• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake Live Adds Loadouts & Autohopping

This is the lowdown :

Original article here (RPS).

Polygons version.

Ausgamers version

I was interested to know what you guys think?

Edit: shortcut to Grim Warlocks thread

Mindz, you wanna leave this here or delete?
    I leave it to your discretion.

Last edited by Adam; 08-28-2014, 06:11 AM.
    Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
    https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
    https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
    https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Attempts to modernize Quake Live for a wider audience. It's probably not a bad idea actually especially since they are also leaving a classic mode that won't have these features. I think it's worth exploring. The auto bunnyhopping would make learning that skill easier for newbies. This was done in a mod called Fortress Forever which is a Source Engine mod for Half-Life 2 that re-envisioned Team Fortress Classic from Half-Life mod. They even incorporated a nice handy Tutorial for beginners as well to help learn the mechanics. I'm curious if this affects all game modes or just these. Strafe jumping and circle jumping take quite a bit of skill to master and once you have you kinda hate it when the physics get a bit changed. I could see this continuous bhop a problem for already skilled players depending on how they implemented the code.

I remember Halo 4 also added loadouts and it was met with mixed reactions. They called it HALO COD if I remember. LOL. But you didn't have to play that mode if you wanted classic so I thought it was a nice addition and it turns out more people played with loadouts than didn't. The loadouts could actually make for some interesting game mode ideas. The unified respawn times I'm not as keen on. Certainly the idea here is to "level the playing field" in terms of map control, but this might have been better used in it's own game mod. Hopefully it's not systemic. Global ammo packs same deal. Not keen on it but I see it as a "leveling the playing field" type of addition. Again, hopefully not systemic across all game modes. Taller pickup collision box? LOL. Look don't jump over the item, K? It's nice to be able to jump over something that is obstructing your path that you currently don't want to pick up for strategic reasons. Being able to jump over it is actually a good thing. Are they adjusting it so items are no longer in players way? I see this as a problem.

The POIs could be cool for certain powerups. It would give incentive for all players to go for that nugget but dunno how I feel about it. It's something I'd have to try but could be a good thing.

Just my two cents.

Comment

So the thinking is, newbify the game brings in more noobs.

I could try, by adding a new mode to CAx, (it already has 9 modes), and see how people like it...
      Last edited by R00k; 08-28-2014, 09:36 AM.
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Rock em both! I can't move posts or delete posts
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Probably for the better. I've long been saying that Quake's problem is the gameplay, not the graphics. Modernizing it is the right way to go!
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
            Probably for the better. I've long been saying that Quake's problem is the gameplay, not the graphics. Modernizing it is the right way to go!
            -holding down the jump button allows the player to continuously jump
            -players may now hold forward and jump to bunnyhop

both of those are laughable at minimum,and completely ridicule material at maximum.

The first two suggestions fly's in the face of competition IMO. The whole point of a first person shooter, in my opinion,is you give each player the identical toolset.

How that player uses the same toolset given to everyone is what separates a good player from a great player.

So now that bunny hopping is free,the learning curve has been straightened out for bunny hopping. I'm sure every newer player to join the fray will run into a server full of pro-bunnyhoppers,because when you make it easier for one category of player, you CAN'T make it harder for the other category of gamer.

check this basic view point I got

Bunny hopping requires a learning curve,its a talent that must be mastered.

<-Eliteplayer--|--|--|--|--|--|--|Avgplayer|--|--|--|--|--|--|-->Newplayer

Everyone starts at Newplayer level and gradually moves to the left in such a plot line,but by giving out free bunny hopping the gap between Eliteplayer and Avgplayer dwindles, while Newplayer gap between Avgplayer will be widened, by a larger margin than anyone I think is considering.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
            X