Need help with mutiplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with mutiplayer

Hey, guys. I wanna play Quake coop with my friend, but I've never done that before. Can you please tell me if there's a way to arrange voice/video chat? Any peculiarities I should care about? This is gonna be my very first multiplayer session, so I'm a total noobe.
    MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Hi HD
    I don't know if it will help, but normally when I want to coop I would go to NYC (connect newyork.servequake.com:26001) and then press 2 in order to join the game. If you are at the intro level with all the available maps shown then shoot the picture of the map you want to play, and when the portal opens up jump in to the teleporter to select it. It probably sounds more complicated than it is but it really is very straightforward.

You might want to avail yourself of the relevant custom maps, possibly via the installer, if you haven't already done so. If not then you may have to get them independantly, set your proquake/qrack quake engine to download them automatically, just vote for ID maps

If you want to chat just press T in game and type your message.

Hope this helps

Monty
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 11-05-2014, 08:33 AM.
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Hey, thanks! And what about voice/video chat? Is it possible with Quake? What should I have installed?
      MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

Okay, guys. We want to use ezQuake with voice chat. But, as supid as it sounds, how do we connect to each other? We tried Darkplaces, but DP on his side says "No Network"

Comment

How are you trying to connect? Direct Ip? Also, you said you wanted to use ezQuake but then you say you tried DP. So I am confused? DP can connect to a QW server. Are you hosting a server locally and just want to connect with each other via ip? If so, make sure you have the appropriate ports open for in and out traffic. If you are having trouble doing that or you are unsure how I'd suggest setting up a direct tunnel to your friend. Using hamachi, tunngle or evolve. I mention these because they require little to no setup time and do not require you to make firewall or dmz changes. For the most part. This would be like playing on the same local network. So you can just make a Lan game and you can both connect to each other.

But, if you plan to use the voice chat feature in ezQuake both of you will need to use the same client. However, as far as connecting, if you are running an ezQuake qw server a DP client should be able to connect. Just remember that the default ports are different for Netquake vs QW servers. QW i believe is 27500 and Netquake is 26000. Good Luck. Oh, and evolve has a built in voice chat feature. Also you can use something like teamspeak/mumble or skype.

Comment

OK, I feel incredibly stupid now. We want to play coop, just me and him, voice chat is not a priority. I don't know what the difference between direct IP connection and server hosting is. I need step by step instruction for ezQuake. Like those "For Dummies" instructions. We've never done this and it seems incredibly hard.

We both installed Evolve, but, to our shame, we have no idea how to use it...

Comment

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...ic-server.html

Comment

Off hand I know of two popular ways to voice chat, but both require to have a server for mumble which I use or teamspeak. Now I use a private mumble server paid for by a friend, but there are free public servers/rooms. I have never used them or have any idea of the privacy or lack of there might be. Mumble is free to download and might be something to check out.

Also to note although I've never used it, Steam has voice chat built in for free last I looked. You guys are likely friends on Steam if you have that so there is good option to try.

Originally posted by hgdagon View Post
                We want to play coop, just me and him, voice chat is not a priority.

Sounds to me his firewall or router might be blocking DP from the network. If I host on our LAN its fine, but if I host for a friend on the internet I need to port forward whatever IP/Port number I'm using in Darkplaces.

Originally posted by hgdagon View Post
                DP on his side says "No Network"

Comment

As I mentioned above, if you want basically zero setup and no need to port forward just use hamachi, evolve, or tunngle. One of them has voice chat already. I also mentioned skype, steam chat, teamspeak/mumble, raidcall, etc, etc, etc.
                  Last edited by PrimalLove; 11-06-2014, 05:02 AM.

Comment

^^

i like primal; he's a smart fella!
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I was a bit slow yesterday, just wanted someone else to fix things for me. Today I looked at the whole thing with a fresh mind, and, it turns out, it's a whole lot easier than it seemed yesterday. Coop Quake is awesome! Maybe I'll try other goods of the multiplayer some time soon.

@PrimalLove
                      You were very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                      X