Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't read too many threads that don't interest me, but I just read this one ... WTF?!?!

http://www.quakeone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3342
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

So when is this going in place?
      "I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an expirimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
      Author of The Ascension of Vigil

Comment

Policies I would favour (not sure if the forum software supports them):

3 strikes and you're out
        Anybody can make a mistake once, so they get a warning. If they do it twice they get reminded. A third time and there's something more happening here - IP ban.

A "cooling off" bin for threads
        Where a discussion becomes too heated, it's moved to the cooling off area for a temporary period - day/week/month/whatever. Threads in there cannot be posted to by forum members. At the end of it's cooling-off period, it's moved back. If bad behaviour continues it's deleted. No questions and no appeals. I suggest this because there are certain subjects which are by their nature controversial, and can inflame even the most level-headed person.

Bans and suspensions, with public announcements
        IP bans can be worked around for sure, but combine it with a public announcement of who has been banned, for how long (if it's only a suspension) and for what can help to send a clear signal to everyone that certain behaviour is not tolerated.

"On report" periods
        Persistent offenders who have not earned a permanent ban can be put "on report" when they come off a temp ban - anything they post does not appear in the forum until approved by a moderator. The "on report" period can likewise be for a day/week/month. Abuse of this (by posting several hundred times while "on report", or by immediately resuming bad behaviour after coming "off report") is grounds for a permanent ban.

Self Moderation
        Like any other community there will be a lot of senior and/or well-respected members. These can assume an unofficial role of "self-moderating" the forum, by stepping in and warning of bad behaviour. These warnings wouldn't count towards "3 strikes", but if enough folks do it, it can help a lot to make the forum a much nicer place. This works incredibly successfully on another forum I'm a member of.
        IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

"On report" periods
          Persistent offenders who have not earned a permanent ban can be put "on report" when they come off a temp ban - anything they post does not appear in the forum until approved by a moderator. The "on report" period can likewise be for a day/week/month. Abuse of this (by posting several hundred times while "on report", or by immediately resuming bad behaviour after coming "off report") is grounds for a permanent ban.
          Give that man a cookie,or whatever else he wants. If that could be implemented, that would be a perfect fix.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I've voted yes, but I would suggest that you implement what another forum that I visit sometimes calls the "Drama rule". I will quote it directly:

Anyone that starts shit in the future gets a day ban.
            Both parties involved get banned unless one is blatantly instigating.

This is to:
            * Give both people time to cool off
            * Keep things from getting worse

This does not mean people will be punished the second something starts. Only when it's quite obvious it's going to keep going and getting worse will action be taken. If you've got a problem with it, too bad, it's only a day.
            16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
            16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeC View Post
              So when is this going in place?
              It is not, do not get your hopes up, pretty boy! I will still slap you around if you are cheeky to me. LOL!

Look, you people make these rules as if you run this place.

Let the boards be free as they have been. If you do not like it then step out.

As a general unwritten netiquette rule, be polite to others. If you cross the line and disrespect others expect to see some heat. Mods must not get involved. Then we get into censure and all that other crap.

As a general rule, I strongly believe that no racism must be involved. There is freedom of speech, some of you even curse, I do not. We are different. You can not police the Internet, and you can not police this forum. Do not let this become as Widomaker, as it will fail.

Some may ignore your flame, some may give you heat for it. It depends on a lot of factors.

Most importantly, stop crying to the mods if you get your butt kicked in flame you started. You brought it upon yourself. Stop being a big fucking pussy about it.

Do what you want and have fun. The ignore button is right there at your fingertips, and if flame is bothering you personally and you can not take it, use it. It is optional and at your disposal.

The board is self-regulated. Stop complaining and leave it as it is. Topic closed.

Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradi$e View Post
                Look, you people make these rules as if you run this place.

The board is self-regulated. Stop complaining and leave it as it is. Topic closed.
                #1 who appointed you as the person who makes the rules and telling people how to behave on these forums?

#2 weren't you the one who started complaining by private messaging Baker and telling him to delete posts and/or ban people for flaming you?

Comment

[ Moved a number of posts so things don't get off-track here. ]
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

My post directed at Sole was extremely topic specific.

I am not mad. I am seriously considering withdrawing from these forums as I did all I can. Baker, I am fed up with you deleting my posts, editing them and moving them behind my back without my permission, knowledge and consent.

They are extremely respectful and I broke no rules, yet they hit the mark. This is not the way to run a forum that you claim to be "free."

In the end this forum is not related to RuneQuake, the mod I play most. Slot does not do this sort of manipulating posts. You do not do it a lot, little in fact. It makes a difference, as you are lessening the impact of my posts, interferring with my original intent which is bothering me.
                    Last edited by Paradi$e; 03-14-2008, 01:07 AM.

Comment

I had to figure out somewhere to split the posts.

I sure wasn't going to have Solecord's post be the first one. :d

Baker, I am fed up with you deleting my posts, editing them and moving them behind my back without my permission and knowledge.
                      I think the cornerstone of moderation is that the person moderated would never give their permission.

I thought a flame war in this particular thread made the entire thread look ridiculously stupid so I moved it.

A flame war in a thread about how to stop flame wars? No. Not in a thread I started. Not in a thread I started because sometimes I think these arguments make our community look dumb.

If you want to argue with people, this is quite honestly the dumbest thread to make the attempt. But I left you post with your thoughts on the subject intact.

/And you certainly aren't the only person who I've edited/moved/deleted posts ... ask Omicron sometime. Or Phenom. I don't play favorites.

Comment

This is outrageous!

My response to Sole was in the same vein as the others. How in Heaven is that a flame? Really!

Flame is where you insult. I did not insult anybody. In that post I stated my opinion. If you moderate people's OPINIONS what sort of forum is this?

I am not a favorite. And you have the audacity to compare me with Omicron and Phenom - those 2 cretins - this coming from an Admin!

I am beyond dissapointed.

I am done with the Quake talk here.

I will make a thread in the Media section as I want to showcase some of my art. Besides being extremely excellent in Quake, I am an extremely talented artist as well.
                        Last edited by Paradi$e; 03-14-2008, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Many artists draw based upon their life experiences. So I expect to see many black phalluses in your drawings.

Comment

Last I checked on any forum on the internet mods can do whatever they want.
                            Last edited by RenegadeC; 03-14-2008, 12:20 PM.
                            "I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an expirimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
                            Author of The Ascension of Vigil

Comment

This is outrageous!
                              outrageous?...

This!

IS!!

QUAKEONE.COM!!!
                              Last edited by Phenom; 03-14-2008, 12:18 PM.
                              QuakeOne.com
                              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                              Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                              Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

This is outrageous!
                                I don't know about outrageous, but I know what is a little hypocritical:

Someone posting replies in threads demanding that I ban someone by someone who is doing the same thing. Outrageous is someone private messaging me demanding I ban people. Outrageous is someone being outraged at trivial moderation, by being the same person demanding that I ban someone else.

Originally posted by Paradise
                                As a general unwritten netiquette rule, be polite to others.
                                If you followed half the ideas you have posted, it would make the forum a better place.

I was in amazed when Omicron was posting non-stop trash and then you decided to post non-stop trash as a response and then "demanded" he be banned. And when I told you no, you sent even more demands that I ban him and starting spamming threads.

Anyone that knows me knows that I hate the ideas of forums bans for anyone who actually plays Quake.

Sometimes I think the right thing to do would just to ban you and Omicron and be done with it.

But really, it would be better if both of you could just figure out where it is and is not appropriate to start ruining threads, like Solecord has mentioned above.

Omicron hasn't been much of a problem there, he stopped doing that a month ago [for the most part].

So my question for you: can you at least contain yourself enough to limit where you initiate these things? Omicron seems to be able to do it. Can you?

Comment

Working...
                                X