far the mother of the series with it's dark and hellish look and game play. Quake II was completely different and is the father of the franchise's growth from there on with the Marines Vs The Strogg.
    Make no mistakes here... I'm not a mere madman... I'm a realist!

you're asking this on a site with the words 'Quake One' on its banner. I suspect the answer you get will be horribly horribly biased.

But yeah, none of the above. QuakeWorld beats all, if only because of lack of competition.

Quake2 just feels laggy.
    Quake3 had terrible single player, but it came out at the right sort of time for a healthy deathmatch scene.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

Just wondering,

Lol Spike I figured Quakeone would be the top dog answer here, I was just curious if any other members actually played any of the other Quakes more than Quakeone these days. I haven't really played Quakeworld, I mostly played Quake 3 as far as online goes or Quake live which is basically the same thing with statistics. I really didn't even play it's single player mode that is the first game I just hopped straight online with after buying.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
        [...] Quake3 had terrible single player [...]
        Quake3 had a single player mode ? I must have overlooked that.

Comment

Quake1 ....Netquake .....QuakeOne .....
          My servers for the gamers:
          bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
          port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
          Offline ATM
          fvf.servequake.com
          flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
          Offline ATM
          newdm.servequake.com
          port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
          sigpic

Comment

What kind of a question is that? They're so majorly different games. You might as well ask Silent Hill 2 or SMB 3?
            MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

That's what I mean hdagon...

When Quake II emerged it shifted from a horror styled dark set to a full on space Marine assault on the twisted mangled body mixed with machine race called the Strogg. I have always wondered why id made such a drastic change in the game and never even tried to go back to it's roots. Now don't get me wrong I really enjoyed Quake II and Quake IV as a fast paced shooter but it just didn't feel like Quake to me at all even if it bared the logo. Now Quake III like Spike said hit the scene at the right time when the death match scene was really starting to hit big and I played the ever living hell out of it. I have the entire series sitting there on my shelf and installed on my computer but Quake I is always the one I seemingly enjoy to play the most as it was really the very first shooter game I actually played and has left a long lasting impression. It just amazes me how id software won't even try to make another Quake game that goes back to it's dark roots since that's what started the series and is what most of us enjoyed the most.

Comment

whaaa..... there's other quake-games?
                i thought ID only made base-themed alien-cyborg shooters after quake1?

jk, lol

quake2 and quake4 are both ok imo... still good games,but i much prefer the medieval and lovecraftian theme of quake1
                over the generic base-base-base-andevenmorebase theme of quake2 and quake4,

the cyborg-enemies of quake2 and quake4 feel much more generic, especially the ones of quake4 which look way to human.
                in quake2 some of the enemies at least looked like weird wtf frankenstein experiments, in quake4 all of them were just zombie-humans with a gun

Q3A:
                an ok techdemo... but thats really the only good thing i got to say about that game
                its a stretch to even call it its own game, its just Q2 with all code ripped except the multiplayer code,
                and the models and maps just look ugly as fuck imo...
                especially the weapon-models just look pukerificly ugly and unappealing to the eyes imo

and sadly enough its the one game which everybody everywhere seems to know most
                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

hands down Quake1. Clan competitions set the stage back in 98. The prospect of online deathmatch? Killing a lesser skilled human being? It was all the lure it needed for me.
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Quake 1 is the ultimate. QuakeWorld does not count since it came along after the Original quake was released and the game physics suck compared to NetQuake/Standard Quake. Quake 2 was ok, i played it for a short while even joined a clan then quit altogether. Quake 3 was ok as well. Never liked the player models just like quake 2. Quake 4, never played it.

Comment

Quake IV...

Quake IV to me was basically to me to break it down is what Doom's buddies are doing elsewhere while he is sawing away at a Hell Knight with a chainsaw. Quake IV and Doom III were one in the same to me game play and graphically with the difference being Doom was kicking the forces of hell back to their fiery hole while the Quake IV marines were trying to eradicate the Strogg. They should have just joined the Doom and Quake universe on that one since it was damn near pretty well the same game lol. They could have called it "THE QUAKE OF DOOM"

Comment

Now Quake 2...

The best thing I loved about Q2 was basically Sonic Mayhem's rocking ass Soundtrack. They had some killer guitar riffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Krymzon 45 View Post
                          The best thing I loved about Q2 was basically Sonic Mayhem's rocking ass Soundtrack. They had some killer guitar riffs.
                          Agreed. Q2 was a great game, I played the hell out of it. But it should have been it's own game, not part of the Quake series.

Quake 3 is fun to play. Again, Sonic Mayhem and Front Line Assembly offered a great soundtrack (especially Hero's Keep track, AWESOME drum beat). But again, it should have been it's own game, not Quake series, where they featured all of their previous game's characters (like Ranger and Doom).

Quake 4 was too generic. It had the feel and gameplay mechanics of EVERY other first-person shooter out there. Basically Call of Duty on an alien planet.

Quake, aside from defining the true 3D first-person shooter genre, is hands-down the best because of it's atmosphere, gameplay mechanics, and creativity (even modern games can't pull off the surreal and twisted shit id software came up with). I won't pick a side between NQ and QW, as they both have their pros and cons.

It always seems the first game in a series is the best. Two other examples are Halo and Gears of War. The first ones re-defined the action genre. After that, though, it all went downhill.
                          'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                            you're asking this on a site with the words 'Quake One' on its banner. I suspect the answer you get will be horribly horribly biased.
                            Not everyone on here thinks Quake is the only good or best game out of the franchise.

Quake 1 for atmosphere
                            Quake 2 for movement
                            Quake 3 for mods
                            Quake 4 flushed down the toilet

Comment

Originally posted by wicked_lord View Post
                              Quake 1 is the ultimate. QuakeWorld does not count since it came along after the Original quake was released and the game physics suck compared to NetQuake/Standard Quake. Quake 2 was ok, i played it for a short while even joined a clan then quit altogether. Quake 3 was ok as well. Never liked the player models just like quake 2. Quake 4, never played it.
                              Leading your aim is the hallmark of good quality Quaker.
                              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
                              X