Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Darkplaces feature, found in other games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Darkplaces feature, found in other games?

Seven or someone brought to my attention awhile back a neat feature of Darkplaces, a feature that made the outside area of DM3 stone's "pop out" visually in game.

Anyone recall the console command for this ?gl_offset something like that

&

Is this feature found in other games? I thought the effect was badass and got me curious if it can be found elsewhere!
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Do you mean like Normal/Bump mapping?
    Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
    https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
    https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
    https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

r_glsl_offsetmapping is what you are referring to.

The normalmap is OpenGL-style with green pointing up. This is what you are use to seeing in Darkplaces without height mapping. The offsetmapping allows for height mapping which the height channel is black for deep areas and white for being flush with the surface. This gives the illusion for depth and texture. Bumpmapping also tries to accomplish this by via a different mechanism often referred to as inverted. You can use the cvars below to fine tune to your liking. It will render in real time so no need to r_restart. One exception is r_glsl. That will only work if you put it in your config.cfg or autoexec.cfg as it's ready only.

These together:
      r_glsl_offsetmapping "1"
      r_glsl "1"
      r_glsl_offsetmapping_scale 0.05
      r_glsl_offsetmapping_reliefmapping "1"

For a very nice looking in game effect try these cvars. If you think the height map is too intense or "shiny" you can either adjust r_shadow_bumpscale_basetexture to a lower number or change r_shadow_gloss to "1" or "0". I prefer 2 because I like the pop! r_texture_dds_load will only work if you have the dds files obviously. LOL. I also added my custom bloom settings.

"r_shadow_realtime_world" "1"
      "r_shadow_realtime_world_lightmaps" "0.400000"
      "r_textshadow" "1"
      "r_texture_dds_load" "1"
      "gl_texture_anisotropy" "16"
      r_shadow_bumpscale_basetexture "16"
      r_shadow_gloss "2" //this one will make your character model look funny if you use rouhis player model :/
      r_shadow_gloss2intensity "0.14"
      r_shadow_glossexponent "64"
      r_glsl_deluxemapping "2"
      r_bloom "1"
      r_bloom_blur "18"
      r_bloom_brighten "2.0"
      "r_bloom_colorsubtract" "0.125000"
      "r_bloom_resolution" "1024"
      "r_damageblur" "1"
      r_glsl_offsetmapping "1"
      r_glsl "1"
      r_glsl_offsetmapping_scale 0.05
      r_glsl_offsetmapping_reliefmapping "1"
      v_brightness "0.0"
      "r_hdr_scenebrightness" "1.250000"
      "r_water" "1"
      r_wateralpha "0.4"
      r_waterscroll "10"
      "r_waterwarp" "0.400000"
      "v_color_black_b" "0.004167"
      "v_color_black_g" "0.004167"
      "v_color_black_r" "0.016667"
      "v_color_enable" "1"
      "v_color_grey_r" "0.512500"
      "v_color_white_b" "1.500000"
      "v_color_white_g" "1.500000"
      "v_color_white_r" "1.500000"
      "v_contrast" "1.187500"
      "v_gamma" "1.062500"

Here are some screenies of it.

Last edited by PrimalLove; 08-14-2014, 06:36 AM.

Comment

YES, thats what I'm talking about! Those screenshots don't really do them justice though, as seeing it in action is the only real way to obsess (admire lol) over the effect.

Is this only found in darkplaces? How come this shit never pops up in modern games? The effect is reaaaaaally fuckin sweet, I was curious as to its existence in other games.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
          YES, thats what I'm talking about! Those screenshots don't really do them justice though, as seeing it in action is the only real way to obsess (admire lol) over the effect.

Is this only found in darkplaces? How come this shit never pops up in modern games? The effect is reaaaaaally fuckin sweet, I was curious as to its existence in other games.
          As far as i know these cvars are in all DP derived game engines, for instance Nexuiz and Xonotic.

Then you have programs like this one which allow you to add this type of feature to games like Half-life 2. You have to have the appropriate texture maps to get the effect and an engine that can support them. If you look at your QRP or Rygel texture pack you'll see various versions of the same texture. Some of these contain the additional information needed to create the effects you see in game.

You can also use something like Nvidia Inspector to force simulated effects of this into some games.

Comment

Ahhhh, thats neat stuff bro. So basically in other words, the only way to catch this effect in the wild is through Darkplaces or some variant using DP as its engine. That's neat shit

Comment

It is called Parallax Mapping and it is in many engines.
              Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Working...
              X