• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NewDM: A new look at Quake Deathmatch

--

FLANDERS.SERVEGAME.ORG:26003 is hosting NewDM 0.07

New additions to NewDM 0.07:
    • exiting non-start map will teleport you to the start of the map. There is a 20% chance that the teleport will have a phobos miscalculation
    • 50GA, 100YA, 150RA
    • pent gives 30 seconds of 75% health protection and no armour protection

Ideas for NewDM 0.08:
    • change the weapon switching so the weapon doesn't switch when you're holding a SSG, SNG, GL, RL, or LG.
    • change the discharge damage from 35*cells to 17*cells. This is because the max cell ammo limit is now 200 and it's faster to grab lots of cells. Right now discharging is twice as powerful on whitehot.quakeone.com
    • (todo)Look into start map corners with Rockets
    • Remove name "" exploit
    • Announce who won the match during intermission. Also mention if it was by fraglimit or timelimit.
    • a fix in e2m6
    • The RL at END bug. I'm 99% sure it has to do with id's original code where they switch up self and other through weapon pickup
    • The shmack style of picking up weapons
    • A vote-nextmap option
    • Frikabots come to play automatically if there's 2-3 players in the map. That or a voteable option to spawn a bot
    • observer mode
    • vote-tdm and vote-dm
    • custom maps
    • vote-idmaps, vote-custommaps, and vote-allmaps
    • no telefrags on new map start with many people
    • use thunder sound that baker mentioned to me when a vote is being called

Wishlist from the people for LordHavoc to fix/add in the DarkPlaces server:
    • the ability to mask ips (C*S request)

Possible additions for a future update:
    • take note of your best life span, frag count, damage dealt each map.
    • weapon of choice? :/
    • Add optional announcer sounds provided by Bank
    • More powerups [discuss powerups here]
    • Achievements [discuss achievements here]
    • Alternate Intermission rules to add some spice to winning

Current Weapon Damage Per Second:
    • AXE 40dps
    • AXE + EYES 160dps
    • SG 48dps
    • SSG 180dps
    • NG 90dps
    • SNG 180dps
    • GL 200dps
    • RL 150dps
    • LG 300dps

--

With my mod WhiteHot currently in development and Phenom wanting to host a DM server that's fresh, I came up with some ideas to enhance the experience of Quake Deathmatch. What did these ideas revolve around? OK I'll tell ya! My ideas focused on:

That's right. I went out of my way to figure out how players could die more often. I wanted to make a deathmatch where anyone could win and still have fun. This gave birth to NewDM. This mod gives a fresh new look at Quake DM. It's almost how Quake should have been for deathmatch.

As most of you should know, Quake is abstract. It's a rushed project from id software that had to meet a quick deadline. Most of what you see in Quake is only 3 months of coding from id's programmers rushing to put the game together.

So what did we get? A game with 80% absorbing armour and a Rocket Launcher. That's the only weapon of choice in this game. There's no way you can win in any deathmatch game by using the SSG or the SNG. It's RL RL RL.

So NewDM was created. As always you start off with crap weapons which won't help you much in fragging people. Understandable. That's how most Deathmatch games are like. Since the Nailgun sucks even more than the Shotgun, you now start out with that weapon as well along side 50 nail ammo. Sweeet!

The SSG is now a powerhouse that can do 6-180 damage depending on the distance between you and your target. The SNG fires like a freakin beast and the LG is an aimbot's best friend. The GL and RL were not touched, only the other main weapons were enhanced to make them just as effective. Now you can grab any weapon on the battlefield in order to frag someone like you would with a rocket. Sweeeeetness!

There's also lots of Green armour to be passed around. You can never have too much Green armour. Weaponstay is also on. Anyone can respawn, grab a SSG and blast the leading fragger into little chunks of splattered meat.

The Ring has been upgraded to provide you with a stronger axe that does 80 damage (320 with quad). Great for sneaking up behind people and axing questions later!

Drowning doesn't effect armour now, so your health will decrease faster. This makes water more deadly and the bio suit more effective. Along side that advantage, the bio suit also provides health regeneration. So for those of you being mad at how long the MegaHealth takes to respawn, just grab the bio suit. It respawns every minute! Falling damage does realistic damage. The damage you receive from falling depends on your momentum.

Critiques love it!

Monster: I like it so far, but an FFA with more people would help to get a better feel. Personally I think the big rocket packs should have 3 or 4 rockets instead of 2. The axe upgrades with ring and ring + quad giving 8x damage, make the axe useful to sneak behind people... Good so far. I like the SNG and SSG, makes them alot more useful. again, more people would help get a better feel for it.

Scar3crow: Most satisfying SSG kills ever (catching C*S hopping to jump to the MH in dm1, i reflexively turned to the right and fired once, sending his body off the edge into the bottom of dm1). SSG refire rate makes you feel very vulnerable if you dont disorient your opponent or kill them instantly. SNG may be overpowered, but I cant say for sure yet. Sounds wonderfully cruel however at that fire rate. this makes for much faster deathmatch, which is a good bit more fun and changes the center of many maps. I do love playing this.

Frenzy: I don't dm too much, but this kind of makes me feel like I'd play it quite a bit.

But this mod is no where near from being completed. Only you can help improve the experience! Provide feedback on what you liked and disliked and how anything can be improved. I'm open to everyone's opinion. This mod is not final. This is a field test for a much greater project. Quake needs your support to make Quake more diverse and fun. I will never host a mod with only my ideas implemented into it. I'm want NewDM to be completely unbiased. Help me make a polished mod =)

Currently Added Features:
    • new ammo limits
    • ammo box changes
    • no back pack drop
    • Super Shotgun is more powerful, has a wider spread, costs more shells, and reloads slower
    • Increased SSG pellet damage from 4 to 6
    • Nailgun is now a starting weapon
    • All nailgun spawn points are replaced with Green Armour
    • Super Nailgun fires faster now doing Nailgun damage and Nailgun ammo cost
    • Increased SNG Nail velocity from 1000 to 2000
    • Lightning Gun does less damage but is updated more frequently
    • 50GA, 100YA, 150RA
    • pent gives 30 seconds of 75% health protection and no armour protection
    • Biosuit lasts for 60 seconds and also regens health
    • Ring lasts 60 seconds and gives you x4 axe
    • Armour is no longer affected by drowning. (This makes water more deadly and the bio suit more useful)
    • Rotten health respawns every 10 seconds but only gives you 5-10 random health.
    • Weapon Stay
    • no firing when respawning
    • sound when player joins server
    • death message and attack sound for a shubby area kill
    • can only use the kill command once or twice every minute
    • Instead of droping backpack, drop weapon
    • include e1m8, e2m7, and dm1-dm6 into the map rotation
    • exiting non-start map will teleport you to the start of the map. There is a 20% chance that the teleport will have a phobos miscalculation
    • respawning explosive barrels
    • falling damage is judged by velocity
    • step down stairs like you would run upstairs without the "OOF" noises (Darkplaces cvar)
    • all data resets on map change. You don't carry health/armour/weapons/ammo between maps

So connect to whitehot.quakeone.com and play some games! After playing, provide feedback here. Then play some more games!!!

Happy fragging!

CONNECT FLANDERS.SERVEGAME.ORG:26003
    Last edited by Canadian*Sniper; 02-27-2008, 05:59 PM.

I just jumped on, although my Darkplaces crashed the first time since it was on Start (I can't figure out how to get rid of that "other" start map that comes with dp), so I tried it with Qrack and I was really laggy. When the level changed I jumped back on with DP and it was fine.

0 = crashed DP
    33 = current DP
    400 = Qrack

It's odd how different pings can be based on what engine you use. Just wanted to point that out.

Comment

"Rotten health respawns every 10 minutes but only gives you 5-10 random health."

Eh?
      16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
      16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

I shouldn't have announced so early. I addressed this problem to LordHavoc and he quickly compiled a new beta which fixes this problem. I'm sorry about this.

problem: other netquake clients will get choppyness when the dp server runs QUAKE protocol. FIXED BY LORDHAVOC

I dropped Avalanche a note asking for the server to be updated again.

Originally posted by Lardarse View Post
        "Rotten health respawns every 10 minutes but only gives you 5-10 random health."

Eh?
        HAHA woops. I meant 10 seconds. me fixes that.
        Last edited by Canadian*Sniper; 06-11-2007, 12:39 AM.

Comment

I like to emphasize the individual strengths of each weapon, and with that in mind I like these changes:

nailgun - 5000-10000 velocity, 9 damage (90/s is good damage if it is actually hitting consistently).

super nailgun - 5000-10000 velocity, 9 damage per shot, fire individual nails but twice as often (it's actually slightly overpowered in the right hands with the velocity increase).

shotgun - 40-50 damage and give it the ssg sound (because the normal sound sucks), make the spread a little tighter (more useful for finishing shots when rocket juggling, or for longer range fights), increase refire time.

super shotgun - 120-200 damage, increase refire time, make spread even bigger, so it's basically a close range annhilation weapon, or if you like wasting ammo you can sometimes finish off a weakened player by peppering them at longer ranges.

Now some more informal discussion of the weaknesses of the other weapons and how to make them excel even more at their specialties, these are not serious suggestions, merely discussion:

grenade launcher - the greatest weakness of this weapon is that it does not explode on impact with the floor, it becomes immensely easier to use if it does (yet still worse than the RL due to slower shots and gravity), and remains useful against someone chasing you, but grenade jump tricks go out the window, and so do bank shots (but these are infrequently used).

rocket launcher - the greatest weakness of this weapon is its low velocity, increasing that would however require a reduction in damage to compensate.

lightning gun - the biggest weakness of this weapon is that it takes a lot of skill to track someone at short range, extending the range to allow it to be used at long range turns it into a truly sick weapon, damage would have to be lowered to compensate, or perhaps made distance dependant.

Comment

Originally posted by QuadRaptor View Post
            I just jumped on, although my Darkplaces crashed the first time since it was on Start (I can't figure out how to get rid of that "other" start map that comes with dp), so I tried it with Qrack and I was really laggy. When the level changed I jumped back on with DP and it was fine.
            What other start map? DarkPlaces doesn't include any files, it's just an engine.

Comment

definatly need pak drops also weapon stay is fine, but make it like shmack where you can get the weapon again after so long, that way you dont wind up with no amm o at all like i did several times and there were only 3 people playing. get more people and we would all be axing eachother. everything else is fine imo.

Comment

I was getting 33 ping with darkplaces also, but then again, my ping wasn't changing, so I don't think that was my actual ping.

Comment

darkplaces pics

dp pwnage gfx
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LordHavoc View Post
                    What other start map? DarkPlaces doesn't include any files, it's just an engine.
                    Think he might have meant the server. It has a weird-ass dm2 on there as well...
                    16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
                    16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

The server hosts some alternate id software maps. I will check this START map problem.

edit: Quad I noticed nothing. I don't really understand the problem either.
                      Last edited by Canadian*Sniper; 06-11-2007, 01:28 AM.

Comment

I noticed on DarkPlaces servers using ProQuake as a client, that I see ^7 in a lot of places involving the name.

I just wanted to point that out.

To Canadian Sniper: Please do whatever you have to do to enable automatic map download on Whitehot for DarkPlace clients (if it isn't) and also please don't run the iddms map.
                        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                          To Canadian Sniper: Please do whatever you have to do to enable automatic map download on Whitehot for DarkPlace clients (if it isn't) and also please don't run the iddms map.
                          The automatic map download is on by default but that's no needed since it's playing on the id maps. So I guess that answers your second request :]

edit:

Frenzy apologized for exiting on the startmap. Don't. I never intended the start map to be played for DM. It's more of a WHICH MAP LIST SHOULD WE WARP TO? map. I have noexit 4 on which means you can't exit a map unless it's START.
                          Last edited by Canadian*Sniper; 06-11-2007, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Yeah basically DP comes with a completely different game, and I can't figure out where the maps to it are unless they really are on the server (which shouldn't be because the two "starts" would conflict).

I'll screenshot a few of the levels later today and make a seperate topic for it since I don't want to get into it on Sniper's topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                              I think a good mix of old and new would be a good thing. You play something that you're familiar with, and that makes it more comfortable, and then you play something that's new and that makes it feel fresh.

Comment

Working...
                              X