Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zircon Alpha 10 Release ("DarkPlaces Mark V") With Mouse Driven Menu

Site / Download: https://www.moddb.com/mods/zircon-engine

Zircon Alpha Release 10 ("DarkPlaces Mark V Project") has a mouse driven menu everywhere, select/cut/copy/paste/undo in console and 125 improvements all-around including the server browser.

Attached Files
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Any plans on making this compile in Linux like DP does? I've tried to compile this in Linux since the intail release where darkplaces compiles fine. I am getting what I think are syntax errors before it errors out in the terminal soon after
    Code:
    make release
    is entered. I didn't see a GitHub or code base online so I thought I would try here.

Code:
    make[3]: Entering directory '/home/retro/games/_tools/zirconenginewindowsonly20230408/zirconsource20230408/build-obj/release/darkplaces-dedicated'
    cc -MMD   -Wall -Wold-style-definition -Wstrict-prototypes -Wsign-compare -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wmissing-prototypes -DLINK_TO_ZLIB -DLINK_TO_LIBJPEG    -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D__KERNEL_STRICT_NAMES -I../../../  
     -O3 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-math-errno -ffinite-math-only -fno-rounding-math -fno-signaling-nans -fno-trapping-math -c ../../../sys_linux.c -o sys_linux.o
    ../../../sys_linux.c: In function ‘Sys_SetClipboardData’:
    ../../../sys_linux.c:147:9: warning: statement with no effect [-Wunused-value]
     147 |         Sys_SetClipboardData
         |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ../../../sys_linux.c:147:29: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
     147 |         Sys_SetClipboardData
         |                             ^
         |                             ;
     148 | }
         | ~                             
    ../../../sys_linux.c:148:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
     148 | }
         | ^
    make[3]: *** [makefile.inc:516: sys_linux.o] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/retro/games/_tools/zirconenginewindowsonly20230408/zirconsource20230408/build-obj/release/darkplaces-dedicated'
    make[2]: *** [makefile.inc:455: bin-release] Error 2

Comment

I'll see if I can make Linux compile today, especially since you are are doing high quality info for me. Thanks!
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Very cool. Looking forward to trying this. I made heavy use of the old Mark V mac client.

Comment

Hey Omi could you use merge the Xage post and mine from the other same thread into this one sometime.
          This thread triple posted.

(Honestly,I thought no one ever used the Mac version of Mark V (because almost no Mac users of any Quake client) but it was very nice and I enjoyed playing Quake on the Mac with it.)

xaGe - Linux compile slowly taking shape. Some more work to do to it.

Comment

Now comes with Linux binary or compile from source using "make sdl-release"

Xage, let me know how it goes, everything seemed fine. I think I did everything right, but I am a bit of fish out of water when it comes to Linux.

Comment

Hello-

First off, I want to be the 1st one to congratulate you on such a fine work here (well maybe I didn't want to be 1st, but it so happened maybe hehe). I am very glad and happy Quake is still going and it has gotten even a new engine here - how awesome!

I did have 2 or maybe 3 questions, to get started to uhh get the gears working, as to say, to know what I'm doing with it. So here goes:

1) How is the Multi-Player? Is it good? Or is this more of a Single-Player graphical engine slated more for offline use/ play? I know our Internets evolved quite so much lately so the graphics is no longer a problem to transmit over data lines to cause lags during online play, that heavier graphics would not affect it right?

2) I am indeed looking for a very nice and pretty engine to ehh, this part may sound a bit ambitious maybe, but here it goes.. I do plan to and I want to play all Quake mods made from Quaddicted or MODD and put to my YouTube channel (it's an ambition to play everything Quake haha), so I'd like it to look as best as possible, nice, bright, easy to see, colorful and engaging video-images. I do plan to play Quake forever, right? Haha, so anyway would this engine be good for that, allow me to all play those mods and TCs? (I think all Quakers should play the mods and TCs, I mean let's take advantage of that, experience the greatness of more Quake lands to explore, and that's why they're there for right? - to be played! haha)

Lastly, can you offer some guidance to possibly pair this engine with the best (size on disk not mattering) looking Quake Textures Pack. I did look on MODB but it's all so much (confusing, what to use). I don't really know which to pick or where to start lol. Maybe the other Quakers here would also appreciate this too. Or is this engine really enough to make things look better by itself without needing the graphical paks? (By looking at the screenshots here). I really don't know since I uhh.. not used Quake much lately, especially working with the more technical aspects of it.

So to be more clear, I'm looking for some graphical texture paks to plug to use in here - this Mark V Quake engine. How do you do it, where do the files go, and where can they be gotten from? Can you provide links or something to those and a little guide - that would be much appreciated. The last I remember MoonDrunk's textures were great, or QRP, are those still valid or what?

I'm trying not to talk to much but once I start it's hard to stop lol (especially about Quake, right? haha), trying to be brief here as much as possible, so sorry for maybe long post here haha

Thanks again for this (new) engine work, and I shall try it soon and umm.. it looks great by the screenshots and I'm a wee bit excited to see it in motion

P.S. The website here is so sloow, what's going on with that? lol

G'day
              The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

Gem, please consider reposting your question at the following and I (plus others) will try to answer. all the little details and any followups..

https://www.celephais.net/board/view...=62234&start=4

It is taking too much time for me to post here. Sometimes it takes 2 minutes to log-in here (if it even works) and then 3 minutes to try to edit a post. It's driving me crazy. Small things chewing up 30 minutes ... argh!
                Last edited by Baker; 04-11-2023, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Haha yea, figured that, similar experience here. Like this site ate some serious big lag-pie
                  I am somehow learning to navigate it, and the log-in time was about 17 seconds - still kinda long btw
                  (but maybe manageable idk..)
                  Curiously enough, posting time wasn't an issue for me (yet)
                  But if you forget your password or screw it up, it's gonna be a loong line (happened to me twice now)
                  Maybe if I'm careful, I may not step on a lag-mine in this minefield again
                  Still though, this site seems pretty dead, deserted and in disrepair
                  What happened to it, what happened here?
                  Ok, will register at that other place shortly
                  (I will have to deal with more mouse button clicking and umm... like paying attention to stuff on screen,
                  yea like registering someplace is a serious business, no typo's to be made haha)
                  Last edited by Gem; 04-12-2023, 02:36 AM. Reason: ..was testing editing time

Comment

Yea posting took about 11 seconds for me
                    ..ohh statistics ..lol
                    The site says 'working' a lot, but what's it working on??
                    Probably baking another lag-pie there
                    Reminds me of an old ehh computer
                    -Have patience dear user, I'm busy working here-
                    (can't you see, that all my lights in this cabinet are all blinking)
                    haha

Comment

Thanks for this, Baker.

Trying to compile June 16 version on Linux, I get this error:
                      Code:
                      `sdl2-config --cflags` -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D__KERNEL_STRICT_NAMES -I../../../ -DCONFIG_MENU -DCONFIG_CD -DCONFIG_VIDEO_CAPTURE -O3 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-math-errno -ffinite-math-only -fno-rounding-math -fno-signaling-nans -fno-trapping-math -c ../../../dpsoftrast.c -o dpsoftrast.o -msse2
                      ../../../dpsoftrast.c:239:22: error: size of array element is not a multiple of its alignment
                      239 | typedef ALIGN(struct DPSOFTRAST_State_Thread_s
                      | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ../../../dpsoftrast.c:45:36: note: in definition of macro ‘ALIGN’
                      45 | #define ALIGN(var) var __attribute__((__aligned__(16)))
                      | ^~~
                      make[2]: *** [makefile.inc:504: dpsoftrast.o] Error 1
                      make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/[user]/Downloads/games/Quake/zircon_616/zirconsource20230610/build-obj/release/darkplaces-sdl'
                      make[1]: *** [makefile.inc:455: bin-release] Error 2
                      make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/[user]/Downloads/games/Quake/zircon_616/zirconsource20230610'
                      make: *** [makefile.inc:416: sdl-release] Error 2

I guess it's a GCC-11 error:
                      https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-its-alignment

Tried G
                      CC-10 (if the method of switching compilers worked?) and got a different error.

I think I got a different different error with GCC-9.

Anyone have any ideas?
                      Last edited by gulliver-trans; 06-25-2023, 08:01 AM. Reason: Tried more things.

Comment

I would post that at

https://www.celephais.net/board/view...d.php?id=62234

where due to Quakespasm there is a population of Linux users. It compiled for me in a very recent ubuntu and I played it a bit and it worked fine for me.

Comment

@gulliver : Did update at moddb with Linux binary , I hope that helps.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/zircon-engine

Comment

Working...
                        X