Maps with "large" outdoor areas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maps with "large" outdoor areas?

I'm looking to see what exactly the engine is capable of. I'm finding very few maps that feature large(ish) outdoor areas. With some of the newer engines increasing many of the original Quake's limits, I was hoping that large outdoor environments would be more plentiful.

Does anyone have any examples of large outdoor areas used in Quake?

unforgiven map-set has huge maps which are mostly huge outdoor areas:
    https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/unforgiven.html
    especially the last map (which is shown in the pic) is a huge outdoor map

unforgiven also has huge enemy-counts so its perfect for seeing what newer engines are capable of

the last map of nyarlathotop (once again map shown in pic) is also huge and is also mostly outdoor:
    https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/nyarlathotep.html

you need either Darkplaces, FTEQW, Quakeforge, Quakespasm or RMQ-engine or any other engine which supports BSP2 for both map-sets
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Wow, those are both excellent, thanks! I got some major slowdown on the last map of nyarlathotop when viewing the whole area, but so far the unforgiven set has pretty reasonable framerates.

Comment

One of these days I want to make a true outdoor map using terrain and custom models such as rocks and pine trees. Combat would be against base enemies, and it would be cool to have some AI buddies as part of your squadron. Intense forest combat where you're always running for cover.

I think the reason more large maps aren't around is the lack of environmental decoration such as trees. It would require a mod including all these things.
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

drake actually has a couple dead trees people can put into their maps:
          http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...drake-mod.html

its only 3trees, but still... it are some trees

oh, the SMC allows placing of any model in a map btw!
          http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...tml#post111180 (halfway down the first post)
          perhaps you could take over that feature from the SMC for your riftquake mod, so that mappers can put any kinda objects in their map
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

[snicker] @ it are some trees . I imagined my 5 year old niece saying that. She used to respond with "I'm is" instead of "I am" ... and it was pretty damn cute.
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

To be fair, I would imagine Talisa's English is a lot better than most people's Dutch
              Mr.Burns
              "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
              WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
              Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

@Mr Burns - no doubt! Definitely better than my Nederlands
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                  One of these days I want to make a true outdoor map using terrain and custom models such as rocks and pine trees. Combat would be against base enemies, and it would be cool to have some AI buddies as part of your squadron. Intense forest combat where you're always running for cover.

I think the reason more large maps aren't around is the lack of environmental decoration such as trees. It would require a mod including all these things.
                  ohh !! currently I am making a mod-map with these features
                  the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

look for any map with a skybox

Comment

Experimental stuff in alpha stage, this unique-map-mod is called "funpeople"

syluxman2803

Comment

@nahuel

Amazing looking work! Thanks for sharing! Did you make the terrain using a terrain generator? Are the tree's sprites or 3d objects?

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalLove View Post
                          @nahuel

Amazing looking work! Thanks for sharing! Did you make the terrain using a terrain generator? Are the tree's sprites or 3d objects?
                          Just models !
                          pines, grass and bushes are public domain models from open game art (edited, and relicensed to GPL2 by me), the another trees are GPL 2. Actually the riff is another model , for the terrains i use A MAP GENERATOR from xonotic tools ccalled IMgtoMap

syluxman2803

Comment

That is fantastic!! Exactly what I was thinking.
                            'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Excellent stuff Nahuel. Quake is finally starting to look the way it always should have done

Keep up the good work sir!

Kind regards

Monty
                              Mr.Burns
                              "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                              WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                              Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Working...
                              X