difficulty connecting server darkplaces 32b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difficulty connecting server darkplaces 32b

I have a friend with an older laptop, win vista 32 bit. I just installed quake and darkplaces 20100408 32 version

It seems to run fine, BUT I cannot connect to a server.

I am trying to get them on shmack, but the connection simply times out.

I have specifically allowed the program through the firewalls.

I am at a loss here.

please help, we can add a new quaker!
    Nekkid

hmm sv_protocol "quake" not "dp7"
    ?
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

ROOK,

Im sorry, but I just don't follow, is that a command I should be adding to the config file? Or is it something I should do in the console?
      Nekkid

Comment

Hi Nekkid

I suspect what Rook is alluding to is the fact that Darkplaces servers can use different network protocols such as standard quake or its own dp7 protocol to allow connections. If I understand it correctly the RuneQuake server at shmack cannot currently run on Darkplaces servers but as a precaution you could check both the autoexec.cfg and config.cfg files on your system for the setting Rook has highlighted to ensure that your friend is not trying to connect via the dp7 protocol which obviously wont work with the non dp7 server. On the other hand I could have completely misunderstood and Rook could mean something very different.

2010 sounds like quite an old version of DP, have you tried a newer version (download link)?
        If not, you could check to see if a different and more up to date Quake client such as Qrack or Proquake 3.93 has the same issues.

Have they tried to connect to any other server ? e.g. what happens if they try connect newyork.servequake.com:26000 ?

If the issues remain and all engines are unable to connect to any servers then you might want to revisit the firewall to ensure that the appropriate ports (and there are potentially a lot) are open for the quake engine to pass through unhindered.

Hope this helps

Monty
        P.S. Put some pants on
        Last edited by Mr.Burns; 11-07-2014, 03:12 PM.
        Mr.Burns
        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Not sure how important this may be, but why the old DP version 20100408? Maybe try the latest stable version 20140513?

Comment

As always, very helpful Thank you all.... Particularly Monty. (It is drafty in here w/o pants)

I upgraded to the 32 bit DP engine brought out in 2014. Seemed to work!

cheers
            Nekkid

Comment

Good deal!

Originally posted by QuakeNekkid View Post
              I upgraded to the 32 bit DP engine brought out in 2014. Seemed to work!

cheers

Comment

Working...
              X