Shrak source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrak source

Was the QuakeC source for Quantum Axcess' Shrak TC ever released or at least reconstructed by anybody? I'd like to get my hands on it but can't find it anywhere. Considering even the Malice QC was eventually produced, I thought the one for Shrak should also be available by now.
    Authentic Models Pack
    OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
    LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Hello NightFright,

Yes, Shrak can be decompiled with regular tools.

Regards,
    Seven

Comment

Hi Seven!

Well, I tried to decompile it by myself, and also someone else over at the Func_Msgboard, but the results are not satisfying. It seems files are missing, mostly stuff from the original Quake content. Stuff like demon.qc, shambler.qc or oldone.qc. This isn't indicated by any error message during the decompilation process, though.

One could argue that not all qc files from id1 are needed, but you are supposed to be able to play all original id1 maps with Shrak content as well. Boss.qc is missing the first 60% of its code. Also some texts are either cut or messed up, e.g. the episode ending text, and would have to be reconstructed.

While the decompiled code can be recompiled successfully with a few adjustments, the resulting progs.dat is 100 KB smaller than the original and the game won't launch with it.

I have never done this before, but I know that decompilation rarely gives you fully usable code directly and manual adjustments are needed. While I was able to make the compiler errors go away, it doesn't help if the result won't work, anyway. My QuakeC knowledge is very limited, to say the least...

Why I want this:
      I intended to fix at least two text-related issues, one with a hub text not showing completely after returning from level #7 or so, plus removing a wrong episode ending text from the original Quake campaign after finishing the game. As a bonus I wanted to reduce enemy HPs on Easy since most of them are massive bullet sponges, even the standard mobs.

I was able to fix two showstoppers via .ent edits already (getting stuck underwater in level 2 due to the gold key button moving towards you instead of into the wall and a circuit card not spawning on Easy in the penultimate level).
      Last edited by NightFright; 12-19-2020, 11:06 AM.
      Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Shrak never claimed to be a mod as far as I know. It is a total convertion. So it does not need to handle id1 stuff.
        Though it should be quite easy to bring the missing code back in if needed.

We have the Shrak qc, so all the rest is in our hands.
        Mod it, mix it, extend it. It is up to you
        That is the good thing about qc.

Have fun tinkering with it.
        By the way, the recompiled progs.dat is not 100 KB smaller here.

Best Regards,
        Seven

Comment

To see some of the issues you experience, I quickly fired up good old Shrak with original and recompiled progs.dat.
          Both behave the same. Shrak as well as ID1 stuff and maps load and play fine with recompiled progs.dat.

So, first of all, you should try to make the recompiled progs run the game as robust as the original Shrak progs.
          Once you achieved this, you can continue to mod/extend/mix it with other code.

This sentence from you in specific makes me worry:
          While the decompiled code can be recompiled successfully with a few adjustments, the resulting progs.dat is 100 KB smaller than the original and the game won't launch with it.

As mentioned, I do not experience this issue.
          Maybe have a second look into your code.

Best of luck,
          Seven

Comment

Can you maybe upload your decompiled source somewhere so I can compare it with mine? And which program do you use? I tried with frikdec 2.7.

I would just need a working code base, the modifications I would be able to apply by myself. Naturally I would publish the result here later on, together with "sauce".
            Last edited by NightFright; 12-19-2020, 12:31 PM.
            Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Hello NightFright,

Madfox already gave you a hint of additional decompilers.
              Both publicly available decompilers: Frika C´s and Spike´s can handle Shrak´s progs.dat.

You have to use your diff tool to compare their created qc files to bring the best of both worlds together.
              And fix all the code that is necessary to make it work like the original Shrak´s progs.dat.
              There is more to fix than you might see at first glance.
              Hint: No errors during compilation does not mean the code works as the original one.
              When you use your diff tools you will find out

There is no use of uploading my decompiled code, as i am using the same tools.
              You have the "working base" already.
              Now its time to fix code. A perfect opportunity for you to learn more about QC.

You can be sure that it is possible, as mentioned in my prior post.
              You will also have the original complete intermission texts when follow that path.

Best wishes and have a great christmas time.
              Seven

Comment

Sorry, I am not willing to do something again that has already been successfully done by someone else just for the sake of "learning something".

My main domain is the Duke3D community and I intended this to be a minor side project, not anything I have to invest several days into. Not everybody has the time or motivation to dig through thousands of code lines for the sake of fixing an exotic mod from 1997. All I wanted to do was to fix 3-4 annoying things I noticed while playing it again. My QuakeC knowledge is limited, enough for small fixes, but not to reconstruct missing code or puzzle it together from different sources. Great to know others can do it, though.

I had assumed it would be way easier to get at a working version of the uncompiled code. Obviously, this is not the case.
                Last edited by NightFright; 12-20-2020, 01:32 PM.
                Authentic Models Pack

Comment

this:
                  Originally posted by NightFright View Post
                  Sorry, I am not willing to do something again that has already been successfully done by someone else just for the sake of "learning something".

My main domain is the Duke3D community and I intended this to be a minor side project, not anything I have to invest several days into. Not everybody has the time or motivation to dig through thousands of code lines for the sake of fixing an exotic mod from 1997. All I wanted to do was to fix 3-4 annoying things I noticed while playing it again. My QuakeC knowledge is limited, enough for small fixes, but not to reconstruct missing code or puzzle it together from different sources. Great to know others can do it, though.

I had assumed it would be way easier to get at a working version of the uncompiled code. Obviously, this is not the case.
                  I get, totally.
                  I've got stumped on quake mods due to this kinda thing twice now...

tis indeed irksome...

Comment

OK, after swalling down my initial anger and frustration, I actually did what Seven said and compared the code Madfox posted over at Func_Msgboard and my own decompiled code via frikdec. Using WinMerge and comparing each file individually (which took several hours), I was indeed able to puzzle together a working version.

There are still a few bugs to sort out after this, but in general the game seems to work as intended and the fixes I wanted to apply work as well. It's possible I will be able to release something after all. (I could be a dick now and withhold the modified source, but I am not like that. OFC it will be included, even though the original rights remain with Matt Walsh from Quantum Axcess, wherever he might be right now.)

However, this does not change my previous criticism in general. It's one thing if someone isn't able to help and suggests that you try on your own, but if that someone actually finds a solution and withholds it just for the sake of self-teaching, the limits of my patience and understanding is reached. It's nothing against Seven personally (I hope he gets that), but this is a general attitude that can easily push me over the edge.
                    Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Hey NightFright.., I have the idea there is some kind of misunderstanding. We were talking about decompiling shrak code and how to make it accessable for use in mod files. I don't think it is the question of submitting a simple shrak.qc, but how it is obtained. I used FtEqcc, you did frikdec.., so this won't lead to an clear outcome. For now I'm looking for frikdec26, and in all my attempts I see two leave on another board with code but no sunmission.

Gorok is a real eyecatcher!
                      Last edited by Madfox; 01-08-2021, 12:30 PM. Reason: clearance

Comment

I have already managed to arrange a working set of Shrak qc files for a while now, utilizing the results of both decompilers. Still working on some issue with the utility vest before I can publish my results.
                        Authentic Models Pack

Comment

In the meantime, I have finally figured out everything and provided a finished patch for your enjoyment.
                          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Working...
                          X