Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QN dedicated servrs + other things(HELP!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QN dedicated servrs + other things(HELP!!)

Hi, folks!

In my country(Brazil), the qw players says craps like it's difficult to create many dedicated servers in hosts to old Quake1(QN) because this game, unlike qw, is very old, unimproved for to creat servers and it consume a lot of CPU capacity(CPU host). I know nothing about it, then they will tell the truth?

I have other issues as ...
    1- Is there a specific mod (something like the KTX of the QW) that can play in TEAMS or DUELS in vanilla QN?

2- The original Clan Arena(Final Arena) and CTF are mods under QN or QW physics? Days ago I tried to connect to a server CTF, but could not with proquake. But with ezquake I've succeeded!

3- Why the hell nobody plays deathmatch some damned Mission Pack? There is not even this damn HIPNOTIC or ROGUE server? WTF why???

Hi Legionator,
    Originally posted by Lejionator View Post
    Hi, folks!
    1- Is there a specific mod (something like the KTX of the QW) that can play in TEAMS or DUELS in vanilla QN?
    As I recall CRMod and RuneQuake (run in psuedo FFA mode) will allow you to play teams and Duels (also known as match mode) using NetQuake

2- The original Clan Arena(Final Arena) and CTF are mods under QN or QW physics? Days ago I tried to connect to a server CTF, but could not with proquake. But with ezquake I've succeeded!
    That suggests to me that the server you were attempting to connect to was a QuakeWorld server. Although it is possible for some Quakeworld clients such as FTE to connect to NetQuake servers, and I believe some NetQuake clients such as Darkplaces can connect to QuakeWorld servers, Proquake can't do this as far as I am aware.

Hope this helps

Monty
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 10-20-2014, 01:30 PM.
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Thanks, Monty! You have helped me alot!

You know or know someone who can enlighten me on this issue of NetQuake servers consume a lot of CPU? And about multiplayer servers of mission packs?

Comment

You know or know someone who can enlighten me on this issue of NetQuake servers consume a lot of CPU? And about multiplayer servers of mission packs?
        In my experience a modest Pentium 3 can comfortably run a medium sized NetQuake server if it is managed correctly. Given the power of today's CPU it's unlikely to present a modern server with a major problem. You might also take in to consideration that a number of the current servers (e.g. New York, Damage, Bigfoot, QRF) run multiple Quake servers off the same box.

Sorry, I have never played the mission packs so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Kind regards
        Monty
        Mr.Burns
        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

If you use a modern ProQuake server, do +host_sleep 1 in the command line and it will use less CPU.

Missions packs: Well, they cost $$$ and most people don't own the Mission Packs. You can't exactly offer the Mission Packs downloads legally.

Besides, no one hosts 1996 mods because they don't have player map voting and aren't hardened against even the most trivial player abuse.

If I connect to a CRMOD or RuneQuake server or CAx server, I can the map via map voting. How are you going to do that with a Mission Pack? Well, you could but you'll have to take a new hobby and learn QuakeC or find someone who can it. I guess I am saying that "as-is" doing anything with Rogue or Hipnotic is going to suck.

Final Arena is 1996-like. http://quakeone.com/cax is actively maintained and modern.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

quakeworld servers throttle back and stop executing gamecode frames if they don't have a client on the server at the time.
            when there is a player, they also wait for new packets instead of running a new frame all the time. the packet rate isn't fixed, and the servers can thus cope with running at 100% cpu by throttling a little. the result is the same as conjestion.

NQ servers try to run at a fixed packet rate, but they shouldn't have a problem with 100% cpu usage so long as they can still run at least 10 frames a second. that's not very many. people were running dedicated servers on 486s.

I know a guy who was running a dedicated server on a raspberry pi. basically an outdated phone chipset with no screen. the biggest issue was with the hardware/drivers rather than performance, although I wouldn't recommend trying more than 4 players on it.
            Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
              quakeworld servers throttle back and stop executing gamecode frames if they don't have a client on the server at the time.
              That was on my to-do list. Not entirely stop execution, but automatically slow it way down.

Some NQ mods need to run gamecode even if there are no players, at least for a few minutes.

There are NQ mods that if the last player leaves and 5 minutes passes, change the map to a default map and restore all vote-settings to server defaults. (examples: quake.shmack.net:26002 will change the map to dm6, RQuake will change the map to intro the coop selector map).
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

here's my startframe in CAx
                Code:
                void() StartFrame =
                {
                	local entity anyonehome;

if (sys_ready)
                	{
                		//R00k reset mode if server is empty, 10 minute interval
                		if (!mode_match())
                		{
                			if (last_client_check == 0)
                				last_client_check = time + 120;//2 minute delay...

if (time > last_client_check)
                			{
                				anyonehome = find(world, classname, "player");
                				if (anyonehome == world)
                				{
                					execute_changelevel();
                					if (time > intermission_exittime)
                					{
                						request_mode = 1;//match mode default
                						votables_set_mode();
                						sys_ready = FALSE;
                					}
                				}
                				last_client_check = time + 600;//10 minute cycle
                			}			
                		}					
                		else
                		{
                			//this restarts the server after 6 hours if no one is on the server, removes floating point errors caused by servers running all day...
                			//added last_client_check here, (5/2/2014 9:33AM), it's rare that someone is on the server at the exact time but, if so, don't spam the find every frame.
                			if (time > 21600)
                			{					
                				if (time > last_client_check)
                				{
                					anyonehome = find(world, classname, "player");
                					if (anyonehome == world)
                					{
                						localcmd (";restart;\n");
                						sys_ready = FALSE;
                					}
                				}
                				last_client_check = time + 600;
                			}
                		}
                	}	

CA_StartFrame();
                	framecount  = framecount + 1;

if (lasth)
                		SearchHunk();
                };
                I'm sure you could set a global 'anyonehome' and check it at each entry point where the engine access the gamecode, but i believe the best approach would be to do it within the engine.
                Last edited by R00k; 10-23-2014, 08:27 AM.
                www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Thanks for the replies, friends! How am very noob, I'll try to explain what I understand about all this...

-QW: As I understand it, the QW servers have the ability to paralyze the fps of gamecode when there are no players online, and they do not again run the fps when a new packet is sent to them (ie, when a player enters the server). And by freezing the fps, it prevents the server rather use the memory capacity of the CPU, am I right? So that's why most servers today my day limit that players connect using cl_maxfps up to 77. It is not to overflow the server! Not only did the bidding of the "slow packages"(or "throttle back"). But this feature functionality of QW servers is something "classic QW", or any modern client like ezQuake?

- NQ: From what I understand about the NQ servers, they do not slow down or freeze the packages and the fps, and if it can cause high CPU usage even so the NQ servers may work well because they run up to 10fps. But this can not affect the gameplay of players who enter them, so how can to lag the other servers that are running on the same CPU? And there is not a modern client that can come to improve this kind of netcode of NQ? The dedicated executable of ProQuake not help it with this command "host_sleep + 1"?

- Mission Packs's Deathmatch: About the mission packs, unfortunately the biggest problem of them are lack of voting map system and it alienates players. And I was also aware of poor compatibility in running them on modern servers to customers because of something called "Protocol". I have a friend who is a programmed expert, called Razor and Quake2 fan, who said he will create a patch update for the mission packs and solve these problems in soon.

Sorry my poor english. Regards!
                  Last edited by Lejionator; 11-01-2014, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Cax.quakeitup.com:26003 runs Rogue/Hipnotic. You must use Darkplaces to connect or a NQ client.

Comment

Originally posted by wicked_lord View Post
                      Cax.quakeitup.com:26003 runs Rogue/Hipnotic. You must use Darkplaces to connect or a NQ client.
                      I tried to connect with DirectQ and ProQuake, and this happened ...

stil trying...
                      still trying...
                      no response.

Host_Error: cl_connect: connect failed

Comment

I tried to connect with DirectQ and ProQuake, and this happened ...
                        Ack. Must be down. I will try and get it up in the next few days. Thanks

Comment

Its up and works. But its running kleshik. It's better you go download that first and run the mod before connecting. Kleshik requires Darkplaces so you will not be able to connect with DirectQ or Proquake. DP is the way to go.

Regards,

Primal

Comment

This kleshik mod is something like a mixture of both mission packs? I tried to connect using DarkPlaces and it worked(I could connect, but only using darkplaces, I could not with DirectQ or ProQuake), but it was a horrible experience because my laptop only runs quake on software mode.

Oh, and I am still awaiting someone who can answer me this:

Thanks for the replies, friends! How am very noob, I'll try to explain what I understand about all this...

-QW: As I understand it, the QW servers have the ability to paralyze the fps of gamecode when there are no players online, and they do not again run the fps when a new packet is sent to them (ie, when a player enters the server). And by freezing the fps, it prevents the server rather use the memory capacity of the CPU, am I right? So that's why most servers today my day limit that players connect using cl_maxfps up to 77. It is not to overflow the server! Not only did the bidding of the "slow packages"(or "throttle back"). But this feature functionality of QW servers is something "classic QW", or any modern client like ezQuake?

- NQ: From what I understand about the NQ servers, they do not slow down or freeze the packages and the fps, and if it can cause high CPU usage even so the NQ servers may work well because they run up to 10fps. But this can not affect the gameplay of players who enter them, so how can to lag the other servers that are running on the same CPU? And there is not a modern client that can come to improve this kind of netcode of NQ? The dedicated executable of ProQuake not help it with this command "host_sleep + 1"?

- Mission Packs's Deathmatch: About the mission packs, unfortunately the biggest problem of them are lack of voting map system and it alienates players. And I was also aware of poor compatibility in running them on modern servers to customers because of something called "Protocol". I have a friend who is a programmed expert, called Razor and Quake2 fan, who said he will create a patch update for the mission packs and solve these problems in soon.

Sorry my poor english. Regards!

Comment

I think you are overthinking it. It is a game from 1996. There are plenty of QN servers as you call them (QuakeOne - Quake Servers ) --- just not so many in Brazil as there used to be.

Start a server using a modern ProQuake (Download ProQuake 4.51 ... since you say only software Quake works), with something like "c:\quake\wqpro451.exe -dedicated 16 -game crmod +host_sleep 1 +map dm6" (download CRMOD) and extract to c:\quake\crmod

Nothing prevents you from hosting a rogue or hipnotic mission pack server, I was just saying it would be an effort. But sometimes easier to discover this on your own and it makes more sense after you try.

And, if all that doesn't work, play some Quakeworld.

That Kleshik server is DarkPlaces only so that is why nothing else worked.

Comment

Working...
                              X