Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way to Play Vanilla Maps with Nehahra Baddies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way to Play Vanilla Maps with Nehahra Baddies?

As it's coming up to Quake's birthday I've had my annual love-in with Nehahra. I've played through the game again - though I don't think I'll ever beat it on Hard! I've also sat through the movie for umpteenth time.

It really made me want to play through the vanilla game but with the Nehahra baddie behaviour. The way the charge at you and strafe like a mofo really ups the tension in a fire fight.

So, is there a way to play through the vanilla game (and perhaps expansions) with that behaviour. I use Aguire's 2007 of NehQuake for all things Nehahra.
    I got the phone call at 4 a.m.

Hello Hipnotic Rogue,

Yes sure.
    1.) Fire up your favorite mod: Nehahra
    2.) Open your console and type: map start

It is not that hard
    Enjoy your complete Quake episodes in Nehahara style.

One thing you have to know about mods:
    They are all build upon the good old original Quake source as base.
    That means most of them (99%) still have the ID1 gamecode intact.
    Yes, even Chton or Shub gamecode.... even they do not use them in their mod.

That is also the case for Nehahra.

The only thing you have to know is that Nehahra adds new features to Ogre for example. He shoots nails instead of grenades if his classname == monster_ogre. If his classname == monster_ogre_marksman then he will shoot the regular grenades.

Due to fact that the ogre always has the classname == monster_ogre in original ID1, he will always / only shoot nails when playing with Nehahra mod in ID1.
    But you can switch this very easily. You have 2 options:
    A) Create .ent files and replace monster_ogre with monster_ogre_marksman
    or B) Edit 1 single line in Nehahras source code and recompile it.

Thats it.

Mission pack 1 and 2 of course also are based on good old ID1 gamecode, so you can play through original Quake episodes with mission pack 1 or 2 game mechanic. Start your favorite mission pack and type map e1m1 into console.

To give yourself the additional weapons and stuff, you need to cheat of course.

Your last question:
    You cannot play the mission packs with nehahra mod, because all the new monsters / powerups / etc. are not part of Nehahras gamecode. Like mentioned above.

Have fun with Nehahra in ID1
    Seven

PS: Every Quake mod should have the run+fire feature. You are correct.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Seven. I was going to reply yesterday but I was far too busy shooting baddies!

It's given the original levels a breath of fresh air for me. I wish there was an option in a source port that offered Nehahra or bot style baddie behaviour. It'd probably break some maps but it'd be fun nonetheless!

A pity about the mission packs. Still, playing vanilla this way is better than nothing.

Thanks again, Seven.
      I got the phone call at 4 a.m.

Comment

Originally posted by Hipnotic Rogue View Post
        I wish there was an option in a source port that offered Nehahra or bot style baddie behaviour. It'd probably break some maps but it'd be fun nonetheless!

The decision is in your hands:

Start your favorite map this way (original Quake style):
        my_favorite_engine.exe +map my_favorite_map

Or start it this way (With Nehahra enhancements):
        my_favorite_engine.exe -game nehahra +map my_favorite_map

Best Regards.

Comment

Working...
        X