Gooland is Back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gooland is Back!

Rah and I decided to go nastalgic and throw the Quake server back up. We are running Artifact-RJS as modified by Rah back in the day. I'm not looking for a server competition, I just want to throw the old server up so Rah and I can play and if any of the old-timers find this (which I am sure they will) they can appreciate the old days.

The server is up and running at gooland.gotdns.com although I have to admit I need some testers as I "think" I have the port issues worked out.

One thing that is perplexing though is all of the different versions of the executable. At my desktop (Vista) I am running GLpro 3.99e but at the server (XP) it will not run, I have to use the 3.99c version, makes no sense.

Anyways, I'd appreciate some feedback if you test the server.

Troy

I just jumped on and the server is very nice. I pinged about 78, which is pretty good for me, and I had no lag problems.

I used DarkPlaces (July 25, 2006 version) and am on XP.

I'll see if I can pop back in later if anyone else is on there. I'm an old school Artifact Quake player.

Comment

Thanks Quad, I seen you join in so I guess the port issue seems to be good. Glad to hear you had a good ping. The server should prove to be a good pinger for most.........

Troy

Comment

There's a guy who visits this forum sometimes who goes by the name Baker, he might be of assistance.

Good to see you back again, Troy. Hope life has treated you well.

Also, you heard Phil Hartman is dead?
        "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

Originally posted by Troy McClure View Post
          At my desktop (Vista) I am running GLpro 3.99e but at the server (XP) it will not run, I have to use the 3.99c version, makes no sense.
          Just some bad timing luck. :d

3.99e was made earlier today and has a lightly-tested change that apparently does not react well in all situations.

Troy, you made want to add your server to www.quakeservers.net and at http://www.gameaholic.com/servers/add/
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Thanks Baker. We just had 4 of us old Goolander's on there for about 2 hours and had a ball.

I'll get it onto the lists.

Troy

Comment

Death Knight volunteers himself.

ill check it out later today.

...if i can figure out my latency issues.

Comment

It better have axe-hook, I will log into it later.

Comment

I could not connect, "no response," what is going on 3:06 EST.

Comment

Baker, you are the man posting this up on the front page, I really appreciate it!

I was having some issues with crashing yesterday so if you could not get in it was me "figuring it out", it does however look like I have the problems worked out.

It's been up since about 5pm yesterday with no glitches. I do want to do some other work on it though so you could find it going in and out the next hour or so. This is because of the executable I am currently using (old winquake) it could be as simple as changing my .bat file and pointing to the new executable, I'll cross my fingers.

When I get these little things worked out I'll get the server posted to the lists.

Troy

Comment

Looks like changing just the executable worked. I am running the latest 3.99g version both at the server and my desktop and all is working well.

I added it to the server lists, I was disappointed to see that gameaholic required an ip and not a friendly name.

Hope to see you guys there.

Troy

Edit, now running 3.99h and toying with the newly released rune source
                      Last edited by Troy McClure; 01-24-2008, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Just played this with Troy... it rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by IEEE 802.11 View Post
                          There's a guy who visits this forum sometimes who goes by the name Baker, he might be of assistance.

Good to see you back again, Troy. Hope life has treated you well.

Also, you heard Phil Hartman is dead?
                          IEEE, didn't want to leave your post go without acknowledgement. Glad to see you still involved. I've followed Quake a little bit in the last 5 years and have seen your name almost every time. Great to see you part of keeping it alive.

Life is treating me well, I have lots of success in both business and family, I wish the same to you.

As for Phil, yeah, that's why I keep the name.

Troy

Comment

There are many others who have done a ton more than me. I just dabbled with runes and goofed around. Baker is the big guy!

I played some at Gooland tonight and had fun. I also formally challenge you and Rah to DARE to camp the top of that level with the bridge and open sky above! I forget the level, but I think you would remember me getting so frustrated there that I would just run up to you and wait to be killed, lol.

We have unfinished business there!
                            "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

You the man Troy. Jumped on today for the first time in maybe 5 years? Not a bad ping, around 200-300 from Australia. Might start getting back into it
                              Last edited by Chuckles; 01-24-2008, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X