Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• incoming Romero Q&A

News soon!
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Waiting patiently....

Is this connected to the questions we all put forward or something else?
    Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
    https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
    https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
    https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

we'll be getting a Q&A with romero after all?
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Yessem, check your PM. Golden Boy is currently out of commission, I handed it off to him and he hit me back with news of a shoulder injury. Hope he recovers.

It is missing a proper format setup, etc.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
          Waiting patiently....

Is this connected to the questions we all put forward or something else?
          Precisely that!

Comment

I am like a stray dog, lost in between what I do and what I should do.
            But sometimes, all you need is Imagination.

Comment

How soon is it, I cannot not wait.
              I am like a stray dog, lost in between what I do and what I should do.
              But sometimes, all you need is Imagination.

Comment

I'll work on it right now. Incoming....

Comment

I can't do it right now. Recovering but slowly. Post it in a new thread (not the old one that I locked.) I'll news later if no one else does.

There are mapping news too and a few other morsels.

Just post the QA in a thread and let the people read it.
                  Scout's Journey
                  Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Wow, I'm super excited! We need this like, within several days. Don't worry, I will count them for you. (Gosh, this is like Christmas).

Comment

I hope everyone can look past the lack of formatting or what not. For those who do not know, in 2014 I was adamant at getting Quakeone.com positioned to where it could offer a free download for Quake1, that actually worked out of the purchase/investment (buy quake on steam, shits broke,find people to help fix it/get it running).

The moment Mr. Romero responded with the greenlight for me to bounce questions off of him to reach my goal of Q1 offered here, That seemed very selfish of me, I had an opportunity to either

a]Be seflish with what mattered to me...

or

b]Change course, involve the community in a Romero Q&A.

I put my desires/wishes for Q1 multiplayer freely hosted @ Quakeone.com 6ft under dirt.

Quake Community > Mindz , pretty simple math.

Originally posted by Quakeone.com's Q&A

Hi Chris, sorry it took so long:

Shadowswift [I have to be the asshole and ask Romero if he's read any of "You Find Yourself in E1M1", if so, what does he think? Where could I improve as a creative writer in his opinion? *url http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-tal...self-e1m1.html
                      A: I used to write stories like this with my friends where we’d write a sentence in an adventure and each person would either try to kill the character, save the character, or just do insane stuff. It’s a lot of fun. I read the thread on quakeone.com and saw it was interesting to some.

Shadowswift [Where is Romero living now? If it's away from home, does he miss Dallas/Richardson? (As fellow Dallasite/Richardsonite, I just gotta know )]
                      A: I’m living in silicon valley in California. I don’t miss Dallas as I was there for 11 years and had plenty of it.

SSCHM [Tell him I said "hi," and ask him if he wants to 1v1 me on DM2.]
                      A: I don’t ever really deathmatch over the net – only here at my place……or at GDC.

Wick3dLord [Mr. Romero, [NP]•striker• wants to know.... when are you going to stop by CAX and get gRaped?]
                      A: I was at CAX last year but didn’t see any deathmatching, just lots of pinball and classic games.

JDSTONER [if you could ask how quake one and quake 2 are connected... this question has been baffling us single players for a long time]
                      A: Quake 1 & 2 are not connected at all. After I left there was an internal backlash against my design for Quake One, so they invented the Strogg and it all had nothing to do with the Lovecraftian lore we constructed in Quake One.

JDSTONER [also ask if there was anything they wanted to put in quake they just could not do at the time. what hit the cutting room floor.]
                      A: The cutting room floor of Quake One had a ton of stuff on it. The game was originally not going to be an FPS with guns. Even redesigning the game as an FPS was more elaborate than what we shipped.

JDSTONER [oh yea one other thing see if you can get the story out of him of that photo i posted of him trent from NIN and robin Williams seems like a strange combo there must be a good story to it. ]
                      A: I never saw this photo.

Mindz [I heard through the grapevine you are working on a new first person shooter game,I was curious as to if Quake would be having an influence of sorts on this game?Also, as you could imagine, us die-hard Quake1 fans have been yearning for that mythical new game that accurately captures the intensity / atmosphere that we've come to love about Quake1 multiplayer. I've played many modern first person shooter games,and none have actually done this in my opinion. ]
                      A: Both Quake and DOOM are heavy influences on my new shooter’s design.

Mindz [Would you ever consider utilizing the Quakeone.com community as beta testers for you're next or future projects?]
                      A: Yes, I probably would, as well as doomworld.com.

Zop [So, let's ask him what his favorite question was, at least one that stood out apart from most.From either this episode of "Between two Quads" or previous Q&A'S]
                      A: Favorite question from where?

Adam [Q.Do you have any advice for game developers who are just starting out?
                      A: Yes – learn at home. Read online guides. Practice 1000x. Make small projects, lots of them.

Q. What elements do you believe make good gameplay?
                      A: Interesting decisions for the player. Awesome feedback for their actions. Mystery.

Q. Has your outlook changed in the last twenty years on how to make games?
                      A: Yes, I’ve gotten much better at it so my outlook has changed.

Q.If you had still been at id when Doom3 and/or Rage had been created, would you have made them differently?]
                      A: I would not have made any more DOOM games after DOOM 2. I wouldn’t have made Rage because Fallout 3 was already out, and a post-apocalyptic future is an overdone setting.

Talisa ["has romero ever regretted leaving ID?"]
                      A: Definitely not.

Talisa ["what does romero think how the future of ID (after quake) wouldve looked like if he hadnt left?"]
                      A: We would not have made endless sequels of our games, we would have kept making new games where we release a shareware version and a full-price version. Our business model would have changed at some point, but we would have kept making brand-new games.

Talisa ["what are romero's favourite game-mods?"
                      and im not just talking about mods of ID-games, but just in general, of any games there are]
                      A: Counterstrike, TF2 and Portal are awesome mods that got fully developed.

Mindz [I heard through the grapeinve you are working on a new first person shooter game,I was curious as to if Quake would be having an influence of sorts on this game?Also, as you could imagine, us die-hard Quake1 fans have been yearning for that mythical new game that accurately captures the intensity / atmosphere that we've come to love about Quake1 multiplayer. I've played many modern first person shooter games,and none have actually done this in my opinion. ]
                      A: The intensity and atmosphere of the game is incredibly important. It will have its own special feeling to it.

Mr.Burns/Monty [1. As with a lot of collaborative projects the end result is often a hybrid of the ideas formed from the individual contributions, a collective vision if you will. It might be interesting to get John's take on how different Quake may have looked and felt were it hypothetically a "Romero only" development.
                      A: The original idea behind Quake was to see how well we could make a hand-to-hand fighting game in 3D. We would have experimented with camera angles/positioning and really dynamic character interactions and feedback. I can’t say it would have turned out great during development and we would have changed direction if so.

2. In what direction would John liked to have taken quake in the sequels?
                      A: I would not have made a sequel past Quake 2.

3. What are John's views on the more recent developments such as the SMC, Darkplaces, FTE, and Qrack.
                      A: I absolutely love the source ports of Quake. Darkplaces is my fave so far. What I really want is the music playing without the CD.

4. Just to echo Talisa's idea, what was/is John's favourite Quake 1 mod?
                      A: I don’t play Quake mods because I’m always busy making games. The runes and grappling hook were, of course, epic.

5. What are John's hopes and suggestions for the future of Quake 1?]
                      A: Well, to me Quake One was done when we made it. I don’t see it going anywhere except having fans creating more levels and pushing the boundaries of what we made and maybe better expressing what we were going for in the areas of exploration, seeing amazing architecture, experiencing surprising and fun gameplay, and figuring out better ways to terrify the player.

John
                      ——————————————————————————---------------------------------------------------------------
                      John Romero
                      john AT rome . ro
                      planet romero|my gaming past, present and future
                      Hope its enjoyed.....

-Mindz/Chris

Comment

another thing ,once this Q&A hits the front page, I'll reach out to PappyR over at PlanetQuake and a few other websites that might influx some traffic our way, or spark someones faint memory "Hey I remember that game,would be cool to play it again!"

As that was my main goal, multiplayer Q1 influx of players (pipe dreaming?)

Who knows, the Q&A could very well drive more traffic / gamers to our community , than what my original ideal or prospect.......

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                          over at PlanetQuake
                          Methinks that shutdown a few years ago.
                          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

That was great! Today should be a new holiday! Screw Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                              Methinks that shutdown a few years ago.
                              So, scratch PappyR and PlanetQuake However, don't scratch my capacity to make noise... You know this first hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X