A QuakeC Idea...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A QuakeC Idea...

So, one of the problems I have with just using the standard qc files is that they all depend on quake assets in some ways, or just have guff on them that you don't want when you are making a mod that does not involve Quake (like what I am trying to do). I want to see a new version of qc that should not be hard to do, which include the following:

- Absolutely no reference to enemies whatsoever.
    - All sounds, models, and the like are not referenced by the code.
    - The player.qc file has no animations or model calls.
    - Water physics are still in client.qc, but there is no code to let the player drown or take damage.
    - All weapons are removed, but the weapon frame and impulse loops are kept in, just empty.
    - There is no way for anything to do damage, but the damage code is still available in that case.
    - All triggers are still available, besides ammo and weapon triggers.
    - Things like light definitions will stay in for mapping convienience

So, there is more I can list, but all I am trying to do is make it to a point where you are just a player that can move and jump, and that's it. No enemies, weapons, heath, anything. Just a clean base to start making games.

Sounds good in theory, but if you abstract things too much it also gets hard to understand and adapt.

I agree though that it would be great to have a minimal based game that doesn't depend on Quake1. Several attempts have been made in the past to create that, but in the end not too much came out of those.

I guess most people felt that Quake1 is a pretty bare-bone minimal standard for a FPS game...

Comment

Super Mario Quake?

YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...

Comment

Quake from scratch: Preface,tut1,tut2,tut3,tut4

base files
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

this is qc for multiplayer only, just delete the references in clint and player.qc, items.qc and boila

https://icculus.org/twilight/darkpla...s/mponlyqc.zip
          the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Like gypsy said, do the scratch tutorials. It is as bare-bones as it gets. Seriously. I did it once in the failed attempt to make a standalone game in DP.
            'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

The gamecode is what defines a game. The gamecode is inside the progs.dat in Quake.
              If you want to make a game that is different to Quake but want to use a Quake engine then you have to write your own gamecode.
              That leaves the basic question: Why you should use a Quake engine?

If you want to make a game where you can only move and jump as you say, you need to change or rewrite a lot of gamecode. Or you can use engines which work totally different. Engines that can use gamecode blocks for individual features. You will find tons of available gamecode blocks that can be used for sandbox engines.

If your project differs too much from Quake you should rethink your engine of choice. Just like gb did, before he left FTE and Quake. Or you will end up complaining. The Quake from scratch project will lead you to the same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                If you want to make a game where you can only move and jump as you say, you need to change or rewrite a lot of gamecode.
                Or maybe just strip the weapons away from the player? If you do that, don't include any ammo/weapon pickups in your maps and don't allow the enemies to drop ammo, then the player will never get any firepower.

If your project differs too much from Quake you should rethink your engine of choice.
                Not necessarily. Sock and PuLSaR's Explore Jam 1 is a prime example of good non-shooter based gameplay in Quake.
                ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Working...
                X