1996: Quake vs. Duke3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996: Quake vs. Duke3D

Which one did you enjoy more as a child?
    Which one holds more replay value for you?
    Which one made you the most excited to play?
    Which one did you like modding and mapping for more?
    Which one is your favorite?

For me honestly i think Quake has more replay value, has better multiplayer, has a better engine setup, (although the tools that it shipped with in the dos days i did not like), And i like the artistic atmosphere a whole lot more.
    But Duke3D has more nostalgic value for me and ill still occasionally pick it up and play and have a little more fun than i did in Quake. I love the atmosphere and i love the music, it creates an awesome tone. But i enjoy the one liners and more variation in atmosphere that duke has.
    We primarily speak english here...
    Is english a second language for you? If you are having trouble getting your point across please confront me on the forum or send me a PM. German is a second language for me and i will be able to provide the most help to those from deutschland.

why do people always do this 'game a VS game b' or 'game a OR game b?' thing?

i just enjoy both games, both games have much nostalgic value for me and have great communities.
    for me there is no 'better game' or 'worse game', both are good games
    why does stuff always have to be compared or there has to be a thing like 'which is better?! A or B?'

i really dont get the point of those kinda questions....
    cant people just enjoy games without always having to compare them?
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

For me i only played the shareware demos of each game, in 1996.
      So based on that. I played the entire Duke3d demo level by level, several times.
      But quake, didnt replay it after finishing it once.

sounds odd, but true.
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Yea I enjoyed both games very much.
        I still enjoy quake :-) , weird thing is I made like 50maps for duke3d back in the day.
        Maybe I should build some quake map 1 day....

So no Vs for me
        My servers for the gamers:
        bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
        port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
        Offline ATM
        fvf.servequake.com
        flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
        Offline ATM
        newdm.servequake.com
        port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
        sigpic

Comment

Duke3d never really gripped me. I guess I found neither the levels nor the monsters interesting enough. And I didn't find it all that funny.

I think Quake also has the better sound effects.

Oddly enough, I disliked Quake episodes 2, 3 and especially 4. So I mostly played the dimension of the doomed over and over. I still think it's the best episode.

I'm also not a very competitive person, so I never got into playing online. What I liked about Quake and other games like it was just exploring the world, really. Monsters were just obstacles...
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I did enjoy more quake because was very scary for me

Quake, I think i only finished d3d once.

I really love some stuff from d3d, but quake is more "mistic"

I just did mods and maps for Quake saga (aniway not for ET), doom 3 and half life 1

hahaha
            the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

From a fan of "playing games" perspective, Duke3D crushed Quake! On every account. Except for the technicality where true 3d mattered. Meaning 360 degree freelook.

Feature vs. feature it isn't even comparable. Quake basically comes off as nothing more then Wolfenstien 3D but with actual 3d this time.

Regardless if Quake is more to your personal liking, I don't see how anyone can not see that?

EDIT: OOPS, for got to answer the questions...

Neither, I was an adult when they came out
              I've gone through phases. Duke3D with all the HRP and eDuke32 was first. Then came the rediscovery of Quake and all the custom engines/maps/mods etc. The latter lasting longer I must say.
              Upon first release definitely Duke3D.

I'm lousy at both but have dabbled with learning both, no preference really.

At this time there is no favorite. I just like seeing what others create for each game but more so now for Quake.
              Last edited by damage_inc; 09-01-2014, 01:06 AM.
              Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

actually i was using a 486 dx-80 back then so i think duke ran faster and quake ran at like 5 fps...
                www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                  actually i was using a 486 dx-80 back then so i think duke ran faster and quake ran at like 5 fps...
                  A 486 dx80, A 486! Lucky you were!

I had a 386sx20 with no maths coprocessor.

And sometimes no monitor!

Or keyboard!

Or fingers!

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                  But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

Last edited by Adam; 09-01-2014, 12:17 AM.
                  Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
                  https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
                  https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
                  https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

I was more fortunate. My first PC was a Quantex - Pentium 166 w/32 megs of ram and an upgraded 4 meg Diamond Stealth video card capped off with a Turtle Beach sound card and 2.5 Gig hard drive! Oh, and a MODEM.. OMG!!! Soooo Slooooooooow.

I never could get games to run in DOS faster, or more stable, than just running it in Windows95!!
                    Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Originally posted by damage_inc View Post
                      From a fan of "playing games" perspective, Duke3D crushed Quake! On every account. Except for the technicality where true 3d mattered. Meaning 360 degree freelook.

Feature vs. feature it isn't even comparable. Quake basically comes off as nothing more then Wolfenstien 3D but with actual 3d this time.

Regardless if Quake is more to your personal liking, I don't see how anyone can not see that? [...]
                      Hello,

I can only confirm this.
                      Duke had supercool things, like shrinking+crushing your enemies, steroids, freezing, remote controlled bombs, flying, cool weapons. And most imprtant: "Wanna dance ?"
                      It clearly beats Quake in this category.

But yes, the fact that we wet our pants when playing Quake, the technical (3D) advantage and the unique ambience and growling sounds made Quake the winner for me nevertheless.

Both games are hardly comparable and it doesnt make much sense to do so...
                      Both have their fans and still have ! As you can see with the eduke32 project.

Comment

Which one did you enjoy more as a child? Quake for sure.
                        Which one holds more replay value for you? QUAKE
                        Which one made you the most excited to play? uh, Quake
                        Which one did you like modding and mapping for more? I haven't mapped much but Quake
                        Which one is your favorite? any idea? =P

In all honestly, I owned both games and I barely played Duke 3D. I think I played through the first set of levels but I didn't really get into the game as much as quake. With Quake, I was insanely into the multiplayer back then so I would attribute it too that. Duke just didn't do much for me.

Comment

I played them equally originally, but considering I'm @ Quakeone.com and not some Duke3D website, yup. Quake never lost appeal to me, and what did not help was that IIRC, in order for me to get some online gaming in Duke3D, I was stuck using T.E.N. , Total Entertainment Network, as opposed to just firing up QuakeSpy which became GameSpy, that program made life so easy to get into a game of Quake.

When T.E.N. went kaput,so did my Duke3D online gaming. 3D Realms, Y U NO MAKE IT EASIER 2 MULTIPLAYER GAME?!!?? This was a huge factor probably in why I completely quit playing Duke3D, it just didn't have the same support that Id Software gave to Quake in terms of getting some multiplayer gaming in.

Also, T.E.N. was subscription based if you wanted to play endlessly, or you got like maybe 1 hour of free-bee game time. PFFFT, I was too young to afford a damned subscription to that shiznits...
                          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Duke Nukem for the humour/pop culture references I didn't fully understand.

Without mods; Duke Nukem
                            With mods; Quake

Although I preferred Duke (because I preferred the difficulty), I thought that quake was just more interesting for my imagination.

I made some duke nukem maps (which were terrible because I had no idea what I was doing at the time.)

Which one is your favorite? QUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE
                            twitch
                            wew lad

Comment

The point wasnt to say that one game should be played where the other should not, or that one is better. But they were both great games back in the day. I already discussed what i liked about them.
                              The point was to discuss which one affected you more when you were younger and what were your experiences when you played them both.

It was a tough time for PC gaming back then. I didnt have the best machine so i couldnt enjoy quake how i wanted to. So i gravitated toward duke3d, and i played quake more later in the early 2000's and after that i never wanted to build maps for duke again seeing the great new brush system, but i did anyway.

The content is so different the only reason i wanted to compare them is because they were the best games we had in the late 90's, so mostly the time period.
                              We primarily speak english here...
                              Is english a second language for you? If you are having trouble getting your point across please confront me on the forum or send me a PM. German is a second language for me and i will be able to provide the most help to those from deutschland.

Comment

Working...
                              X