Rant against EZInstallers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant against EZInstallers

I know it's great to make quake newbie-friendly, but that shouldn't come at the cost of making it less friendly to veterans. I absolutely refuse to use any EZInstaller. they piss me off--instead of just being able to unzip something and delete it when i'm done with it, i have to install something, have some registry entries (and we all know those add up and bog down the computer over time), have a folder in the start menu and/or program files, and run an uninstaller when i'm done. i know you really like them baker, but please, please, please, when you offer EZInstallers in the download section, please also offer them as normal zips. i think most of us know how to use mods by now

I've bugged Baker whenever I saw some quake material I wanted that was only available in EZInstaller form. What downloads are you talking about?

Comment

most recently, slide

Comment

I told you to download the slide .pk3... comes in a zip format with all the files inside.
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

I have to side with spooker. I think they're great to have, .... as long as you have a duplicate zip version with it.

We need to get more people playing slide, instead of Clan Arena all the time.

Download SLIDE and connect to:
          lab.ihoc.net
          port 26008
          Last edited by Bam; 11-03-2007, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spooker View Post
            I know it's great to make quake newbie-friendly, but that shouldn't come at the cost of making it less friendly to veterans.
            Welp ... I really didn't and don't care about veteran players, to be quite honest. My goal was to help the less computer literate be able to play/participate in this stuff.

If you are a veteran player, most of the downloads have links to the OFFICIAL web site for whatever the download is.

If you are a veteran, you can either click that link or Google it and download it yourself.

I absolutely refuse to use any EZInstaller.
            Good. I don't care if you use it. Never did

Thanks! :d

i think most of us know how to use mods by now
            True, but mostly because Quake is mostly dead because we don't have any new players because I guess the servers are supposed to cater to dead-enders tastes (which appeal to no one else, especially not new players) and are rude (and alienate new players) and often play gayly.

Almost every download has a link to the real site, and there is Google and the QuakeOne Navigator.

Sorry, but I just ain't interested in hearing whines, Spooker.

Like Sole, Yellow, Rook, Phenom and Bam, everyone who contributes to Quake is a volunteer and I have to say I don't have much sympathy for this kind of complaint.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

i know you think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's not true to say that this site is aimed just at newbies. if so, it would die pretty quick. find me one veteran who prefers EZinstallers over a straight pak file. if you really want to be the center of the entire quake community, you should cater to both audiences. i really wanted to play slide, but i couldnt because all i could find was your godamn ezinstaller. the official site had a link to some crappy download service where i had to wait 45 minutes. it just seems like we can do better than this
              Funny how you mentioned Bam.... well he agrees with me (scroll up), so does snipes (another person who actually contributes something, unlike me)

Comment

Funny how you mentioned Bam.... well he agrees with me (scroll up), so does snipes (another person who actually contributes something, unlike me)
                I think the EZInstallers are great for newbs and that veterans shouldn't waste their time with them. The only complaints I've ever had with them are how the source code wasn't provided (my personal preference to see what's in the source before I run the executable) and that some of the download links were only provided in EZInstaller format and not 7z/zip.

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper View Post
                I've bugged Baker whenever I saw some quake material I wanted that was only available in EZInstaller form. What downloads are you talking about?
                It's been a long while since I've encountered that problem so I don't consider myself a supporter of spooker in this thread.

Comment

I support spooker

Comment

I know it's great to make quake newbie-friendly, but that shouldn't come at the cost of making it less friendly to veterans. I absolutely refuse to use any EZInstaller. they piss me off--instead of just being able to unzip something and delete it when i'm done with it, i have to install something, have some registry entries (and we all know those add up and bog down the computer over time), have a folder in the start menu and/or program files, and run an uninstaller when i'm done. i know you really like them baker, but please, please, please, when you offer EZInstallers in the download section, please also offer them as normal zips. i think most of us know how to use mods by now
                    SOMEONE PLEASE CALL THE WAAAMBULANCE!!!!

"If we fight for money I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it." - Rickson Gracie

Comment

HAhaha that made me choke on my soda

whine-one-one lol
                      QuakeOne.com
                      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

thanks mith! i am coming to your house to gunk up your registry

Comment

You should really send ME to do that job... :/

Comment

I don't have a registry
                            "If we fight for money I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it." - Rickson Gracie

Comment

find me one veteran who prefers EZinstallers over a straight pak file.
                              Ok, I'll name one person: Tia.

But don't think because I bothered to answer that that I care about the question, because I don't :d

The download page for Slide has a link to the Slide page. It doesn't get any easier than that.

i really wanted to play slide, but i couldnt because all i could find was your godamn ezinstaller.
                              Correction: You could have. The URL of the Slide page is on the download page, you could have used that.

Or you could have downloaded the installer. Or as Canadian Sniper mentioned, you could have used the DarkPlaces .pk3.

it just seems like we can do better than this
                              From my perspective, my own goals for helping people are twofold:

1. Help clueless newbies so they don't get frustrated, have it work the first time and have it work EVERYTIME.

2. I don't have any interest whatsoever in answering super-newbie questions like "where do maps go" or how to do simple task x,y,z. Therefore, in all possible cases ONLY non-frustrating downloads are made available.

In the case of Slide, the actual original download itself is UNAVOIDABLY frustrating as hell. To encourage the downloading of an unavoidably frustrating download is something I myself will not do because I am not willing to answer the accompanying questions (see #2 above).

Go ahead and try the REAL slide download. It's a mess. And it requires -game xxxx.

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper View Post
                              The only complaints I've ever had with them are how the source code wasn't provided (my personal preference to see what's in the source before I run the executable)
                              Happy now :d It's absolutely harmless, which is why with the tens of thousands of installations there have been no complaints aside from the "I don't like installers on philosophical grounds."

[Types]
                              Name: "full"; Description: "Full installation"

[Files]
                              Source: "quake\*"; DestDir: "{app}\"; Flags: recursesubdirs createallsubdirs

[Code]
                              function NextButtonClick(CurPageID: Integer): Boolean;
                              var
                              VarX: Integer;
                              IsQuakeDir: Boolean;
                              begin
                              case CurPageID of
                              wpSelectDir:
                              begin
                              { Is pak0.pak in the ID1 folder for selected folder? }
                              IsQuakeDir:=(FileExists(ExpandConstant('{app}')+'\ id1\pak0.pak')=true);
                              If IsQuakeDir = False then begin
                              { No Quake Found in installation folder selected, ask if want to proceed anyway }
                              VarX := MsgBox('Error: Quake not detected in selected folder. Would you like to select a different folder?' #13#13 'The folder you selected does not appear to contain Quake. This installation should be installed to your existing Quake folder.' #13#13 'Do you want to select a different folder?' #13#13 'Pressing No will proceed with folder as entered.', mbCriticalError, MB_YESNOCANCEL);
                              If VarX=idno then begin
                              { User selected No, Proceed despite not being Quake folder }
                              Result:= true;
                              end else begin
                              { User selected Yes, wants to select another folder }
                              Result:=false;
                              end;
                              end else begin
                              { Quake was in the folder, so no prompt and proceed like normal }
                              Result:=True;
                              end;
                              end else begin
                              { On a screen that doesn't have anything to check with a function }
                              Result := True;
                              end;
                              end;
                              end;
                              Anyways, when the .zip download of a file is reasonably hassle-free, the file is potentially popular enough to be worth the effort, is not redundant (as in duplicated at, say, the author's site) and possible, the file is in the download section already. Slide is not anywhere close to reasonably hassle-free.

But back to square 1: my goals for helping people is to make a sure-fire, never fails/never frustrating experience possible. Additional information is provided on every download page usually with information on where a zip or the original site is and so forth.

In my opinion, I have difficulty imagining a true legitimate complaint for any of the download links since additional information is provided on almost all of those pages.
                              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
                              X