Hardware Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Options

Maybe this has been done once or twice, didn't see many threads on it though. At any rate, here's another chance to show off your computer gear.

I'm thinking about building a new computer one part at a time , just a side project while I save money. Might be starting a new, better job soon.

I want to build a computer that will run DP and FTE cranked with no fps lag. I also want it to run QuakeSpasm so I can still get my old school Quake fix in (I've heard of upgrading beyond compatibility with older programs, probably not an issue with something as current as QuakeSpasm, but you never know I suppose). Quake is the absolute only game I ever play, so Quake compatibility is the only thing I give a damn about, really.

I've been looking at hardware options (processors, graphics cards, sound cards, motherboards, etc.). But seeing some screenshots of other members Quake games, I thought a thread like this would be a good idea.

So you members with the fancy setups...what do ya run?
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

It's not that fancy but I can run most stuff on max.

Intel 3570K
    GTX 780
    16gb.
    SSD.
    Asus Xonar DX
    Win 8.1 pro
    A Fractal Design Define R4 case which is like a big black monolith and really, really quiet (can't tell it's on, even when it's working hard)

That's my dev machine, I got a silent media one in the lounge (lesser specs) and a P200 retrobox in the shed workshop/office.
    Last edited by Adam; 08-06-2014, 02:40 AM.
    Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
    https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
    https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
    https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

Thanks buddy, much appreciated. If you can run most stuff on max, then it is fancy compared to my pc lol

Comment

Dual GPU behemoth ftw. SLI or Crossfire

moar powa !
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Haha I don't have the funds for dual gpu, but I can dream big.

The gtx 780 seems to be a good setup, not sure the 780 ti is worth the extra cash.

Anybody run a radeon r9 series gpu?

Comment

Well, I'm running a Tahiti GPU 7970, which became a rebranded r9 280 !! Does that count?

Here are some screenshot's I took while watching sharksandkimp.dem in darkplaces, everything turned on minus realtime lights and shadows! , coupled with snazzy replacement textures/graphics and playermodels ETC ETC

Ignore the frames per second, they are really inaccurate based on the hectic gameplay going on, not to mention every time I smack the F12 button the frames drop while the image is written (I don't run SSD) , the more I thwack the F12 button the further the FPS drops.

Here is a screenshot of Shub Nig on my rig with notarget enabled so the shambler doesn't throw a hissy when he see's me haha

I don't regret purchasing my current single gpu solution, or my last setup for mid-range dual gpu solution. They both deliver when expected! Although from what I read the codenamed Tonga gpu's being released this month are supposedly going to offer better performance @ being less power hunger, and IIRC , the memory will be clocked in at fucking SEVEN GIGAHERTZ.

SHA WING !!!!!

AMD Tonga GPU Arriving Sometime in August - Will Replace the Radeon R9 280 GPU

Also is supposed to be the first of its kind, coming from Global Foundaries as opposed to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company. I recommend waiting it out at least 1 to 2 months if you're determined to upgrade, let the dust settle and the gaming guru's out there @ all the tech sites push the upcoming offerings from Nvidia and AMD to see where the best price to performance ratio will exist, I'm an AMD fanboy and I'll tell you right now, I refuse to push my fanboyism onto another gamer,been there,done that, don't feel like arguing with the green team fans
            Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 08-07-2014, 03:53 AM.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

HUHAUHAHA

Dude, with a GTX 780 you'll be able to play all modern pc games @ 1080p with "ultra" settings. Unless you're planning to play it at one of those super duper 4K TV sets, it will be more than enough to play any quake flavor you want.

Take a look at this comparison table: PassMark Software - Video Card Benchmarks - High End Video Cards
              Fórum QuakeBrasil

Lots of Quake related stuff

Comment

that price stings.

Comment

That's a great comparison chart, thanks man. But yeah that price does sting. I've read that for the value price ratio, the AMD r9 290 is the way to go (not the 290x). But the GeForce would definitely handle whatever I throw at it.

I think Mindz you are right about sitting tight on their latest gpu. Those are some slick screenshots, thanks for the input man.

Comment

I get 500 fps at 1920*1080 on an old budget card (pretty much any scene without too much overdraw).
                    bearing this in mind, its scary just how expensive more modern games actually are (10 fps at 640*480? I'm sorry, what?!?).

rtlights are expensive, and often fairly ugly in their own right on account of being hacked in randomly by someone other than the mapper. they can be fun to play with, but they can just as easily make seens look worse than improve appearances. they look terrible unless you replace every single texture with a high res version+gloss+bump map. This can make 3rd party/less well supported stuff horrendous.
                    the good thing is that you don't have to use them. and if you're playing deathmatch you DEFINITELY do not want to be using them [rtlights].

'pretty water' typically requires the engine draw the screen at least 3 extra times, thus they're also noticably slow, ESPECIALLY when compined with rtlights.

if you're playing with smc, be aware that its particle effects have framerate-dependant densities. that is, the higher your framerate, the more particles will be drawn, and the longer it'll take to draw each frame, thus the lower your framerate. its not that noticable with rtlights on, but with them off you're still crippled below 60 fps...
                    that mod can throw a *LOT* of particles around the room when you're trying to run it at 1000 fps...
                    Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                      That's a great comparison chart, thanks man. But yeah that price does sting. I've read that for the value price ratio, the AMD r9 290 is the way to go (not the 290x). But the GeForce would definitely handle whatever I throw at it.

I think Mindz you are right about sitting tight on their latest gpu. Those are some slick screenshots, thanks for the input man.
                      May I suggest an older second hand card?

A GTX 460 or 660 (or AMD equivalent) would power any Quake at max and would be able to run most modern games at 720p and above. The majority at 1080 even with high settings turned up.

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                      that price stings.
                      We got a decent tax return and I wanted a Titan.
                      At half the price (for the same fps) my "better half" was not convinced I required it.
                      *sob*
                      Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
                      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
                      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
                      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                        that price stings.
                        Please, help me with this expression. It means something overpriced?
                        Fórum QuakeBrasil

Lots of Quake related stuff

Comment

it means it hurts the wallet! ?sorry for using a regional expression vegetous

Comment

in my experience darkplaces heavily benefits from dual gpu. it will take a good quad core to supply them. Darkplaces supports dualgpu solutions via renaming EXE AFR-FriendlyOGL.exe or D3D replacing OGL.

Comment

@Spike: I was looking at screenshots of crysis 3 in action and I couldn't begin to imagine how bad that would hurt my computer (if it even launched it at all lol). I think I would be lucky with that 10 fps.

rtlights are something I've been wanting to check out just to see what they're all about and how to mess with them to make them look good. On my current rig, turning rtlights on even the lowest settings drops me down to about 5 fps. Thanks for the heads up about them in relation to proper texturing. Picking up some hd packs is also on the list.

@Adam: sure you can. Lol. I actually went and checked out some of invidias "older" cards (hard to call something less than a year old "old" when my current gpu is from 2006 or some shit).

@Mindz: I thought I read somewhere that DP supports multiple cores and two gpus. I don't know if I can talk myself into spending that much lol. I did a lot of research on current cards, I might just run to Fry's Electronics and see what kind of money spending mood I'm in haha. Btw I'm hoping to catch a mp game with you and wicked pretty soon. I hope my connection is decent, we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                              X