The 9-Level Ebon Fortress!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 9-Level Ebon Fortress!

Romero had some suggestions for a true-continuation of Quake, as you read in the title he suggested this ..

Originally posted by Romero
    If I was limiting the new stuff to only levels and not textures I would create an episode that was a 9-level Ebon Fortress. All levels would keep going vertical until the next level. At the top you'd have a huge open-top castle layout and looking over the edge would look like a forever drop.
    The talented mappers who are responsible for the recently released "Map Jam!" map packs come to mind, as they really churned out some serious awe inspiring map designs.

Discuss! =)

Could a Romero inspired 5th Dimension (Quake , Episode 5 , levels 1 through 9) become a reality? Well, there is a serious fanbase of single player Quake,and just the very PROSPECT of E5M1 rattles my nerves and leaves me light headed. Maybe even loopy!

source!
    Yes
    89.47%
    No
    10.53%
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Shit must be broken,I can only click yes once!!! (jk)
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Hells to the yes, I would

Comment

totally!

ebon fortress is one of my fave maps of quake,
        an ebon-fortress themed episode would be awesome <3
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

YES! This would totally rock!

Comment

The 2 who voted no had no response as to why. Would love to hear their reasons. MadGypsy and ArmorAttack please respond ;]

I would be all over it like stink on... we all get the idea. Anyway, Romero put's out a possible return for getting an episode 5 out. It would be cool to see him break out some of his talent to revive this game from it's root sources. We have a talent posse here in this community and if Romero could work along side these talented community member's i bet we could revive this game to it's fullest capacity since 1996-97.

Comment

I voted yes, though I should point out that "The Marcher Fortress" is already sorta like this.

Comment

Originally posted by wicked_lord View Post
                The 2 who voted no had no response as to why. Would love to hear their reasons. MadGypsy and ArmorAttack please respond ;]

Good Game

Comment

I'd love to contribute a map! Another idea is a remade and totally upgraded version of the original as a lower level of the fortress or something.
                  'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                    I'd love to contribute a map! Another idea is a remade and totally upgraded version of the original as a lower level of the fortress or something.
                    True that, I never considered in between's or expanded on area's.

You're talking helping Quake be less linear?

Comment

Not exactly, I mostly meant including a better version of the original E2M4 ebon fortress as part of the new ebon fortress episode. I actually like linear maps as much as non linear in order to change up the gameplay. Maps that make you backtrack 20 times usually get on my nerves.

Comment

There has been at least one "vertical map pack" for Quake. It's probably at quaddicted somewhere.

Personally the blue theme is the one I like least from Quake, because intense primary colours aren't my thing. Other Quake themes I find pretty garish are idbase (hectic crisscrossing lines) and the Gloom Keep theme (again BING BING primary colour).

I like the metal theme best, because most of the details and variations come from the lightmaps (i.e. values as it should be) - just look at the top of Ziggurat Vertigo with all the soft spotlights. Nom nom! Lava is a bonus.

The brown e1m2 theme is also ok, I guess.
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

i agree the e2m2 esque textures also work with multiplayer against team colors
                          and would also jive with a castle theme too

i would suggest a few mappers ( or wanna be's) contribute even a room
                          mak the whole map a commu ity effort
                          Last edited by R00k; 08-30-2014, 02:52 PM.
                          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I was always partial to the green/brown levels like E1M2 and E1M3 because of the dark, dank dungeon feel it gave to the game. But I also like the gray theme like in DM6.

Comment

A Quakeone.com chainmapping event? That would be a first.

I would almost get out of bed for that.

(chainmap: everyone adds at least 1 room, then sends the map to the next person - the last in line finishes and compiles the map.)

I'd volunteer to be the last in line, unless Sock or John Romero or someone else of that caliber wants the honour.

Who would be interested?
                              Scout's Journey
                              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                              X