I need a good tool to open and edit .pak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a good tool to open and edit .pak

Hello, I need this tool to translate games, I need it to be a good version to open both old and new games

regards

Pakscape.0.11

(Usually some random barnacle head that has never created anything of value will jump in and say Pak Explorer. Pak Explorer cannot handle file names exceeding 8 characters and a great many maps, skyboxes, textures have names longer than 8 characters. PakScape has none of these crippling limitations.)
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

http://focalor.tastyspleen.net/zip/pakscape-011.zip

If I recall correctly, PakScape can be used to open, edit, and compile both Quake1 and Quake2 pak files as well as Quake3 pk3 files.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
        Pakscape.0.11

(Usually some random barnacle head that has never created anything of value will jump in and say Pak Explorer. Pak Explorer cannot handle file names exceeding 8 characters and a great many maps, skyboxes, textures have names longer than 8 characters. PakScape has none of these crippling limitations.)
        Haha! that was the first thing that popped into my head -- PakExplorer. I just got barnacle'd.

Comment

Why in hell would someone make an app that can only open files with up to 8 character names? Why would the name length have any restrictions? I'm gonna make an engine that will only open maps that specifically use this vertex

[12.5555, 128.00008, 0.98712]
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
            Why in hell would someone make an app that can only open files with up to 8 character names? Why would the name length have any restrictions? I'm gonna make an engine that will only open maps that specifically use this vertex
            I think because original Quake was DOS Quake and DOS only supported filenames as 8.3 or something like that. But Quake and Quake pak files never had this limitation. And Pak Explorer is a Windows app and Windows never had that limitation. Pak Explorer is a great name. And at first glance, it seems like a nice tool.

So who knows. If you never use it to do anything, it works great! If you go to actually do something real, you get the rudest of all surprises and then have to go get a REAL TOOL, which would have been nice the first time. The first pak editor I used was Pak Explorer so I was constantly aggravated, it wasted a lot of my time -- I was newb and didn't know any better and didn't know there were other tools.

Pak Explorer might as well be malware. If you recommend it to someone, you are just hurting them.

Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Unfortunately, it does not work for me, I want to translate

Carnivores Dinosaur Hunter Reborn and kreed: Battle for Savita (this one is in Russian but there is patch in English)
              Http://www.devisraad.com/savitar/

Any idea guys?

I also thought later to translate the classic quake,

Comment

Pakscape should open it if it's a .pak file. Is there maybe a way you can temporarily upload the pak file in question somewhere for people here to tinker with?

Comment

PakScape has crashed on me numerous times. It would be nice if there were more current updates of these.
                  Secret Level - Quake fandom & my custom levels

Comment

Originally posted by dumptruck_ds View Post
                    PakScape has crashed on me numerous times. It would be nice if there were more current updates of these.
                    Runs fine for me, but yes, sometimes it is buggy. If you try to view images or sounds directly from the pak file in Pakscape, it'll refuse to do so or freeze up. Although I don't remember ever having that issue on my WinXP or Win98 boxes, so perhaps the problem isnt the prog itself but that the prog wasnt designed to run on newer OS's, thus the unforseen compatibility issues/bugs.

Only advice I could offer is try not use it for "browsing". Extract the contents of the pak to a desktop folder and then look through it from there. Also, don't run too many things when saving/compiling. Turn off any progs that are resource hogs and try to let Pakscape be the only thing going when saving... I've had it stop mid-save before when saving larger pak files. Also try to only open and edit one pak at a time.

Comment

PakScape is one of the few quake tools I have that runs flawlessly. But I have it on XP, could very well be the reason.
                      'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                        ...few quake tools I have that runs flawlessly...
                        Yeah, and many of these programs lacked idiot-proof documentation back when they were current, and there's even LESS documentation floating around now about them. Figuring out how to work them today if you're brand new to them is mostly an exercise in trial and error. When I started learning modelling for Quake2, it was recommended that I try a program called Q2Modeller. A few years later... I STILL have no fucking idea what to do with it, haha. I just have it sitting in a folder as a, uh... virtual paperweight, I guess, lol.

Comment

The specs for pak look pretty simplistic. You could probably spin your own pak reader/writer in JavaScript. Mostly just find some JavaScript read/write bytes tutorial and contour it to the specs. A little diligence plus some trial and error and you'll have it working in no time.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't .pak files just renamed .zips? I might be confusing them with .pk3s...
                            ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                            ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

I used to get the same confusion. Pk3s are renamed zips.

​​​​​Im home, showered, fed and caffeinated. I want to take a stab at parsing a pak... A little "on the side" script. My goal is 1 hour. I'm confident in this goal.

Obviously, I don't mean full fledged GUI style. If I get all the proper bytes out of each entry I'll feel accomplished regarding my level of care for this...which is quite low.

Comment

Working...
                              X